Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just didn't learn, and I got back on. On my way home from work I was going a little faster than normal trying to beat the rain, plus I was tired. Passed by a truck stop and got cut off, fine I have my braking under control and stopped on a dime. Continued on hit a rock almost went donw but I corrected just right, kept going. Was about 2 miles from home came up on a 95 degreeish turn( almost like a superspeed way turn with banking and everything) Im going about 55 mph I feel the bike give the left left and I can feel it going down the the front wheel catches and wam Im eating pavemet. I slide for about 30 feet( this time sans the bike on top of me) I even catch about 2 feet of air between slides which cause me to change direction. Not sure what caused it but the fact that im typing after what I viewed from my helmet is a miracle im typing.

I wont be riding again, I will repair the damages and sell the bike if it runs, it cut off after the crash but it was still gushing coolant so I don't think it was too bad. I never really got my confidence back from the other accident and I shouldn't have been riding. I had been messing up my shifts by not kicking up hard enough and always felt different riding than I did before my other accident. I'd rather not be cleaning up wounds a 3rd time and I don't like my friends and family worrying anymore.

pictures below:

more pics to come

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

sorry bobthebiker thnaks for the faceshield :( wish I could've gotten more use from it but it saved my face which was good.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

about 6"x3" of road rash on my knee; pic taken before it swelled and bruised around the outside.

was wearing leather gloves that are shredded, and mesh riding jacket that burned through on several places( my shoulder burned through my top shirt down to my white tee) my jeans got fed and were a stupid thing to wear since my knee is now a swollen bloody mess. and my steel toe leather riding boots are toast, as is the backpack I was wearing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not worth it right now, I'd probably get back on, but the worry my parents go through is too terrible. My dad was almost in tears when he drove up, which is a rare thing.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Dude, that's sucks but what gear you did have on did its thing...what make jacket was it?

I wish i had your sense, I've had 4 street and 3 track wrecks, 2 involving cars, 2 over 70mph, one where I was under the bike for the 70ft slide into the curve, 2 broken bones, 1 dislocated shoulder, at least a 4" road rash scar in every quadrant. And watched my best friend die after going off a hwy overpass on his Hurricane 600. All on the same bike and I still love it and love to ride it. ???
It must be a sickness or a certain personality type I guess.

I feel no one should ride a bike till they read and sign a document with these two facts in bold letters:

1. You are 10 times more likely to die on a bike then in a car.
2. Half of all bikers who die, die in their 1st year of riding.

Get better dude, you'll hurt more the next day usually sorry to say.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wolf66 said:
Dude, that's sucks but what gear you did have on did its thing...what make jacket was it?

I wish i had your sense, I've had 4 street and 3 track wrecks, 2 involving cars, 2 over 70mph, one where I was under the bike for the 70ft slide into the curve, 2 broken bones, 1 dislocated shoulder, at least a 4" road rash scar in every quadrant. And watched my best friend die after going off a hwy overpass on his Hurricane 600. All on the same bike and I still love it and love to ride it. ???
It must be a sickness or a certain personality type I guess.

I feel no one should ride a bike till they read and sign a document with these two facts in bold letters:

It was a Phoenix 4.0, Atomic 2.0 gloves.

I'm a strong willed person, most of the time stubborn but right now I felt a weird sense of something in that I made it out relatively okay nad I'd like to stay that way, I might return to riding in the future, better prepared too.

Im dreading the stiffness in the morning.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
JACKET CSI

(just bought the same jacket for the wife)

Do you feel the jacket did it's job or let you down?

Was all the armor in place and was it zipped all the way up?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well Im thicker in the torso than I am in my arms so I had to buy a 2X when I need maybe an XL size arm wise. which led to a bit of bagginess in the arms which I think migh have caust instead of inducing more of a slide. but im practically uninjured thanks to the jacket. didnt get to test the backpad due to wearing a backpack with my work clothes in it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Glad to see you made it out in one piece :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Sorry to hear. Go and heal. At least you never mentioned that word that I really hate, "debridement". I crashed a couple times when I was younger. I had to mature some and realize that I liked riding more than I liked riding fast. Thanks for the sobering moment though, I'm was on may way out to try to use up more than the tops of my tires(commuting really ruins, flattens, tires). I don't think I'll push quite so much.

PS Assen was a pretty good race!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my knee is pretty numb so i was able to clean it out really well.

Looking at the scene seems i hit the middle strip in the road which was bad idea for my speed, angle steering and quality of front tire. :(

thanks for the well wishes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That sucks,Jason.Glad you're ok.I respect your decision to quit ridding,but,hey,we'll miss ya around here.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Billbo said:
That sucks,Jason.Glad you're ok.I respect your decision to quit ridding,but,hey,we'll miss ya around here.
I hate that my riding career was only so short, and I really loved it but I think it's the safest thing for me at this point.

However, I will still visit the forum, to add my opinion wherever I can :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow dude, I'm really sorry this happened to you. I can almost hear the defeat in your voice. Best of luck to you man. Not riding until you're 100% confident again is definately the best plan.

But as I look at your helmet pic, all I can think is "wow, it's a good thing you were wearing a full face helmet." Can you imagine what would have happened if you were either
-In a state that didn't require helmets
or
-Wearing a brain bucket like the guys on Harley's?

Good luck in the recovery...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jason said:
wolf66 said:

And... wow. Those stat's are nuts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
kkrause said:
And... wow. Those stat's are nuts.
Yeah, painful but true and everybody needs to face 'em and accept 'em before they decide if a life of riding is for them. I have a few dead friends :'( who shoulda gone the other way, but hey, everybody dies eventually no matter what.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm 54 years old. Had a construction accident five years ago;hip-replacement and pelvis pinned together.Wife(the batch)left two years later because I could'nt work.Finally got through re-hab and back on my feet.Last Jan. had a heart attack.Sleazy chics and fast bikes for me from now on.f*ck it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts