Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put my forks back on after removing them to have the seals replaced. Before I do it I was going to ask if anyone has any advice on things to watch for when reinstalling. I have the manuals and everything just though if any of you have some tips it might help. Thanks in advance.


GO BUCKS!![/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favor and use the search box (upper right) & type in "forks".
There are several topics ripe with excellent information and opinions.

One includes putting in a drain bolt for future maintenance (& adjustment?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for the tip but I have read through them and found lots of great stuff but nothing about actually installing them. Maybe I'm missing it wouldnt be the first time. :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Did you get a 500 manual from, say, Clymer's?
Available from Amazon for like $24 or e-Bay cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MrSciTrek said:
Did you get a 500 manual from, say, Clymer's?
Available from Amazon for like $24 or e-Bay cheaper.
Did you see my first post? "I have the manuals and everything just thought if any of you have some tips it might help"

Whats your deal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
ajw said:
MrSciTrek said:
Did you get a 500 manual from, say, Clymer's?
Available from Amazon for like $24 or e-Bay cheaper.
Did you see my first post? "I have the manuals and everything just thought if any of you have some tips it might help"

Whats your deal?
He's just trying to help bud, it's easy to miss a line sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I miss interpreted what he was saying. I thought he was trying to give me a hard time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,351 Posts
Two thing to watch out for, be sure to have the cables on the right side of the forks as you slip them up into place, and read and do the "Rocking the forks" bit.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOG said:
Two thing to watch out for, be sure to have the cables on the right side of the forks as you slip them up into place, and read and do the "Rocking the forks" bit.

FOG
Thanks FOG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
ajw said:
Sorry I miss interpreted what he was saying. I thought he was trying to give me a hard time.
I know the feeling.
Most of the time people are trying to be helpful but wording gets misunderstood. Also, I figure that we're all looking over several topics over several days, & I for one don't always go back & reread the start-up posting, so ask something that's been answered. Sorry about that.

Even with the manual(s) some repairs can be tricky for first-timers, at least that's true for me... but I'm also overcautious- not wanting to get in a rush, or a misunderstanding, and then screw something up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrSciTrek said:
ajw said:
Sorry I miss interpreted what he was saying. I thought he was trying to give me a hard time.
I know the feeling.
Most of the time people are trying to be helpful but wording gets misunderstood. Also, I figure that we're all looking over several topics over several days, & I for one don't always go back & reread the start-up posting, so ask something that's been answered. Sorry about that.

Even with the manual(s) some repairs can be tricky for first-timers, at least that's true for me... but I'm also overcautious- not wanting to get in a rush, or a misunderstanding, and then screw something up.
I'm the same way as you. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before reinstalling them. I have restored quite a few bikes now with my dad but we usually do bikes from the 60's and 70's so working on a new bike is quite different. Some stuff is a lot easier though on the new bikes. Dont have to worry about all of the rust and missing pieces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
FOG - What do you mean by "Rocking the Forks" a search for either that phrase or "Rock Forks" only yields hits on this thread.

Thanks,
Darren
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,165 Posts
??? This it? I don't think he actually made an article on rocking the forks, but rather included a bunch of info in his "string Thing" article.

here's the excerpt:

FOG said:
Rocking the Forks

While the bike is still rigged for the horizontal work, do this.
Before we go into the vertical plane it’s important to be sure your front forks are parallel to each other. Forks are often not. This can be easily corrected.
Obtain a flat piece of metal or glass about 3” wide and long enough to span the forks.
Rock this piece across the bare part of the fork tubes just below the bottom triple clamp.
By rock I mean the plate should touch both tubes evenly from top to bottom. If it rocks like a chair with a short leg, that means your tubes are twisted.

To fix this loosen all the pinch bolts on the triple clamps the top center triple clamp nut and the front axel.

Now with you a knee holding the front wheel twist the bars till the plate doesn’t rock.

Then gradually tighten all the bolts while constantly checking the “rocker” till all is tight and the plate doesn’t rock.

Re check the center alignment of the front tire.
edit: seems he did! i sent it to the top.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top