Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out,
http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.shtml

This confirms what I suspected. Last oil change I used Mobil-1. With the semi-synthetic oil I was using you could feel a difference in shift quality at about 2000 miles. With the Mobil-1 it hit 2500 miles with no noticeable changes. Next time I'll let it go 3000.

Rich

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hi Rich,

Seems that ex-500.com had an active topic on this last year.
Reader's should keep in mind that the article is from 1994.
I scanned the article you posted (not super-thoroughly) & I may've missed if it mentioned anything about motorcycle engines that use the same oil for the clutch & tranny... such as our 500s.

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,290.0.html

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No where in the EX500 owners manual does it say motorcycle specific oil. Auto oil is just fine - has worked for me for 30 years.

Also, I work for a tansmission manufacturer - off highway, military, marine, oil fields, etc... We use the same basic parts as motorcycles (except usually bigger) gears, bearings, clutch plates, hydraulic pumps etc... and have much, much more hp going through our products; from approx. 50 hp up to about 3000 hp.

What do we specify - straight SAE 30 weight, non-detergent motor oil. That's it.

We suggest an oil change at about 1000 hours or once a year, whichever comes first. There is wayyyy to much hype around this motor oil issue.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
I'm not sure what your proposing, if anything. The conditions of oil requirements in a transmission alone are vastly diffrent. from those of a transmission that lives with an engine that need a certain Viscosity to support it's bearings.
Your transmission are not in need of any particular viscosity as the bearings are all rolling elements and require nothing more than cooling lubricant.
So your example of transmissions as a guide to what your motorecycle might require is way off base.

FOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts