Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i guess its about time to bring up this topic..
a few people have said that Canadians get raped as far as our Insurance rates go..
So lets see what we all pay..

Include
Your age (if your not shy)
Years riding.
Price you pay (per month or year)
and anything else you can think of thats useful

I'm 28
in Ottawa Ontario Canada
With State Farm
Just started Riding.
I pay 630 a year.
I have a modified Cavalier as my daily insured under them as well..

Ait, Have at It

·
Registered
78 Posts
Richland Center Wisconsin
my insurance policy is provided by Dairyland Insurance which the local insurance guy provides but is separate from the insurance company he regularly is an agent for. I think thats because they don't have motorcycle policies or something. its a bit confusing.
I actually signed my policy before I even had my license. so as far as insurance is concerned, probably none.
I pay $174 for a year of coverage. that is for liability and $5000 of medical coverage before my health insurance would have to cover it and $25000 worth of medical pay for a passenger.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Single, recovering credit, LOTS-A-CITATIONS (speeding)
Co: DairyLand Insurance (seperate policy, as auto company doesn't offer covereage for moto's)
Years riding: <1 (26JUN06)
Price paid: $500 full coverage, includes vehicle replacement (cost of new bike rather than blue book).

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Marshfield, Wisconsin
Liberty Mutual
about a year
1100/yr for liability on a car and full coverage on the bike w/ $500 ded.
2006 CBR600RR
1 speeding ticket still on file

S

·
0 Posts
I'm 44, married male with 1 speeding ticket this year (previous speeding ticket was in '88!). Own one bike currently, a 2004 500R. Liability-only coverage through Drive/Progressive Insurance in Tennessee, $185/yr. I have car coverage with the same company but they write new policies for bikes since bike coverage has to be paid the year in full, the cars are written for 6 months. So there, you can't just "add" a bike to existing car policies if you have Progressive.

Marital status really influences rates, since you asked about factors concerning rates. Years riding doesn't make a big diff, though.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Dawg said:
Include
Years riding.
Company: State Farm
Years riding: 11 years on and off, Licensed for about 4.
Price: ~$90 per bike per year.
Anything else of use:
Marital Status: Married
Other items on same policy: Home, car, soon to also be life ins.
Coverage: Liability, $1000 medical coverage for operator (anyone)

R

·
0 Posts
Ontario
Age 22
Company - Royal Alliance
Years Riding - 1 year, car - 7 years.
Marital status - single
Coverage- basic.
Rate was based on one speeding ticket which just left my record.
$2,000

I managed to get one more speeding ticket and a fail to obey sign ticket this year. :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
22/M
Nor.California
Signle

4 Points 2 more pending. That's two speeding violations with another for over 100 (second one is pending) I've lost the license twice before :-\ (There were muscles cars before motos.) I've spent a small fourtune on fines/legal advise/bail. I just renewed yesterday night WITH SR21 Certification for $279.00 for the year. Oh yeah after completed the MSF course I did get a $4.00 discount ;D

Liability only through progressive

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow.. so canadians DO get raped.
Age 20
London, Ontario
Company - Kingsway
Not Married
Coverage BASIC BASIC BASIC the kind where they can strip my body off the bike with a spatula
2400$/year
I have a hit on my record which is bringing it up 15%
Royson - we gotta figure out a way to get US insurance on our bikes. 

The interesting thing is that the 1 year coverage in the US is an ACTUAL 1 year coverage.  1 year insurance policies in canada are based on a 6 month riding year because of winter... so we are REALLY getting screwed. 

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I pity you poor kids, especially the Canadians. Arkansas USA, liability only, $75. a year. No tickets. (when they stop me they usually let me go when they see the full leather and a licence and insurance. I get "gee Dad you ought to know better")

FOG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone know why that is?  There's no way that Canadian insurance can cost that much more than the US. 

Even in comparison with metropolitan areas of the US, the cost is fractional compared to what we pay.  Are most states insurances privatized or are some of them public?  I know that in British Columbia, where there is public insurance, their average price of insurance is HALF of what Ontario is..

http://www.consumer.ca/1525 <--- interesting articles talking about ridiculous insurance rates in Canada

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your age: 34
Company State Farm
Years riding: 15 years
Price you pay: $264 per year full coverage on my Ninja 500

I had my first off last March and did $4,500 damage to my Concours (expensive plastic). I hit a patch of diesel and went down faster then the blink of an eye. The claim was not a problem and everything went smooth. They did not charge my collision because it was unavoidable and did not involve another vehicle so my rates never went up.

For each 1000cc sport bike I pay $324 a year. My Concours is $312 per year and my KLR650 is $288 per year. All full coverage!!

It pays to shop around. I used to be on Foremost (a division of Farmers) and was paying about $400 per year on each sport bike and that was liability and theft coverage only. If I wanted full coverage it was doubled. As soon as I got a quote from State Farm I canceled and switched immediately. Cars usually only very by a few dollars between companies but motorcycles can very widely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I thought I would dig this one back up and just add to it.

Your age: 32
Company: ( best quote to date) Rider's plus
Years riding: 0 years
Price you pay:553$ a year

Now that being said I have to wait till after August 22nd since I still have 3 tickets on my record. September 22nd one comes off and they can insure me with only 2, and can usually insure a person within a month of a ticket coming off a driving record.

Other than that the best price I got was over 1600 a year.

So for those Canadians with 2 or less tickets, try Rider's plus for insurance. I already got the guy's name I was talking to and told him I will be calling back in August, hehe

·
Registered
216 Posts
44 years old
San Jose, CA
Geico
Riding for 18 months
$160 per year liability only ($300,000) + $25 per year umbrella coverage to $1million
no points currently

·
Registered
68 Posts
well i dont have insurance (cause i dont have a bike ::) ) but i did get a quote from geico for a 1996 ex500 and my yearly rate was $1,010. im 18, i live in West Bend, WI and i had one violation.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dawg said:
Include
Years riding.

Ait, Have at It

18015 pa
progressive
1 yr
i pay 97 a year for two bikes liability only 96 suzuki gs500e and 06 500r 15/30/5 medical 5k
i have one speeding ticket in a cage from 12/04

1 - 20 of 66 Posts