Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got my hands on this cool EX500 which I have named Lazarus. He’s been sitting for 4 years, he doesn’t turn over, the key won’t even rotate all the way in the ignition, he’s rusted to sh**, and I would love some help raising him from the dead.
Where do we begin? @haybaler and I have an easy project on our hands right? Just a quick carb sync and he’ll run. Easy peasy😂😂

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
Take it apart
remove the mouse nest from the air box
remove the inspection plug from the dyno cover and try to turn the engine with a wrench clockwise only
check the oil if over full suspect coolant in gas
charge battery
remove tank and check for rotten gas or rust
supply fresh fuel from a separate source to the carb
fit re charges battery and try to start it.
act accordingly after start test.

lots more depending on what you intended use for the creature is
Finally real men don't name their motorcycles.

FOG

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
First, unbind him and let him go. Basically, what the old man said. I note that popular YouTube 'raiser of the dead' Mustie1 first checks to see if the engine will make a full revolution and is not seized or mechanically locked up. After that, it is a check for spark and then on to fuel, which always has something wrong. Note that the engine turns clockwise from the left side and that the starter clutch may make all manner of strange noises while you are manually rotating the engine.

I wonder how many EX500s would have crashed if they were not fitted with fairings.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
First, unbind him and let him go. Basically, what the old man said. I note that popular YouTube 'raiser of the dead' Mustie1 first checks to see if the engine will make a full revolution and is not seized or mechanically locked up. After that, it is a check for spark and then on to fuel, which always has something wrong. Note that the engine turns clockwise from the left side and that the starter clutch may make all manner of strange noises while you are manually rotating the engine.

I wonder how many EX500s would have crashed if they were not fitted with fairings.
Yeah those fairings are pavement magnets. That bike looks like it's been dead for some time. Surely by now it stinketh.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the sight of Lazarus puts a frown on your face, you could always anoint the feet and other part of the body with water and aromatic oils. If Lazarus is a reincarnation of man women beast of the field or extraterrestrial I wouldn't know or hazard to guess where would be the best place to approach the resurrection. Be as as patient as possible while learning new resurrection skills (if they are new to you). If the father deems one worthy of 4 folds there may even be a miracle somewhere out on the horizon.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Nothing fun about working on a dirt clod. Cover the obvious openings and give it a good spritz of purple power or similar, let it sit a few then blast it. Garden hose will be good. It can sit on its side to get the bottom.

Reactions: AfroNinja56

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the sight of Lazarus puts a frown on your face, you could always anoint the feet and other part of the body with water and aromatic oils. If Lazarus is a reincarnation of man women beast of the field or extraterrestrial I wouldn't know or hazard to guess where would be the best place to approach the resurrection. Be as as patient as possible while learning new resurrection skills (if they are new to you). If the father deems one worthy of 4 folds there may even be a miracle somewhere out on they horizon.
This is the energy I was looking for! Haha thank you mate 🙏🏿. Thou that has been named Lazarus is intended to be a treasure that teacheth me the ways. I’ve got nothing but time 😁.

·
Registered
481 Posts
"Surely by now it stinketh."
Yes, I left the gas cap open for an hour, and now there are no more skunks in our neighborhood, they packed up and left town!

After OP drains the tank and carbs, can you recommend tank
treatment to get rid of smell? carb cleaner? baking soda?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Surely by now it stinketh."
Yes, I left the gas cap open for an hour, and now there are no more skunks in our neighborhood, they packed up and left town!

After OP drains the tank and carbs, can you recommend tank
treatment to get rid of smell? carb cleaner? baking soda?
Take it apart
remove the mouse nest from the air box
remove the inspection plug from the dyno cover and try to turn the engine with a wrench clockwise only
check the oil if over full suspect coolant in gas
charge battery
remove tank and check for rotten gas or rust
supply fresh fuel from a separate source to the carb
fit re charges battery and try to start it.
act accordingly after start test.

lots more depending on what you intended use for the creature is
Finally real men don't name their motorcycles.

FOG
no mice @fog but it looks like the wasps packed up and left town. I’m guessing they left California for Texas as well.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can’t post videos in the thread… but Lazarus lives! Still a lot of work to do to restore him to his full glory. I’m looking for a reliable fuel petcock kit and chain. Everything on Amazon looks like trash or is completely different from the OEM and I’m not willing to chance it on a pice of crap that kinda gets the job done. I’ve tried two petcocks for less than $15 and I just couldn’t get it to fit right!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can’t post videos in the thread… but Lazarus lives! Still a lot of work to do to restore him to his full glory. I’m looking for a reliable fuel petcock kit and chain. Everything on Amazon looks like trash or is completely different from the OEM and I’m not willing to chance it on a pice of crap that kinda gets the job done. I’ve tried two petcocks for less than $15 and I just couldn’t get it to fit right!
I can get it started after fiddling with the idle screw but when riding, I have to keep reving into the 1000s and 1500s to keep the engine going. I thought it may be the return and throttle cable slack leading into the carbs, resulting in incorrect air intake but after messing with those still no luck. So i’m thinking it’s got to be the fuel petcock just not letting the correct volume of fuel in so it’s just a starving combustion system

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,393 Posts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I can get it started after fiddling with the idle screw but when riding, I have to keep reving into the 1000s and 1500s to keep the engine going. I thought it may be the return and throttle cable slack leading into the carbs, resulting in incorrect air intake but after messing with those still no luck. So i’m thinking it’s got to be the fuel petcock just not letting the correct volume of fuel in so it’s just a starving combustion system
Yoiu're talking about the idle speed adjustmewnt? The black knob underneath between the carbs? If so, set it so that the bike idles at 1100-1200. That's the correct idle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.