Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
You can retro fit a whole rear suspension from a gen 2 bike, if you can find one. But you miss the point of doing so. It's done for the 17" wheel not the disc brake. Nobody ever uses the rear brake except as a hill holder, while starting up.

FOG

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
derf said:
I dissagree, I use the rear brake to stop when I need that extra stopping power
You can disagree if you like but there is no extra stopping power there. the front can lift the rear off the ground rendering the rear usless. Your just not getting full use from the front.
Now if you said "I use the rear as a means to load the front for better cornering or braking power I'd say Good Job and reward a food pellet.

FOG

·
Registered
63 Posts
FOG said:
derf said:
I dissagree, I use the rear brake to stop when I need that extra stopping power

Now if you said "I use the rear as a means to load the front for better cornering or braking power I'd say Good Job and reward a food pellet.

FOG
Oh my, hahaha. I laughed my ass of at that. Good one FOG.

Brad

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Rear brakes are pretty much useless anymore.In olden times with skinny front tires and drum brakes,you needed them.Now the only use that I see is the pro racers "backing it in" to help turn the bike.Looks scarey to me.I agree with Fog,swapping for a 17" is worth doing.Course,then you need to do the front also.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Actually "Backing it in usesing the rear brake is easy. I used to do it as a kid on my coaster braked bicycle. All you do is brake as normal going in then as you tip the bike into the turn a little rear brake will loosen the rear and it will move over. weather it's faster or not is augmentative. I personally don't think so.

FOG

·
Registered
348 Posts
FOG said:
You can disagree if you like but there is no extra stopping power there. the front can lift the rear off the ground rendering the rear usless. Your just not getting full use from the front.

FOG
lmao

I use the rear brake before entering turns so I can stay on the throttle, and because the rear brake counts as only 30% of total stopping power, it slows the motorcycle just enough and just in time.

·
Registered
633 Posts
No I use it in slow speed situations (less than 5 mph), and when cars decide to jump out in front of me I use both front and back, for every day riding I wont even touch the rear

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
FOG said:
You can retro fit a whole rear suspension from a gen 2 bike, if you can find one.
FOG
Don't forget the brake pedal, brake fluid reservoir and piston plus the brake lines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess when they put the disc on the newer models was it cheaper for Kawasaki?
or were they thinking better breaking? Hmmmm

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
think it was more like :
- Hey dude, why are we selling so few of these now ? Were in 1993, it's only 5 years old..
- Maybe because all the journalists are banging on the fact that a drum brake on a spanking new bike isn't cool and they are missing the fact that this is a great way to initiate new riders to this sport..
- You're probably right Bro, let's try to keep this assembly line going, every tool have been paid for the past 3 years, we got to make more money outta this thing..
- Yeah, you think we could get 17inchers too, that ought to please the crowd.
- Great idea ! Let's keep that same engine, frame and get revamped plastics, new suspension and new brakes and call it a new bike 8)
- We're friggin geniuses Dude.. Let's sell a 'totally new' bike for maybe 100$ each more and sell the thing a couple hundreds more than that

Ok, maybe not exactly like that, but close ;)

I

·
0 Posts
Frog said:
think it was more like :
- Hey dude, why are we selling so few of these now ? Were in 1993, it's only 5 years old..
- Maybe because all the journalists are banging on the fact that a drum brake on a spanking new bike isn't cool and they are missing the fact that this is a great way to initiate new riders to this sport..
- You're probably right Bro, let's try to keep this assembly line going, every tool have been paid for the past 3 years, we got to make more money outta this thing..
- Yeah, you think we could get 17inchers too, that ought to please the crowd.
- Great idea ! Let's keep that same engine, frame and get revamped plastics, new suspension and new brakes and call it a new bike 8)
- We're friggin geniuses Dude.. Let's sell a 'totally new' bike for maybe 100$ each more and sell the thing a couple hundreds more than that

Ok, maybe not exactly like that, but close ;)
MUHAHAHAHAA. too funny!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do use the rear brake when it's slick out, and when I'm going real slow, but I find that a good drum brake offers more feel than a disk.

Now double-leading-edge front drum brakes are something I was quite happy to give up for a disk... They would stop the bike just fine, but that first application when it was cold and wet out could leave you on your a$$ watching your bike slide away from you, eating yet another pair of turn signals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FOG said:
You can retro fit a whole rear suspension from a gen 2 bike, if you can find one. But you miss the point of doing so. It's done for the 17" wheel not the disc brake. Nobody ever uses the rear brake except as a hill holder, while starting up.

FOG
thats the dumbest **** ive ever heard on a bike forum

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
005xe said:
FOG said:

FOG
thats the dumbest sh!t ive ever heard on a bike forum
What? changing the rear drum?

FOG

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nobody ever uses the rear brake except as a hill holder, while starting up.
He's refering to this line specifically, and I agree with him, the rear brake is very usefull, low speed situations, when you really need to stop like when a car pulls out in front of you , thats 20% of your brake power that you have on tap, and why not use it it's there...

R

·
0 Posts
Guys, lets get back on topic. This isn't a rear-brake debate.

The original poster was asking if it's hard to swap out the rear brakes, which requires more than just the brake disc obviously.

Anybody done it got some advice, tips, how-to?

(oh, and I use almost only rear brake and engine braking under controlled braking. I ONLY use my fronts when I'm slowing down fast.)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah i use the rear brake in low speed situations only. i consider low speed to be like 10mph or less.

i used it when i took the on cycle test, and it worked great for the slalom and U turn... (both done at speeds of about 10 or so)

but other than that if you're going 40 and a car pulls out in front of you, the front brake is going to be doing all the work. no matter how hard you push the back brake, as you hit the front, the back is coming up. as it lifts more you get less and less braking power, until the point where the front brake lifts the rear wheel clear off of the ground. then it doesnt matter if you are braking the rear or not... if it aint on the ground, it aint gonna matter.

****, even if you are going 5 and a car pulls out in front of you, the front brake is doing nearly all of the work. then again, at a speed that slow, you probably wouldnt even need a brake lol, just put your feet down fred flintstone style :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts