Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. my bike needs some work, i have yet to get a service manual..stupid me..

anyhow, just a few questions here.

Im installing a new Sprocket set and chain. aside from aligning the rear wheel (thanks FOG for your post!), are there any special steps or tools im going to need? for instance, do i need a "gear" puller to remove the sprocket, or is it gonna pop off? i'll repack the bearings while im there, are they similar to that of a car bearing, or...?

New clutch cable as well. is there a factory spec for proper tension/adjustment (1 - 5 on the knob), or is it a comfort thing?

thanks in advance guys, much appreciated, will return what i can, when i can!!!

R

·
0 Posts
As long as your bike still has the centre stand (or you have a stand for it), there was really no special tools I needed to remove the sprockets. I assume you have a chain breaker too to take off hte old chain? I had to use an angle grinder to take mine off since the little detail of a chain breaker was forgotten - lol...

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
On this subject: I would really recommend buying a finished chain or endless one and removing the swing arm to replace it. It's only one more bolt and it a good idea to clean and re grease the swing are bearings too. The wheel bearings are double shielded single row radial bearing that don't get re greased. It won't hurt them but you'll damage the shields in the process.

Given the average level of mechanical expertize of the members here. I would say properly fitting a new master link as one of the most difficult tasks.

FOG

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royson..i'll look into the chain breaker, someone mentioned it to me in passing, but i completely forgot about it, thanks! i also have a large collection of air tools that can be used for destruction, so we'll see if i even need one.

Fog,

here's what i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200115735509&rd=1,1

doubt you can tell if its endless or not, but considering its coming from ebay, its likely to be a low-end model, but we'll see.

i'll just leave the bearings alone then, thanks for the tip! I fully intenend to grease up all pivot points, and will likely take off the rear swingarm, because its only 1 more bolt!

thanks!

any word on clutch cable/lever tension? at this point, i just plan on setting it so that it pulls quickly, but still has some play..
again, many thanks and i'll let you know how it turns out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts