Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation, I commute 70mi round trip. I ride in all weather (with the proper gear). Lately if the roads are wet the bike will start to cut out and miss for a minute or two. Usually it loses power and I have to pull in the clutch and coast. Sometimes it stalls all the way but not regularly. I thought it was the switch on the clutch lever but it seems ok now. I was having an issue where the bike would shut off if I tried to start off side stand up, in gear like normal. To get to work, I removed the clutch switch from the bars and left it plugged in. I'm hesitant to reinstall it if I'm going to have issues with it. I have ridden for years and don't really care if the bike starts with the side stand down. I just don't want to be stranded somewhere on the side of the turnpike or something.

Has anyone successfully removed their side stand switch without having to rewire that whole system? The neutral light works and I'd like to reinstall the clutch switch also. According to the battery thread the clutch lever switch is 2 position but I couldn't identify what circuits do what. I'm going to tear into it but I wanted to see if anyone had been there before.

Oh yeah, I have cleaned the plug boots and replaced the plugs at one time. Dielectric grease was applied to the boots as well. I don't think it's wet ignition as it happens when roads are wet and not raining.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
a quick test to rule out your clutch switch and the kickstand would be to try to start the engine on neutral.

If it doesn't budge, it's either the neutral safety switch or something not related to safety switches.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bike should start (ignition) with the stand down. On my bike, anyway, the sidestand switch only cuts the motor if it is open (sidestand down) and the clutch is released.

To disable the side stand switch you won't have to rewire the whole system. The side stand switch just closes the connection when the stand is UP. To bypass, just take the two wires going into the switch and connect them together.

This is based on the wiring diagram in the EX500 service manual supplement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I yanked the side stand switch as it was sticking. I tested both switches in all modes and couldn't duplicate any problems. In fact, I don't think they worked at all. Unfortunately, I also cannot duplicate the cutting out problem either. I taped up the clutch switch and the side stand switch. I'll have to see if it happens again. I didn't feel like getting wet tonight . I'd hose it down while it was running but we're on water restriction and with my luck I'd get busted for washing my bike. (they're offering a reward if you report a violator)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: It's still doing it... :mad: I have noticed it happens gradually and under certain circumstances. It seems to build up instead of being on/off. Wd-40 wasn't any help. If it starts sputtering and I pull over the bike will idle fine. I'm thinking water in the airbox or something. Very frustrating...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts