Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you guys know if upgrading jets on these bikes make a improvement at all? Or does it just change the power band? Also what exhaust are the best bang for the buck? I know these bikes dont have alot of room for extra power but im deciding if its worth it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My opinion, keep it stock and just have fun. I mean you're not racing it and the options for something this old are a little limited .

I was looking at a new exhaust, and I could get a full hindle exhaust (2 into 1 header and new muffler) for not a whole lot of $.... but what would I get out of it??

Also much easier to diagnose and repair if it's stock!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My opinion, keep it stock and just have fun. I mean you're not racing it and the options for something this old are a little limited .

I was looking at a new exhaust, and I could get a full hindle exhaust (2 into 1 header and new muffler) for not a whole lot of $.... but what would I get out of it??

Also much easier to diagnose and repair if it's stock!
Good point

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is a closer picture of the bubbles on the tank. Like what others said i think its rust.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've gone from 99.9% to 100% certainty it's rust. What's weird is that it seems to loosely follow a line, as though that was the gas level in the tank...could be coincidence. Likely there is rust inside too.

The only way to know is to attack with an angle grinder and a heavy duty cup brush and get rid of all rusty metal. You may well find you make holes in the process. Repairs could be costly/tricky. Your best bet may be Ebay for a replacement tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've gone from 99.9% to 100% certainty it's rust. What's weird is that it seems to loosely follow a line, as though that was the gas level in the tank...could be coincidence. Likely there is rust inside too.

The only way to know is to attack with an angle grinder and a heavy duty cup brush and get rid of all rusty metal. You may well find you make holes in the process. Repairs could be costly/tricky. Your best bet may be Ebay for a replacement tank.
Yea but to paint a tank the same color as the rest of the fairngs is tricky. And finding one not dent on ebay with perfect paint is either really expensive or impossible to find

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The only problem with the theory that it has to do with the gas is that their is no rust on the other side at all. The side that has those rust bubbles was the side 6 in away from a wooden wall so it could be that when their was rain the moisture was traped and over 3 years created rust, either was ill have to check it out first.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
It does have the same rust bubbles on the other side though. Just lower and towards the front of the tank.

I posted my comments about the rust after seeing the first pics you posted.

The second ones you posted, of the opposite side shows a much more defined line of demarcation which leads me to agree with @radiant.desigtner that it is possibly related to condensation forming above the fuel level.

If the bike were leaning to one side, like on its side stand the level on the downhill side would be higher on that side of the tank.

There are rust bubbles up high and in a line roughly parallel to the ground and lower but less defined on the opposite side.

That seems almost definitive that rust has formed inside the tank in relation to the level of fuel.

Any condensation formed during temperature changes, even on a bike semi-sheltered out doors, is going to roll down hill.

As such it will collect mostly at the fuel line and then sink to the bottom. Water has a higher specific gravity than fuel. It will always sink to the lowest point in the tank.

What I’m trying to say is, the rust evidence that is visible is like a proverbial iceberg. It’s the rust you cannot discern that will be the worst.

Given that what is evident is pretty severe, the stuff that isn’t will likely mean replacing the tank, as @Davenay67 pointed out.

While you’re “stuck” in Europe you might have a look around over there and see if you can locate a GPZ tank with the same color and go from there.

You’ll likely not find a match for the graphics on that side of the pond but the same red base color is a good start. Graphics can be done later for a lot less money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Keep searching ebay for a good tank. They do come up every now and then.
Over here in the UK the prices are very high for petrol tanks and they all seem to have massive dents, so good luck in your search.
A good paint shop should be able to match the paint. If you do all the preparartion yourself it would reduce the cost. Depends on how much it would cost to have the tank painted. You would also need to seal the inside of the tank, a product called POR15 is popular over here,

·
Registered
249 Posts
I second how great POR 15 is! I used it in my old VWs and Datsun. I’m up in New England in the USA and we are known for our rust due to salt use in the winter and lots of rain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Over here in the UK the prices are very high for petrol tanks and they all seem to have massive dents, so good luck in your search.
A good paint shop should be able to match the paint. If you do all the preparartion yourself it would reduce the cost. Depends on how much it would cost to have the tank painted. You would also need to seal the inside of the tank, a product called
A good paint shop should be able to match the paint. If you do all the preparartion yourself it would reduce the cost. Depends on how much it would cost to have the tank painted. You would also need to seal the inside of the tank, a product called POR15 is popular over
I second how great POR 15 is! I used it in my old VWs and Datsun. I’m up in New England in the USA and we are known for our rust due to salt use in the winter
I second how great POR 15 is! I used it in my old VWs and Datsun. I’m up in New England in the USA and we are known for our
I second how great POR 15 is! I used it in my old VWs and Datsun. I’m up in New England in the USA and we are known for our rust due to salt use in the winter and lots of rain.
[/QUOTE
I second how great POR 15 is! I used it in my old VWs and Datsun. I’m up in New England in the USA and we are known for our rust due to y
A good paint shop should be able to match the paint. If you do all the preparartion yourself it would reduce the cost. Depends on how much it would cost to have the tank painted. You would also need to seal the inside of the tank, a product called POR15 is popular over here,
[/QUOT
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I will defentily use that pruduct! My only problem with
Thanks for the help! I will def check out the gas tank liner. The problem i have with painting the tank is 1. It wont have the paint of kawasaki and the pruple line and the red wont match the fairings i dont think because the original red is a tiny bit faded.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was also quickly wondering what is the 0-60mph on these stock ninja 500's. Ive heard high 3's and low 4's. The main reason i ask this bc my friend has a africa twin ans according to google the 2016 africa twin/crf1000L does it in like 4.5. Yet it has 2 times the displacement and is 16 years ahead. I understand that cc is not a big factor on speed but i would think the acceleration would be a tiny bit faster. Could also be the weight? Just curious to see if id beat him on my ex500. Lol

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Just take his key and hit his kill switch, you'll win every time. 😆

·
Registered
249 Posts
No matter how fast the bike is, how good is the rider? I mean unless you're going in a straight line and you have the same reflexes, but even then knowing when to shift and doing it cleanly can make all the difference.

I've seen people on much smaller bikes go a lot faster because they know how to corner well and use the right lines .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No matter how fast the bike is, how good is the rider? I mean unless you're going in a straight line and you have the same reflexes, but even then knowing when to shift and doing it cleanly can make all the difference.

I've seen people on much smaller bikes go a lot faster because they know how to corner well and use the right lines .
Yea obviously but the bikes themselves which comes on top? For example if u ride the Africa twin and do a 0-60 launch and then do the same thing on a ex500 which would be faster? Not including driver error.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
There are other factors involved besides displacement and HP. Gearing, weight and more importantly, torque.

An EX500 is not a drag bike. It makes power higher on the tach and is more or less about getting around corners quicker. Call it sportbike lite.

The Africa Twin is more about sport touring with off-road pretenses. It will do pretty much everything well, but won’t excel at anything.

It isn’t a drag bike either so 0-60 times aren’t relevant in evaluating it either. Call that one adventure lite.

Which one wins in a drag? Couldn’t say. Not a match up anyone has considered until now I imagine.

Part of me thinks the Africa Twin but if the EX got a good launch at the right RPM with the right gearing it would be close. The EX might even eke out a win.

I just don’t think it’s a clear cut situation

21 - 40 of 56 Posts