Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my handlebars all the way to the left, there is nearly half a centimeter of clearance between the bar and the gas tank. This is obviously a problem as my hand, especially when wearing a glove, is a bit wider than half a centimeter. I bought the bike this way, so it's not a product of something I can refer back to. Also, when the handlebars are straightened, the front wheel isn't straight, but is slightly turned to the right. Someone must not have been meticulous when doing something with the forks (changing the wheel maybe?). Anyhow, I don't think that holds any bearing on how my handlebars nearly strike my tank on the left side. On the right side, there's plenty of clearance. I looked at the lower triple tree, and the steering stops appear to be fine. In my mind, the only other explanation is that the bike went down with the bars turned all the way left and the force pushed the frame slightly.

It makes sense for a moment, and then I consider the fact that there are no clearance issues on the right side. Me thinks there'd be an obviously larger area of clearance on the right if the frame was bent.

This is a real pain in the ass. My only thoughts on fixing this problem are along the lines of makeshift solutions. Such as, attaching something to the steering stop on the lower triple so that contact with the frame is made sooner. Maybe I could epoxy a piece of flat-stock? There's a ton of "temporary" things I could do. I am posting here in hopes someone will be able to give me advice that'll actually fix the problem. Or lead me to conclude that the frame is in fact bent.

Here are some pictures. I apologize for the blurriness, the lighting was poor, and the flash would just bleach the surfaces beyond recognition.

Above view, bars turned all the way left (you can kinda tell it's a little close to tank from this view):

Left side (hella tight in there!):

Right side (no clearance issues):

·
Registered
216 Posts
It could be distortion in the photos but it sure looks like your left handlebar insert may be bent. You should check the riser as well.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Yup , bent left bar. the bar should follow the line suggested by the top cylindrcial portion of the stanchion. The Bike was obviouslly dropped and you should check ou the forkalignment. "See Rocking the forks" in the FYI section.

FOG

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FOG said:
Yup , bent left bar. the bar should follow the line suggested by the top cylindrcial portion of the stanchion. The Bike was obviouslly dropped and you should check ou the forkalignment. "See Rocking the forks" in the FYI section.

FOG
phew, look at that jargon! :D
"Cylindrical portion of the stanchion"

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm gonna take another look and see if maybe this could be remedied by replacing the handlebar!!!

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
FOG said:

FOG
phew, look at that jargon! :D
"Cylindrical portion of the stanchion"

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm gonna take another look and see if maybe this could be remedied by replacing the handlebar!!!

That's called English.

FOG

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FOG said:
cylindrcial...obviouslly...check ou...forkalignment.
English, eh? ;)

Nah, I appreciate the advice FOG. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
FOG and dwengi seems to be right on : left handlebar seems to be bent inwards result of a drop probably...

Look closer between your clutch lever assembly and the riser, it looks like the tube is making kinda a bubble effect..

I had mine bent like that, the riser was bent too by the impact.. The cheapest fix I found was to change the whole handlebars, I'll try to get picts over the weekend :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are friggen geniuses. I guess I just don't have the eyes for spotting these sorts of things. I dismantled the left handlebar and, sure enough, it's bent all to ****.

Pics for your viewing pleasure. ;D

My dad had an idea worth mentioning. He noticed that the handle bar insert is symmetrical, so I rotated it 180 degrees and re-installed it... thus the bar was bent the other direction and there was plenty of clearance for my hand. However, because of the bend, my left arm isn't as comfortable as my right...and the little doodads that mount onto the bar weren't coming together correctly due to the gradual bend throughout. So I ordered one on eBay for $36 + S&H.

Thanks a lot everyone!

·
Registered
216 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
You guys are friggen geniuses. I guess I just don't have the eyes for spotting these sorts of things. I dismantled the left handlebar and, sure enough, it's bent all to hell.

Pics for your viewing pleasure. ;D

My dad had an idea worth mentioning. He noticed that the handle bar insert is symmetrical, so I rotated it 180 degrees and re-installed it... thus the bar was bent the other direction and there was plenty of clearance for my hand. However, because of the bend, my left arm isn't as comfortable as my right...and the little doodads that mount onto the bar weren't coming together correctly due to the gradual bend throughout. So I ordered one on eBay for $36 + S&H.

The left bar has a hole which engages a dowel pin in your left switch assembly. When you rotate the bar the hole is on the wrong side so this is why the doodad won't mount. There is also one on the right handlebar to locate the throttle/switch assembly.

Thanks a lot everyone!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was actually wondering if those holes were for mounting purposes. Guess so! Welp, the bar should be in next week.

Thanks dwengi!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
try to look at your risers too, they're probably bent too :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mine does the same thing pinches on the left wide open on the right. My right side riser is bent up pretty bad but the left seems ok.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Smoky said:
Mine does the same thing pinches on the left wide open on the right.
As did mine. My left bar was bent backward, and my right riser was bent up and forward. :p Replaced the offending parts and everything lines up perfect now. I'm guessing this happens from the sidestand sinking into soft ground, your wheel should be turned to the left in that case, so boom, it falls over to the left and bends the bar into the tank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Both of my bars are bent in toward my tank, and I've never had any clearance issues. Sure they pretty well touch, but you never turn that sharp at speed, and if you're going slow it's not such a big deal to rearange your hand a bit for a couple seconds. I am also a poor student and cannot afford anything new for my bike.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
That Bar can be straightened, I've done many, as long as there is no sign of cracking or stress. I chuck the stubby end in my Lathe and heat the bent area with a torch and they bend very easy by hand. you could do it in the bike too, after the bar is stripped put it back in the stanchion and then heat the bent area and ditto
These bars are made from very soft aluminium and are deliberately designed to bend rather than snap off leaving you stranded.
A side note: Alumuni um can be softened by heating to about 450 deg and quenching with water. Conversely it work hardens. The bent area is harder that the remainder for this reason so the torch is essential. BTW bent levers can be fixed the same way.

FOG

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmmm. My handlebars are steel and the risers are aluminum.

·
Registered
261 Posts
dwengi said:
Hmmm. My handlebars are steel and the risers are aluminum.
A change from 1st to 2nd gen? My 91 bars are steel too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
then you either let it cool on its own or in oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah i had the same problem on my bike when I first got it. But the bend was worse and it was nearly identical on both sides.

I was talking to a guy in a shop about an entirely different issue, and in the middle of the conversation he mentioned "hey you know you're handlebars are bent right?". . .. .me:"uhhhh? what?"

This has since been fixed a while ago.

Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts