Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is max and i just recently got a 97 ex500! Owner told me the bikes been sitting for a couple years but has never had any problems before putting it to bed for 3 years. He said the carbs need to be cleaned and it needs brake lines and a new ignition bc he lost the keys. He DID give me a title so its legit.
I was just wondering what kind of wierd issues have u guys encountered with ur bikes so i can look out for when trying to get this thing running. This is also a summer project so please comment anything i should look out for on these bikes! Thanks so much, here are some pics

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome! Good looking bike. Over all take care of it and it should take care of you, not too many huge or strange issues. The forum is full of helpful people too!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
With a little work I'm sure you can get that bike in great riding condition. Looks like you have all the plastics so that's a good thing!!! Most of these "barn finds" are missing plastics are are hard to come by.
Go through the entire bike. Obviously there's going to be some breakdown of areas involved but once you get her up and running...they are fun bikes to ride.

Take some time to read through the many posts on here. Use the "Search" and you'll find what you're looking for. If not there are some members here that know EVERYTHING about these motorcycles. And I mean EVERYTHING!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also you can get a key made using the numbers on the bike, just FYI to save you from replacing ignition, gas cover and the lock for the seat.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll save you the search

·
Registered
319 Posts
New fuel is a good start. I would be shocked if the carbs do not need cleaning, they are likely gummed up. Battery may be shot on your bike.

I would give the bike a thorough wash from top to bottom. Nothing worse than wrenching on a filthy bike.

The bike looks really good all things considered.

Welcome!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum!
With a little work I'm sure you can get that bike in great riding condition. Looks like you have all the plastics so that's a good thing!!! Most of these "barn finds" are missing plastics are are hard to come by.
Go through the entire bike. Obviously there's going to be some breakdown of areas involved but once you get her up and running...they are fun bikes to ride.

Take some time to read through the many posts on here. Use the "Search" and you'll find what you're looking for. If not there are some members here that know EVERYTHING about these motorcycles. And I mean EVERYTHING!!!
Yea i got super lucky, i actually got the bike for free if u can believe it. And its only got 8k on the motor. Guy was gonna scrap the bike lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New fuel is a good start. I would be shocked if the carbs do not need cleaning, they are likely gummed up. Battery may be shot on your bike.

I would give the bike a thorough wash from top to bottom. Nothing worse than wrenching on a filthy bike.

The bike looks really good all things considered.

Welcome!
Yea the battery's shot and so are the brakes. For a free bike its not bad. Ive seen whole brake setups for like 70$ and the carb cleaning shouldent be too hard ive done it multiple times on dirt bikes. Ill let eveyone know the progress soon but currently im stuck in italy due to corona 😔 and had some friends pick it up for me in the states. Hopefully ill get to it soon and ill post if i encounter and problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll save you the search
Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum!

Yesss! Im very happy i found this fourm so i know i can have help from someone who knows more about these bikes than i do! I will update the fourm once I start working on it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is another picture of the bike. I notice some ripples or bubbles on the gas tank. Could that be sanded down and repainted or is it wiser to just get a new tank?

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMO it is looking like a 99.9% likelihood those bubbles are rust. And those are large bubbles, so I expect the rust underneath to be extensive. Even to the point that the tank could be in big trouble. Without removing the paint and attacking the rust, it's hard to know how bad the damage actually is.

It's a real shame. Everything else looks quite decent. The chrome on the pipes really look like they escaped damage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO it is looking like a 99.9% likelihood those bubbles are rust. And those are large bubbles, so I expect the rust underneath to be extensive. Even to the point that the tank could be in big trouble. Without removing the paint and attacking the rust, it's hard to know how bad the damage actually is.

It's a real shame. Everything else looks quite decent. The chrome on the pipes really look like they escaped damage.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome! Good looking bike. Over all take care of it and it should take care of you, not too many huge or strange issues. The forum is full of helpful people too!
So is it possible that if i find a 1997 ex500 key on ebay it will be the same one as mine? Because in the link u sent i heard their called blank keys and considering the bike is 23 years old i would think all the keys are the same

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Not exactly. A key blank is just that. A blank. It hasn't been cut yet. So if that is what you mean, then yes, it doesn't matter what key blank you get. Any EX500 blank can be cut to work.

Just a random EX500 key that has already been cut.....not so much. I mean, it may fit but the chances are pretty slim.

And I agree with @Davenay67 that rust is likely terminal. It's bubbling up through the paint so it has to also be doing so inside the tank. As it is so near the seam, it will be quite difficult to repair.

A used tank in good condition is probably your best bet. Or, if you know of a talented welder, you might be able to get a damaged tank and have the section cut out to replace the rusted section on your tank.

Either way, it will need to be repainted to match the rest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not exactly. A key blank is just that. A blank. It hasn't been cut yet. So if that is what you mean, then yes, it doesn't matter what key blank you get. Any EX500 blank can be cut to work.

Just a random EX500 key that has already been cut.....not so much. I mean, it may fit but the chances are pretty slim.

And I agree with @Davenay67 that rust is likely terminal. It's bubbling up through the paint so it has to also be doing so inside the tank. As it is so near the seam, it will be quite difficult to repair.

A used tank in good condition is probably your best bet. Or, if you know of a talented welder, you might be able to get a damaged tank and have the section cut out to replace the rusted section on your tank.

Either way, it will need to be repainted to match the rest.
Yea the tank situation u need to look more into it but ill figure somthing out. Ill also have to sand it down and make sure its nothing serious i hope. Or at least the inside dosent have rust so i can use it to get it running. Would u know how much this bike would be worth once running smoothly. Including fixing the tank and giving it a nice wash. Motor has less than 9k. Also would ceramic coating the bike be a good idea? If i wanted to make the paint look alittle more vibrant and maybe also help with protecting the old paint would it be worth it and would it be wise to do it on a moterycle? Im talking about a 60$ kit not a shop thats way to much 💵💵

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea the tank situation u need to look more into it but ill figure somthing out. Ill also have to sand it down and make sure its nothing serious i hope. Or at least the inside dosent have rust so i can use it to get it running. Would u know how much this bike would be worth once running smoothly. Including fixing the tank and giving it a nice wash. Motor has less than 9k. Also would ceramic coating the bike be a good idea? If i wanted to make the paint look alittle more vibrant and maybe also help with protecting the old paint would it be worth it and would it be wise to do it on a moterycle? Im talking about a 60$ kit not a shop thats way to much 💵💵
I meant "I" not "u" in the first sentance

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can still get uncut Kawasaki key blanks from a lot of places, or even cheaper you can go to most places that cut keys and they have one that will fit (just won’t say Kawasaki on it)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts