Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently put a full Muzzy exhaust system on my bike and I have a Dyno Jet Kit coming asap. Is a jet kit easy to install? Has anyone done this kind of mod recently? Tips?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yes, it's been done.

Do not put a jet kit, search for Muzzy, you should find all your answers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you meant by search Muzzy. When i bought the Muzzy Exhaust from Muzzy.com, they told me that i needed the jet kit so i bought one. I have the exhaust on right now and it idles like a Harley. I think the carb definitely needs some sort of tuning whether it is a jet kit or not.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I meant : use the search box at the top right, type 'muzzy' in there you will see that there are plenty of topic covering this and they have many many many different questions asked in there already that will most probably make all your questions find answers, even the questions that you haven't thought about asking yet.

Hope it clarifies ::)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knightslugger,

I'd like to go ahead and try and adjust the pilots before even going ahead with the Jet Kit. A couple questions for ya... Since i am new at all of this, where would those pilots be located on the carb? How many are there? Does this require me to open up the carbs?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
there is one pilot jet per carb. the adjustment screws are located externally, underneath protective caps that you must drill out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember the Jet Kit containing a wood screw to take off some protective cap or what not... Is that what you meant by drilling out? Also, are these adjustment screws to adjust the amount of air that reaches the carb? I think that i am going to attempt this when i get outta work today because the company that i bought the jet kit from (RideGear) screwed up my order and my three day delivery has been extended until who the hell knows. I think that i just might cancel my order with them especially if these tuning tips work out well.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Nowhere in this thread has he said "How it runs" He maybe jumping to conclusions.

FOG

Z

·
0 Posts
Cancel the jet kit order, save some money and simply turn out the pilots. Do a search and you will find loads and loads of info. on this exact subject. Other posts will even have photos and step by step instructions on where the screws are located and how to do this.

Fog wrote - Nowhere in this thread has he said "How it runs" He maybe jumping to conclusions.[/color]

I agree but if it's similar to my wife's 2001 EX500, it's probably not running too well. The previous owner of hers installed the Muzzy and never adjusted the pilots. Ran like crap - wayyy too lean - popping, dead spots throttling through the range, etc.... The plugs were pure, pure white.

The pilots at approx. 2.5 turns out and with one washer under the needle worked wonders for ours.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Nither of those pictures is any good as they don't show the plugs or the pilot screws. Somewhere on theis list there is a good picture of the plugs being removed.

I guess they don't show the pilot screws because it's a No No the alter them

FOG

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Bingo

FOG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet Deal!!!! I know exactly what to do now! Let me know if i can repay the favor. I am a Graphic Designer if that helps... I will post pics of my Mods on my 06 ex500 once i get it running correctly and clean it up for the photo shoot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts