Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, and thank you for accepting me in here.
I just retired in the age of 66.
I bought a GPZ 500 this spring and have done around 1000 km on it this summer.
Being an almost 30 years old bike, it is doing fine, and seems to have been kept well. It has 47000 original km on it, ist a 1992, and I am the 5th owner by the MOT reg. First owner kept it for 19years !! You can tell it has been dropped a couple of times, but nothing major. Plan is to do what lacks of maintenance, and enjoy it every summer. It looks like it has been run mostly in sunshine. Being newly remotorcycled after 30 years, this bike is enough for me, and i think it runs fine, i enjoy every trip. Left muffler was rottet, i replaced that already, i like the stock design best.

Plans are: valve clearances, new air filter ( oil and filter has been done ) check of unitrack condition ( I can see on bolts its be apart recently, and it operates smooth, and no play of any kind is feelable, maybe I should just leave it ? Damper unit is clean, not leaking and looks fine ) change of colant, carb cleaning and balancing. It has the late style CCT already. The front brakes are vibrating a bit and needs attention, though it passed the mot with it, and it seems to fluctate a bit in rpms in the lower range, i will have to sort that out too. Since the foto wa
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle
s taken, i cleaned the rear wheel, swingarm and chainguard, and swapped the stock mirrors to a set from a Suzuki GSX1100 which are similar to the ones on a Kawasaki 650. Perfect fit, they have longer stems for a better view than elbows.

Very nice with this forum, and a great thank to everyone helping KAWASAKI newbees like me with advice.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
hi and welcome. just a note, what you have there is a rare gen 1 model B, almost the same as a gen 1 model A but not quite, when ordering parts for it especially brake parts make sure you order those for the model B as model A parts will not fit, nice bike by the way.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi all, and thank you for accepting me in here.
I just retired in the age of 66.
I bought a GPZ 500 this spring and have done around 1000 km on it this summer.
Being an almost 30 years old bike, it is doing fine, and seems to have been kept well. It has 47000 original km on it, ist a 1992, and I am the 5th owner by the MOT reg. First owner kept it for 19years !! You can tell it has been dropped a couple of times, but nothing major. Plan is to do what lacks of maintenance, and enjoy it every summer. It looks like it has been run mostly in sunshine. Being newly remotorcycled after 30 years, this bike is enough for me, and i think it runs fine, i enjoy every trip. Left muffler was rottet, i replaced that already, i like the stock design best.

Plans are: valve clearances, new air filter ( oil and filter has been done ) check of unitrack condition ( I can see on bolts its be apart recently, and it operates smooth, and no play of any kind is feelable, maybe I should just leave it ? Damper unit is clean, not leaking and looks fine ) change of colant, carb cleaning and balancing. It has the late style CCT already. The front brakes are vibrating a bit and needs attention, though it passed the mot with it, and it seems to fluctate a bit in rpms in the lower range, i will have to sort that out too. Since the foto wa View attachment 55173 s taken, i cleaned the rear wheel, swingarm and chainguard, and swapped the stock mirrors to a set from a Suzuki GSX1100 which are similar to the ones on a Kawasaki 650. Perfect fit, they have longer stems for a better view than elbows.

Very nice with this forum, and a great thank to everyone helping KAWASAKI newbees like me with advice.
Welcome to the forum and that is a sharp looking color combination you have there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum and that is a sharp looking color combination you have there
Thank you very much. I like the retro things, I also have a 1977 Yamaha XS750 2D that I am working on restoring to hopefully mint condition. A good retirement project.

A Madsen in USA ! Are you of Danish heritage ?

Best regards Ole

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
XS 750, nice I have a 81’ XS 650 (two actually) gave on two my oldest son as a father son kind of thing that I’m hoping we will get to sooner than later.
Send me a picture sometime and I’ll do the same 👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
XS 750, nice I have a 81’ XS 650 (two actually) gave on two my oldest son as a father son kind of thing that I’m hoping we will get to sooner than later.
Send me a picture sometime and I’ll do the same 👍
Thanks for your reply. Below is photos of pictures, unfortunately, that phone broke down without backup.
The XS750 mostly reffered to as the tripple was Yamaha's first attempt of a "superbike" My brotherinlaw had one i rode occasionally when i was young and had a Honda 400 Four supersport myselves and I was amazed of its low-end torque, and calm attitude. When i found this one at a costumer, where it sat for 8 years untouched, i jumped to a quick deal. It was far from what I usually want, though, lots of easy solutions. It is now in boxes, frame and wheels are done and painted, i have got hold of new fenders and lots of parts, mostly from USA. I just got a spare engine, that has a brand new 2.nd gear set, so it can go together this winther, hopefully. Looking forward to se your XS650's a very beautyfull bike, actually more beautifull than the XS750.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts