Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone wear an ipod while riding, considering doing the one ear thing. if its to dangerous then ill just dump the idea. i dont mind the wind much but i do miss the music that comes with a cage

·
Registered
192 Posts
i just stick it in my pocket and do both ears. its still does not drown out all of the wind, and you will still hear sirens... just make sure that it isnt so loud that it is a distraction

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I personnaly go with ear plugs

·
Registered
69 Posts
One word...iPhone!!!!! ;D

Well okay I don't have one yet, but once it comes out I could see using it as my MP3 player while on the bike. It would be nice to not have to carry multiple devices.

G

·
captb said:
does anyone wear an ipod while riding,
Yes I do. I use the in the ear buds, works just like ear plugs. And you don't need the volume real high. You can still hear trafic pretty well. It probably isn't dangerous, you can't depend on your hearing anyway when you are on the bike, you have to look. :eek:

Rich

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess ill go out and buy one, but ill stick to the one ear since im still a newb :p

and those iphones are crazy expensive, i think ill pass

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wear an iPod sometimes...for short rides it's too much of a pain to get the earbuds situated properly in my helmet. They fall out when I put the helmet on and at random other times.

I wear the iPod outside my jacket on the right side so it's easy to reach across and turn off if needed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not crazy about wearing an iPod while riding. I figure that because riding is dangerous enough might as well have all 5 senses at peak concentration no?!?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
superjuventino said:
I'm not crazy about wearing an iPod while riding. I figure that because riding is dangerous enough might as well have all 5 senses at peak concentration no?!?
It's either wind noise, or Jack Johnson... either or, you don't hear traffic unless you ain't got a helmet on...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I wear my Ipod on long rides mostly, and they are far and few between. My last long ride was NJ to florida, 1000 miles each way. I wore them in both ears, and had the volume up so I could hear it over the wind noise. At speed i really don't hear much except for wind anyway. i can still hear a siren or a horn though so it's not bad

·
Registered
244 Posts
One could argue music steals some of your attention. Others would argue it focuses it.

If I'm riding/driving hard I prefer music off. For long road trips I use the ipod with podcasts or audiobooks. For everything else I tend to have music on or nothing depending on my mood.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wear a cheap MP3 player when I ride, my jacket has a compartment for it and I run the ear buds through a grommet in the jacket made for them. A little trouble to get my helmet on with them but mostly pretty easy.

Knightslugger said:
superjuventino said:
It's either wind noise, or Jack Johnson... either or, you don't hear traffic unless you ain't got a helmet on...
I like jack johnson too but that musics a little to soft for me when I ride.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a quesiton here... if it's illegal to drive a car with two headphones/earbuds in...then what makes a bike any different? I mean, I ride with my ipod all the time, but always with only one ear. If it's seriously legal to wear both of them then rock on, I'm just curious what the difference is...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depends on the state, but for a lot of states they aren't legal. For example, in my state I can't even wear ear plugs, but I don't think most cops are going to care so much about those.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=md

However helmet _speaker_ is allowed...

This is one of those laws you're likely to break no matter how you approach it, especially if you cross state lines. It's really more a matter of if you'll get caught and/or ticketed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use these, which work so well they're basically earplugs when they're off. Since they block so much noise the music can be played low and I can still hear traffic when I need to, which comes from first hand experience. But since I found they're illegal I haven't done it for awhile. I just stick with plain ol' earplugs.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
chayos said:
I use these, which work so well they're basically earplugs when they're off. Since they block so much noise the music can be played low and I can still hear traffic when I need to, which comes from first hand experience. But since I found they're illegal I haven't done it for awhile. I just stick with plain ol' earplugs.
The SHure earphones were one of the top rated brands for listening quality across the audio spectrum (balanced lows to highs).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts