Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the ninja 500/250 really the best overall sport starter bike. it still is my dream bike but 2 months of waiting and im getting stressed out. so far i have only seen 2 that have interested me(i want relatively new), but is there a good starter bike made by honda or something that i have overlooked. suggestions? wait a few more months or start looking to move on?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is a nice looking bike but i definitley want to stay in the 500 to 600cc range. oh did i mention i live in hawaii

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
In Honda, the only 600cc bike I recommend, is the F4i. they're not perfect starter bikes, but when you get accustomed to riding one, its a fun machine overall. I'd love to own one myself.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
the F4i is still a touchy throttle machine, and the steering is similar to the RR in terms of response. that and if you drop it, you're going to cry, and then spend a small fortune repairing it, and then cry some more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That CBR125R in White looks HOT!! Saw one on the road the other day.
I heard that Honda is upping the price by $1k for next year. So buy today and sell tomorrow at no loss. :)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
yeah, i think if you made bikes look as hot as a supersport, more kiddies would start on them. let's be honest here, the EX500 isn't in the top 20 of hottest looking bikes contest here...

JMO...

·
Registered
146 Posts
If the 250s are more plentiful, I'd go with that before I'd think about anything bigger than the 500 for a first bike.

No matter what you buy, do an MSF course, first thing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
took the msf, been riding for 2 months on my dads 600cc honda shadow and ready for a bike i can call my own. i think i can handle the 500cc's and i know i wont get tired of it down the road. i dont usually speed....usually. just a little frustrated cuz ive been eyeing the ninja since i got my licsense but still no luck. not sure if im ready for the 600(600cc on a cruiser is not the same) though never ridden anything in such an aggressive position as well as as much acceleration. can any bike match th ex's performance as well as riding position?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Knightslugger said:
yeah, i think if you made bikes look as hot as a supersport, more kiddies would start on them. let's be honest here, the EX500 isn't in the top 20 of hottest looking bikes contest here...

JMO...
Hey, mine's not that ugly LOL

·
Registered
145 Posts
although i havent ridden a 250, im very glad i got the 500 over the 250
im pretty sure i would have been dissapointed with the performance quickly

not to say you cant get the 250 to move as fast as cruisers... but 0-60 in 3 seconds is fun

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd stick with it personally but if you really want to move on you could take a look at the Suzuki GS500. It's air cooled so lower on power than the ex but it should still make a decent starter bike. They are ugly though sooo. I'm not even sure if I've ever seen a used one for sale. I'm not to sure they sell when the ex is such a better bike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My friend has a gs500, I've ridden it a few times and it's a great starter bike. Only the gs500f is ugly, the gs500e (naked version) looks pretty decent, plus it costs less if you drop it, a good consideration for a first bike. Like the ex500, it has more than enough power for the street and for highway commuting, so as long as you don't want to race or hit 150mph, it'll be enough bike for you. I've seen a handfull of them on austin craigslist--probably about as many as I've seen ex500s.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just checked the craigslist in my neighborhood and no gs500 up for sale. there are a couple of gsx600r. any comments on those, seems to be at reasonable prices. or is that to much of a performance bike for a beginner. they look nice though. are they reliable and bulletproof like the ex's. thanks

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Have you tried putting a wanted to buy ad on Craigslist? I've had pretty good luck doing so in the past, often people have something gathering dust not thinking about selling it until they see someone looking for it...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill try posting up a wtb. seen 2 others having a wtb add for the ex on craigslist. i was considering the ninja 650r since i seen a couple on craigslist, but i dont like the seating position. the appeal of the ex500 to me is the posture, look, agility, and above average power. i'm beginning to get tempted to buy a 500 on ebay and just ship it here, but i dont trust that. maybe ill have some luck with the wtb.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Keep in mind that the Ninja 650 has tubular bars that make changing your riding position a cinch. Don't like the current bars? Just get a different set.

Personally, I'm planning to get a 650 in a few years. I've never sat on a bike that fit me better though.

All the reviews say it is a great bike for everyday use, not as sporting as an SV650, but a better daily rider.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
anyone know of any forum/websites on the 650 that i can check. i would like to find out a little more, as there are a few on the island that i might be interested in. am i understanding this right the foot pegs of the 500 and 650 are the same, and all i need to do is change the bars on the 650 or is changing the bars just gonna give me a more upright position w/ the pegs extended back.
:'(
in my head im picturing my back doin something like this <--front x\_ back-->

1 - 20 of 26 Posts