Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike afterfires when coasting or slowing down. Is this normal or a problem? It sounds like a backfire, but coming from the header/exhaust and not a big bang, but a mild pop pop pop. What causes it? Bike is 100% stock, including exhaust.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sort of normal for the EX. Make sure the seal is good between the header pipes and the engine and at the crossover section of the 2 header pipes (under the engine).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. It only happens when the bike has warmed up. Is it also normal to have it happen only on one exhaust and not the other?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mine started doing it this year.

I guess the 17 years old cans have something to do with it ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
You may want to sync carbs and adjust pilots - one cylinder may be running rich.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbs have been sync'ed. Where are the pilots located? Under the float bowls? I did notice one cylinder running quite rich.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Silly question, but what is the function of the pilot screws and how does it control fuel? Newb trying to learn the intricacies of a carb.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
If the exhaust is popping, it's because air is getting into the exhaust system somewhere. seal it up, and you wont have that problem.

·
Registered
496 Posts
fyi. you may read that removing the hoses from your valve covers will stop the popping. it did for me. but made the bike run like a dog (when cold, and at idle). don't do it.

^^^ Like he said, find the hole(s) in your exhaust, seal 'em up.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Jsvob03 said:
fyi. you may read that removing the hoses from your valve covers will stop the popping. it did for me. but made the bike run like a dog (when cold, and at idle). don't do it.

^^^ Like he said, find the hole(s) in your exhaust, seal 'em up.
The PAIR has no effect what-so-ever on engine performance. none. zero. zilch. nadda. zippo. I'm curious, if you put it back on did the issue go away?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I took the cans off, did a n00b inspection, and put everything back. Tightened her down really tight at the header pipe. Still some afterfiring. What else should I be looking for?

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you take the header pipes off check the connection of the crossover pipe and particularly the packing material which is used to seal this joint.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
100% stock means the fresh air system is still in place, doing it's job. That is injecting fresh air into the exhaust port to complete the burnning of the unused Hydrocarbons, (the popping) All perfectlly normal. It only happens when warm because that's the only time there is sufficent heat in the exhaust to ignite.

FOG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts