Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting too much in this section.

Today WAS going to be a great morning. Got my permit yesterday, got my registration paid up, even got insurance ready to go. I was all set to ride to work this morning.

Except I can't get the key to unlock the ignition. It's stuck in the "Lock" postion. I rode it fine on Thursday around my neighborhood, parked it like normal on the center stand, and put in "Lock". Never given me a fit of trouble.

Is there anything I can try besides replacing the ignition?

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Are you sure the steering is not just loading the lock pawl so much you can't move it? Try wiggling the bars as you try to turn the key.

FOG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually reached under the lock with a flat head screw driver and jiggled the pawl while I turned the key. Nothing. It feels like something inside the lock is keeping the pawl from retracting. It's kind of hard to explain with words....

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
but did you release the side pressure on the pawl????

FOG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think so, I had the bars tilted a little to the right before I lifted up on the pawl. I didn't want to put to much pressure on the metal tab that the pawl rests against. I had tried rocking the bars back and forth before I tried to turn the key, but to no avail.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Hummm, maybe its the tumbler of the lock itself. Try lubeing it. Spray silacon spray down into the key hole and you might as well spray the pawl area too. You caqn remove the whole assembly The fastners that look like rivits are just bolts that the heads snap off when attached. they can be tapped out with a center punch applied in a counterclockwise manner.

FOG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let some WD-40 sit in the lock for about 15 minutes. That seems to have done it. Lock works fine now. Kinda weird problem to have....

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Be sure to follow up with some silacon or other lock lubricant. WD 40 is Not one of them.
As a matter of fact, I would recomend to anyone who owns any Motorcycle, that a can of silacon spray should be in your tool kit. Use it for anything that moves. Especially the cables and the throttle grips, spray the fork seals too.

FOG

·
Registered
94 Posts
FOG said:
Be sure to follow up with some silacon or other lock lubricant. WD 40 is Not one of them.
As a matter of fact, I would recomend to anyone who owns any Motorcycle, that a can of silacon spray should be in your tool kit. Use it for anything that moves. Especially the cables and the throttle grips, spray the fork seals too.

FOG
What brand / name silicone spray do you recommend ? I'll pick some up at the dealership if they have that brand.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think silacon is the brand name, unless he made a typo. if not just ask for lock lube it'll probably be all the same.

·
Registered
244 Posts
FOG, make a typo? Unpossible.

Silicone spray - I can't imagine they are really that different from brand to brand. Just pick up something like this:

And go to a hardware store - less of a premium on the same stuff.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Kroil works fast as a lube and penetrant.

I just got my bike this week and it had been sitting outside, I imagine, from the amount of rust on it for a three year old machine. I couldn't open the seat lock to charge the low battery. The key wouldn't move. A few minutes after the Kroil application and it worked fine.

I'm afraid to try the fork lock on mine, after your tale of woe!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts