Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 500 sat in my garage for over a year while I was recovering from a wrist injury. I'm getting it ready to ride again. I cleaned the carbs (removed the carb, checked the floats, cleaned the jets, etc.), changed the oil and filter, and replaced the gas with new stuff. The bike starts just fine and idles with or without the choke but if I give the motor any gas, it sputters and dies. ??? Everyone I've asked tells me I probably have a clogged jet, but since I removed each one and cleaned them with a tiny wire and sprayed carb cleaner through every hole, I think it is something else. Any suggestions? If this has been addressed before, please refer me to the thread. I tried to search, but did not see anything on point.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
try to back flush the gas line ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Maybe check to make sure the petcock is on? My buddy's Gold Wing would idle for a good while with it off, but give it gas and it'd shut off immediately.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nick D said:
My buddy's Gold Wing would idle for a good while with it off, but give it gas and it'd shut off immediately.
My EX is perfectly happy doing the same. Caught me after doing some routine maintenance stuff and had me quite annoyed until I realized what I'd done. Oops.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
ydant said:
My EX is perfectly happy doing the same. Caught me after doing some routine maintenance stuff and had me quite annoyed until I realized what I'd done. Oops.
We messed with his for quite a while before we just gave up. We'd just torn off all the fairings and accessories and thought for sure we'd missed a wire or a hose somewhere and couldn't find anything loose. In the middle of the afternoon, 1 or 2 days later, it just popped into my head that we hadn't turned it back on. I called him and asked if he'd ever turned it back on or checked where it was set and he pretty much breathed a sigh of relief. It's so simple it's stupid, but it's such a nice feeling when you realize that's all you did wrong :p.

·
Registered
244 Posts
FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C, FINE-C...

:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a stab but did you clean your pilot jets?
Refer to the FYI section. Pictures and procedure are there.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

2dogs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran home last nite, praying I had been dumb enough, but no - the petcock was on. Bummer. Looks like I'll be trying again this weekend :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Symptoms sound very close, though, that*'d be the first thing I'd check (*that = fuel delivery - like a pinched or clogged line or filter, busted vac hose, etc). Sorry you didn't get stupid, I mean lucky :D.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You may have accidentally re-assembled the carbs incorrectly. I made a dumb mistake and placed the needles on top of the plastic pieces which rest inside the springs. That gave me the exact same problem as you are describing. It'd idle fine, but give it any gas and it would die right away.

Correct order is: Needles, plastic dingies, & then spring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eXce!!eNt said:
You may have accidentally re-assembled the carbs incorrectly. I made a dumb mistake and placed the needles on top of the plastic pieces which rest inside the springs. That gave me the exact same problem as you are describing. It'd idle fine, but give it any gas and it would die right away.

Correct order is: Needles, plastic dingies, & then spring.
Hey, I think you wrote this email right after I got my carbs put back together - the right way! You're exactly right - I had the needle and the plastic pieces in the wrong order. That, and I used compressed air in addition to the carb cleaner and was able to blow some new bits of crap out of the jets. So HOOORAY!!! My bike runs great again!
Thanks to everyone who had advice! ;D

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Glad you got it straightened out. No problem on the advice - anytime you need a reminder to turn on the petcock I'll be here!

Good, dare I say great call, eXce!!eNt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts