Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just brought a 97 500R home from a junk yard with no key. I was able to get the ignition by dissasembling the column and the bike started right up but there was basicly no fuel in the tank. How do i go around that? Is there a trick with removing a fuel lid? Please don't bother me with "stolen bike" comments, it's getting old.
Thanks
Vlad.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You can drill it out then turn the lock with a screw driver. Or take the whole tank to a locksmith and he can make you a key. Or you already have the Ignition lock off , take that. the same key fits both.

FOG

·
Registered
348 Posts
Or just unscrew the fuel cap piece from the tank with an allen wrench.

·
Registered
381 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
Or just unscrew the fuel cap piece from the tank with an allen wrench.
That won't work. There is a + screw inside that you can't get to unless you have it open.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Spray some freon in there and tap it with a chisel, but thats probably a bit more detrimental to the cap. You can buy automotive lock pics online. They're not that hard to use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screwing out the hex bolts will not work, there is 1 inner screw.
Does anyone know how much a locksmith will charge for such service??
THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES!!!
VLad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know when I had a similar situation with a car bought at auction that it cost me $280 to get a locksmith to come out and make me a set of keys. May be cheaper as you already have the ignition apart and can take it to them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll pull the top tripple tree with the lock out tomorrow and see what prices i get. What really sucks is that i parted two 500R's and both had keys but i sold them with the lock sets....

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You can remove the ignition switch from the tree. The bolts are the type that the heads snap off when they were tightened, to prevent easy theft. But they were not especially tight for the same reason. A center punch applied off center in the un screw direction (lefty loosey) will loosen the very easy. Then hand tight from there. Replace with new headed bolts.

FOG

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you bring one of your lock cylinders to a locksmith (helmet lock or seat lock will work) he can make a key to fit the lock cylinder. I think it cost about $40 last time I did it for 2 keys.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I would imagine that assuming the lock cylinders are all original, you could just use the VIN number, go to the dealer and get a key made based on that. no reason that wouldnt work.

·
Registered
633 Posts
or you could find someone here who is parting out their bike, buy the complete lock set (gas cap, ignition, and seat), drill out the gas tanks key cylinder and replace all the locks, proably get it for next to nothing for the whole set.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Careful drilling that gas cap.Sparks plus fumes=boom.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out i have a friend who is a locksmith, got my self a set of keys made today for a case of beer.
Thanks for the help guys!
Vlad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quite some time, bike has a JUNK title so it means it can't be retitled. It was a state police impound.
Now, i part bikes for profit sometimes and i have a spare 2001 500R frame laying around that has a salvage title.
So, i'll transfter the entire bike on that frame and will take it to DMV to get it road legal. Since i have paperwork for the bike with a junk title i should have no problem registering it on a 2001 frame and getting it through inspection.
Here's a pic of the bike in question

1 - 19 of 19 Posts