Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 kawasaki ninja EX500 im looking to install a smaller instrument cluster so I can have room to put the headlights I want on. Is there any direct swap options available? Or does anyone have a diagram or know which colors wires go to what functions for the factory headlights so I can Match it up to aftermarket headlights?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
no. yes. pass. !!

confused yea right. being a noob (nothing wrong with that) you seem to want someone to give easy answers to complex questions without any background information (or minimal) totally normal. but most answers are in the questions. or at least should be.
for instance. a one line question will most likely have a variety of different answers but without the parameters on which that question was based only a guess is the likely outcome as no one else has any idea what the questioner had in their head when asking the question. unless stated at the time of asking it. (go on you have no idea what I'm talking about right).

ok lets break this down. I have a 2005 kawasaki ninja EX500 im looking to install a smaller instrument cluster so I can have room to put the headlights I want on.
this is a loaded question. firstly WHY. head lights in the EX/ninja are not swappable with any other headlight not even between generations. so a non starter. unless you are NOT going to use the front fairing and make it naked or streetfighter. if this is right you should have said so in the question.

when building a naked/streetfighter. there is far more required than just a headlight. indicators and mirrors. for instance. then there is the smaller instrument cluster what do you mean by that, there are currently no (or likely to be) non standard instruments that just bolt on plug and play all require work to modify and nothing you modify on a bike will be a quick fix. you will have to go into complex wiring and bracket making to suit whatever you buy.
the choice of aftermarket gauges and clusters are endless all are different (avoid any of the cheap Chinese knock off types) all with different functions and wiring. some are cable operated (speedo) some electronic some with rev counter some without. trying to make guess without knowing what you may buy want or want it to do is TBH pointless until you have one. dont forget either if you intend to go naked. all than non waterproof stuff that used to be inside a fairing will require moving somewhere dry.

then. does anyone have a diagram or know which colors wires go to what functions for the factory headlights so I can Match it up to aftermarket headlights?

yes. you do
in the back of the manual you have a whole section on electrics with photos and every diagram for every bike in the EX range.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. yes. pass. !!

confused yea right. being a noob (nothing wrong with that) you seem to want someone to give easy answers to complex questions without any background information (or minimal) totally normal. but most answers are in the questions. or at least should be.
for instance. a one line question will most likely have a variety of different answers but without the parameters on which that question was based only a guess is the likely outcome as no one else has any idea what the questioner had in their head when asking the question. unless stated at the time of asking it. (go on you have no idea what I'm talking about right).

ok lets break this down. I have a 2005 kawasaki ninja EX500 im looking to install a smaller instrument cluster so I can have room to put the headlights I want on.
this is a loaded question. firstly WHY. head lights in the EX/ninja are not swappable with any other headlight not even between generations. so a non starter. unless you are NOT going to use the front fairing and make it naked or streetfighter. if this is right you should have said so in the question.

when building a naked/streetfighter. there is far more required than just a headlight. indicators and mirrors. for instance. then there is the smaller instrument cluster what do you mean by that, there are currently no (or likely to be) non standard instruments that just bolt on plug and play all require work to modify and nothing you modify on a bike will be a quick fix. you will have to go into complex wiring and bracket making to suit whatever you buy.
the choice of aftermarket gauges and clusters are endless all are different (avoid any of the cheap Chinese knock off types) all with different functions and wiring. some are cable operated (speedo) some electronic some with rev counter some without. trying to make guess without knowing what you may buy want or want it to do is TBH pointless until you have one. dont forget either if you intend to go naked. all than non waterproof stuff that used to be inside a fairing will require moving somewhere dry.

then. does anyone have a diagram or know which colors wires go to what functions for the factory headlights so I can Match it up to aftermarket headlights?

yes. you do
in the back of the manual you have a whole section on electrics with photos and every diagram for every bike in the EX range.
Yep a street fighter look exactly

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ok. good luck with that. plenty of streetfighter builds on the forum pages.
as an anecdote 30 years ago a friend of mine decided to build a trike. how hard can it be. right !!. motor cycle front, car rear end. work started at pace but slowed to a snails pace as more and more issues arose. after 10 years it was still in bits at the back of the garage. 5 years after that when he moved house it went into a dumpster. he just did not have the technical abilities. creativity. or skill level to carry out complex mathematical models or the engineering tools to make unique parts. good ideas are only good if you can carry them out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks buddy ! cleaning carbs today but the float bowl screws were a little jagged so i ordered some new ones that wont strip so easy .👍🏻

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks buddy ! cleaning carbs today but the float bowl screws were a little jagged so i ordered some new ones that wont strip so easy .👍🏻
Did you order OEM replacements?

First thing I do after stripping carbs is throw the original JIS float bowl screws into recycle. Ultimately replaced with stainless allen head replacements.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
My advice is get the bike running before hacking into the wiring for any modifications. That way once the bike is running if something goes wrong with the modification, you will know where to look for the fix. Concentrate on one thing at a time.

I'll be putting my carb suggestion in the other thread.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you order OEM replacements?

First thing I do after stripping carbs is throw the original JIS float bowl screws into recycle. Ultimately replaced with stainless allen head replacements.
yep and i ordered the stainless allen head replacements new jets and carb

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My advice is get the bike running before hacking into the wiring for any modifications. That way once the bike is running if something goes wrong with the modification, you will know where to look for the fix. Concentrate on one thing at a time.

I'll be putting my carb suggestion in the other thread.
I was starting to think the same thanks for the advice. Yes ill get her running first 🙏🏼

1 - 9 of 9 Posts