Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately while on my rides I get some traffic behind cuz I ride the speed limit, but these ppl ride too close. I don't look back to see how close they are, but looking in my mirriors they look like they hitched a ride on me or something and "Objects in Mirrors are closer than they appear". I even had a school bus on me (I prayed so hard not to fall that trip cuz I wouldve been mush before the bus could stop) and they are supposed to be following the rules over and above that of regular motorists. ??? Is this common occurence or are ppl in my area just a-holes?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd say it's pretty common. Drivers in general are just a-holes. ;)

Are you going the speed limit according to your speedo, or are you correcting for the variance? If in reality you're going 5 under, that tends to piss people off. ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'd say it's fairly normal . Most folks don't drive the speed limit . And are usually in a hury to get somewhere . Especially during rush time traffic like when school buses are out .

·
Registered
216 Posts
damarble said:
I'd say it's pretty common. Drivers in general are just a-holes. ;)

Are you going the speed limit according to your speedo, or are you correcting for the variance? If in reality you're going 5 under, that tends to piss people off. ;)
Got that right. I checked mine against GPS and it reads almost exactly 10% over actual speed.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I figure if I'm passing most people I'm just about fast enough :p. I don't understand what it is with people, but they feel comfortable getting "all up in my business" and tailgating me like we're drafting. Depending on my mood (and other traffic) I either slow down so they know I'm wanting a little buffer, or I blast off like I just realized I need to be somewhere.

It's "hilarious" when I'm riding my KZ because if I'm on the throttle no one will get within about a quarter mile of the back of my bike - on the freeway or even in the city at times. Depending on the situation there I either love it or loathe it.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
My CBR is ~6% off speed (to read fast and be slow) so when i first got it, i always had people crawling up my tailpipe. i flash the brake at them quickly to get them to back off, or i'll motion with my left hand for them to pass me (and when they pull out i slow down even further so that they get by quickly as long as they were the only one back there). but now that i know i'm going slow i speed up, but some people like to follow me going quickly rather than pass me. they stick to me like glue. that's when i slow way down and force them to pass me. i also look over my left shoulder so that they know i'm worried about their distance to me. do it ofen enough and they will sometimes back off.

otherwise i know i have 300% more thrust than they do, so i drop a few gear, rocket away for a few moments, slow back down to road speed and continue. if they pursuit me, i just find a parking lot or side road to turn into and wait for traffic to subside. i hardly ever have to go that far to get someone off my ass though.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
otherwise i know i have 300% more thrust than they do, so i drop a few gear, rocket away for a few moments, slow back down to road speed and continue.
yeah that always sends a pretty clear signal. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I get it all the time.. It always seems when someone is following me, they are right up my tailpipes, and I'm not usually going slow. When this happens make sure you allow for extra room in front of you as well, so that if you do have to slow down, you can do it gradually to allow the idiot behind more time.

Personally, I think it has to do with the fact the bike just doesn't make the impression a car does; and it just doesn't register they are tailgating, or even enter their minds that a bike can stop twice as fast as their car or heaven forbid SUV/Truck (BUS??!)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
It's also important to note that you should NOT move to the right of your lane to allow them "room" to complete their passing manuver. stay in the left portion of your lane.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It seems to be pretty common around where I live. As long as I am on the secondary roads, the highway is a different story. Might have something to do with the sounds coming from the Sarachu's at 7000 rpm haha
But I tend to just slow down most of the time as long as i am not in a bunch of traffic cuz then there isn't usually anywhere for the crazy cagers to go and they might start to think about just well running your a$$ over.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'll be installing my Muzzy exhaust shortly. I never ride the speed limit anyways, but due to some recent outstanding traffic violations ;D I think I'll try extra hard to avoid getting busted.
Once the Muzzy is on, and if people start tailing me... I'll just drop a gear and ride in high revs... hopefully if the noise doesn't get to them, the carbon monoxide will. ::)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kkrause said:
OR... sack up and go faster
thank you for wishing death on me.

Anyway, the speed limit is 45, which I was following since Im just getting some miles before I make longer trips.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Seems to me that some/most personalities get in cars & figure that since they're way bigger than a bike they can be like the hallway bully.

BUT...

I suspect that most of those same folks have a deep fear of anyone crazy enough ("bada$$") to ride a bike in traffic isn't to be messed with. So they'll back off as soon as they think you notice them & "might follow me home." Ya think?

BUT...

A few folks get more aggressive when they think they're on your nerves... 'cuz they have the bully-boy size advantage (they are always males, to my experience anyway).

Comments... ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very common. They do it just to be a$$holes. Common sense and manners apparently do not apply, once someone enters their vehicle.

D

·
0 Posts
D1g1TaL Gh0sT said:
Very common. They do it just to be a$$holes. Common sense and manners apparently do not apply, once someone enters their vehicle.
I have an exception to this; riding a bicycle. When I ride around town I suddenly become first-class and all the drivers seem to go out of their way to avoid hitting me and give me the right of way. Maybe it's just my town though.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
D1g1TaL Gh0sT said:
Common sense and manners apparently do not apply, once someone enters their vehicle.
- Or their computer chair for some internet time.

MrSciTrek said:
Seems to me that some/most personalities get in cars & figure that since they're way bigger than a bike they can be like the hallway bully.

BUT...

I suspect that most of those same folks have a deep fear of anyone crazy enough ("bada$$") to ride a bike in traffic isn't to be messed with. So they'll back off as soon as they think you notice them & "might follow me home." Ya think?

BUT...

A few folks get more aggressive when they think they're on your nerves... 'cuz they have the bully-boy size advantage (they are always males, to my experience anyway).

Comments... ?
I always had thoughts like this in the back of my mind, and it is always the young dudes that want to prove something. I notice it more so when I'm on the cruiser - most people keep their distance to an extent. What always bothered me more was the public's attitude that thinks, "Oh, a crazy sport-biker, they're going to get someone killed." It's like a bad-ass cruiser rider is going to find out where you live and bring his friends, but the guy on the sportbike is going to pop a wheelie and run people off the road right now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cagers like to do it because they feel safer. A motorcycle ahead of a cage makes it easy for the cage to see ahead of you. So they never feel worried....flash the brake lights or get the heck out of there.

You know what I hate even more...tailers with those god forsaken neon halogen blue lights!!! I thought it was just civics but now bmw have them too!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts