Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bit of a dumb question.. i understand insurance.. sell p&c, never touched anything with bikes though so not sure the differences between auto and bike...so im on the phone with progressive asking some questions and was told no matter how the bike touches the ground, its collision. that sounds a bit off to me. comprehensive is anything other than collision, so flying objects and acts of nature should be comp.. right?

main reason i bring it up.. i have an older bike (liability only) which has hit the ground a few times.. the first time a large swing with a canopy was picked up by the wind and thrown into it, my initial thoughts are that something like that is a comp claim.. i'm debating wether or not to put full cov on my new bike and was hoping someone might have some clarification.

·
Registered
722 Posts
liability only pays for someone elses vehicle in an accident, you don't have to claim anything on it unless you hti someone else. doesn't do any good since if you crash alone they won't pay for your bike, if you hit someone else you won't make much damage to the other vehicle but you and your bike will be damaged with no coverage, only useful for getting by the state laws.

Collision is coverage for your bike, very useful since your bike will take most of the damage in any accident. careful though fairings are very expensive and most companies will total out the bike just for the plastic.

comprehensive is theft & acts of God. Useful since weather is unpredicatble and so are criminals.

I have full coverage w/ comprehensive, $47 a month, with progressive. I am 20 y.o. single male with no tickets or claimed accidents, and claimed my 1999 as commuting purposes. I have very good medical benefits so I didnt go for the medical coverage. I chose the lowest liability limits because I won't cause much damage to the other vehicle, and if I do they can't sue me for very much since the only thing in my name is my bike. also didnt go for the uninsured motorist coverage, no particular reason. I did opt for the $100 deductibles. because I don't make much money so I'd like to only need $100 to get things fixed.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah.. like i said i get insurance, i have 47 licenses to sell it.. just dont get whats comp verse collision on bikes. person at progressive said any time the bike touches the ground its collision but i dont know.. dont think it makes much sense.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see if im on the bike and it goes down.. i get that. but if the bike is properly parked and a tree falls on it and the bike hits the ground.. how can one call that collision?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Insurance Dictionary

Home > Library > Business > Insurance Dictionary Collision
Physical contact of an automobile with another inanimate object resulting in damage to the insured car. Insurance coverage is available to provide protection against this occurrence. See also Personal Automobile Policy (PAP).

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no.. that only applys if the vehicle hits the object, not the object hitting the vehicle. a "flying object" or "falling object" is a comp claim

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
let me use a different example rather than debate definitions..
someone delibertely knocks the bike over. i consider that vandalism, hence being a comp claim..

do you agree?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Methinks the Progressive person does not have 47 licenses, or an understanding of motorcycles. They were probably regurgitating incorrect information that their trainer spouted off in passing. That, or maybe Progressive has some weird policy that you don't find out about until your bike is damaged.

Acts of God have always been considered comp with agents I've talked to. Vandalism has been the same. I could be out of the loop considering I only carry liability + medical any more, but I don't see how it could've changed much.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Try to call them back, you'll probably get a different answer..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A note from something that happened to me w/ insurance (not motorcycle related but relates to the topic). I had Comprehensive on my 1993 MR2 (it was and is my baby, it get spoiled, cleaned constanty, was monthly....) but no collision. This is because the bluebook value of my car is way under valued, in other words if I get in a wreck and they total my car, they will offer me $2K for a car that would cost $6K to replace. The cost of collision skyrocked my policy from a mere $400 a year to almost $2k (the cost they would pay me if they totaled my car). It made no sense to have collision. However, I did keep comprehensive in case my car was vandalized, or someone broke in to steal my stereo....

So one December morning I was heading to cosco about 3 miles from home. I was doing about 30 in a 35 zone as my engine and tires are cold and I was in no hurry. A dog broke through a gate in a fenced yard and struck my car on the drivers door directly below the mirror. Note I did not hit the dog, it hit me. The dog was a year old lab who got his bell rung, so he got up and ran off. I tracked down the owners to the dog and proceeded to help them look for their "titus" for an hour. After which I discussed with the dog's owner about my vehicles damage. He said he would cover the damages and to get an estimate. A week later when I disclosed to his answering machine the $2,800 cost to get a new door, and paint it he never returned my calls. I drove by his house the next day to find it vacant with no forwardng address and his phone number was shortly turned off.

So I contacted my insurance 21st century and I was told all animal strike is comprehinsive. Great I want to make a claim. They made an appointment and inspected my car. 2 months pass, I hear nothing. I call asking about my claim, they disclose they don't know and I need to talk to the claims agent. Several messages to their voicemail later and I get a call to my homephone (not the number I had left for them to return my call) stating they were not going to honor my claim.

So Eventually I finally got someone to actually discuss my case over the phone with me who flat out called me a liar, told me I hit a vehicle and reported it as a dog. They insisted if it was a dog strike I should sue the dog owners.

I have filed a complaint with the state's insurance commission who never responeded. I ended up fixing my car out of my own pocket. I will never ever ever ever recommend anyone go to 21st century since they will not honor their policies. I also will not put comprehensive or collision on anything for under $10K. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, so they don't care if you win or lose as long as their bottom line is met. If your bike is not financed and not a rare expensive bike I would not recommend getting anything over state minimum. I have seen bikes totaled for falling over and doing a few hundred dollars in cosmetic damage. It does not make financial sense to pay a large premium to cover a low dollar motorcycle if the coverage is not going to save you any money when it kicks in. I look at insurnace the way I look at premium gas, a waste of money. In other words if you pay $1,000 a year on insurance for a bike that is only worth $1,500, and the insurance company will only give you $800 if the bike is totaled. Where is the smarts in having said policy? Save the $1,000 a year, get minimum coverage and repair the bike if it should get dropped out of pocket, it may not be an expense you expected or were ready to pay, but it is far cheaper then buying insurance yearly for more $.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
working in the industry i understand their skeptism, but thats just horrible service. and eeeek!!! i have 21st, really hope i never have a claim.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Jrocket said:
If your bike is not financed and not a rare expensive bike I would not recommend getting anything over state minimum. I have seen bikes totaled for falling over and doing a few hundred dollars in cosmetic damage. It does not make financial sense to pay a large premium to cover a low dollar motorcycle if the coverage is not going to save you any money when it kicks in. I look at insurnace the way I look at premium gas, a waste of money. In other words if you pay $1,000 a year on insurance for a bike that is only worth $1,500, and the insurance company will only give you $800 if the bike is totaled. Where is the smarts in having said policy? Save the $1,000 a year, get minimum coverage and repair the bike if it should get dropped out of pocket, it may not be an expense you expected or were ready to pay, but it is far cheaper then buying insurance yearly for more $.
That's called being self insured. Any time you can afford to just set aside money (or come up with it quickly) and cover your losses on your own there is no need for external insurance. That's why my bikes only carry liability (but more than state minimums to cover my arse in a lawsuit) + medical. I can let the bike sit in the garage in disrepair and be fine until I fix it, but with the wife's car I have to have enough to pay the note and be able to go replace it without much trouble.

The insurers I've dealt with have always told me up front that I can't have comp unless I have collision too. I guess that helps take out the gray areas. Perhaps it has to do with Indiana law - I couldn't tell you why they're common in that respect. You just flat got screwed, though, and I'd recommend staying away from them. I've always found it most helpful to deal with agents with a local office. It's nice to have the option to go talk face to face rather easily. Everything I have is with State Farm at this point.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"That's why my bikes only carry liability (but more than state minimums to cover my arse in a lawsuit) + medical.."

if you have aupt ins with higher limits, technically speaking, you dont need anything higher. a good lawyer will win that in a heartbeat.

"The insurers I've dealt with have always told me up front that I can't have comp unless I have collision too. I guess that helps take out the gray areas. Perhaps it has to do with Indiana law"

nothing in indiana law states that. you can have comp without collision, you cant have collision without comp.
if someone tells you otherwise theyre taking you for a ride... prime example would be suspending liability.. (just keeping comp, fire or theft.) you dont want to carry collision.. you cant drive it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts