Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im getting around to installing a fuel filter on my Ex500. I currently put in a kawasaki lawnmower fuel filter between the carbs, little bit of a tight fit but i got it in. Here is a link to what i put in

http://www.hyperparts.com/wc.dll?ctwp~getitemclass~1001~1003~1~part~054-071

anywho well i just took it out for a test run and it appears its not letting enough gas through. I have 3/4 of my gas tank full, i checked to make sure i had the flow direction correct on the filter. Any words of advice here? too big of a filter? wrong type? any advice would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
sounds like the filter is too fine... any filtration will reduce fuel flow, the finer the filter---the more it restricts the flow. try to find an in-line motorcycle fuel filter... i had one on my lil old harley... there was a filter that connected to the fuel line between the cas tank and the carbs.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Hunter4570 said:
never had any problems with it? Do you have yours between the carbs?

yup. no problems so far... got about 1000 miles on it. fits right down in between the carbs.

the bike came with a smaller one that is kind of triangular shaped... i was going to replace it with the same, but i got to the store, and they wanted like 30 bucks for the triangle shaped one... no thanks. this one was like 10 i think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where the heck is the fuel filter supposed to be? I haven't been able to find mine on my 02. The whole bike is in pieces right now and I don't want to overlook the fuel filter when putting it all back together after the 12k service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the bikes really didn't come with one. You have to install one yourself. Maybe place it an inch or so just pass the petcock.Its gotta be small though.See through would be good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There isn't one (well, there's a screen in the tank) on the stock bike... There's pretty much only one place to put your aftermarket one - in the fuel line from the petcock to the carb. It's <10" of tube - cut it where it makes sense and put the filter in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts