Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

It's CRAZY... um, isn't it? Touring Stirrups?

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  hwrogers 
#1 ·
I want some foot peg-like things for touring (getting some age... arthritis).
I'm hesitant to clamp, weld or bolt anything onto the frame.

I was being a bit of a smarty on another thread/topic & posted the idea of stirrups as a joke.

But now... I wonder. Brainstorms anyone?

See less See more
#3 ·
damarble said:
Problem I see, if you foot gets hung up while trying to get it out for unexpected shifting/braking, that could end badly.
Good point... I'm thinking maybe one side is cut-out... making like an inverted "7" or ?

#4 ·
Those will be flying in the wind and hit just about anything around..

Why not clamping ? It's reversible and I don't see any trouble with mines ;)

Maybe I'm not using the right word ? They attach the same way as the usual 5$ headlight brackets.

If it's that you are wary about chipping the paint, you can always use some radiator hose, cut it to the proper length and wrap your frame with it, it will even damper the vibrations :)

G
#5 ·
MrSciTrek said:
I'm hesitant to clamp, weld or bolt anything onto the frame.
Just curious.. why not clamp some highway pegs to the frame? If you're afraid of marring the frame, wrap it with some old inner tube (or something like that) a couple of times around and then clamp on the pegs. I agree, I wouldn't want to weld or drill holes in the frame either.

#11 ·
You have to take the lower cowling off to get the ones I've fitted to the bike..

But I've got an idea.. What if we take the usual headlight bracket (same one as dragknee used for his Buell headlight) and instead of using them to hold a headlight, we use any peg, or even the passenger pegs mounted to the tip. Then we get the clamp part mounted directly to the frame of the bike.. And for vibration dampering, we get a radiator hose around the frame, and the clamp around that.. Do I make any sense ?

In the mean time, here's a closer look at the ones I've got :

#12 ·
You make sense, but every one of those headlight brackets I've ever played with would bend and break as soon as someone put a foot on it.

There are highway pegs for cruisers that have the clamp built in, to clamp to crash bars and whatnot. I think I have a pair or two sitting somewhere, so they must be easy to get. It just wouldn't give you quite the stretched out feeling Frog's rig does.

#13 ·
I have been trying to figure something diffrent to do with my feet also ,have been kind of thinking about the Woodcraft rearset kit ,but it so expensive ,dose anyone here have them on their bike? If so got a pict and what you think of them. I really like the idea of them being back a bit more so I wouldn't feel cramped up when I lean forward some.

#15 ·
Wish I had some real stirrups around to rig up some (stealth) joke pics. ;D

Maybe when school's out I'll look into some front-peg possibilities using Frog's model to start.
Get to go visit my son in San Diego the first week of June... might get to pin his staff sergeant stripes on during a promotion ceremony. He's a USMC fire control instructor.

When I get back it's house painting time. Then go visit fam in SW Washington state.
School starts up the second week of August.
3 more years & I'm elligible to retire.

#19 ·
Problem is... I'm a modifier. When my kids & wife see that I've bought something new they always ask what I've changed, or what I'm thinking about changing. Everything can be tweaked to become more what I want.

If I bought a second bike I'd just be messing with it to suit my needs.

Since I'm fine w/ the most aspects of the bike the way it is, for my purposes, then a few tweaks here or there are all that's needed.

The $$ I save will be redirected towards peanut M&Ms anyway. 8)

#20 ·
Frog,

I like the highway pegs. Where did you get the set that you have. I would like to get some. I want to be able to stretch while on longer rides. I am either going to get a different bike or just modify the one that I have. I would love to try and modify for longer rides first then I will move on. Thanks

#21 ·
It's a set designed to fit generic bikes.. There were no manufacturer name nor model number on the thing and the dealer asked me if I could leave with it since it's been collecting dust for a couple of years at the back of his shop.

Check my other thread for more pictures of those bars : http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,670.msg17979.html#msg17979

#22 ·
now that i think of it, it wouldn't really be that hard to just get a piece of galvanized pipe and some clamps to make your own pair of highway bars like this, just make sure they are narrow enough to not interfere with your normal riding, perhaps a piece of pvc for test fit and ride to ensure proper length, if too long the pvc would break off/grind away without causing damage to the bike... or it shouldn't...

#23 ·
hwrogers said:
now that i think of it, it wouldn't really be that hard to just get a piece of galvanized pipe and some clamps to make your own pair of highway bars like this, just make sure they are narrow enough to not interfere with your normal riding, perhaps a piece of pvc for test fit and ride to ensure proper length, if too long the pvc would break off/grind away without causing damage to the bike... or it shouldn't...
You could do a quick test run with PVC, but I wouldn't. When PVC breaks it can explode and splinter, and you don't want to catch any of that crap when it does.

I wonder if rigid electrical conduit would hold the weight of your legs. It'd be quite a bit lighter than a piece of carbon steel or galvanized.

#24 ·
Nick D said:
hwrogers said:
You could do a quick test run with PVC, but I wouldn't. When PVC breaks it can explode and splinter, and you don't want to catch any of that crap when it does.

I wonder if rigid electrical conduit would hold the weight of your legs. It'd be quite a bit lighter than a piece of carbon steel or galvanized.
I don't think he meant to test on the roads with his PVC suggestion, just try it on the centerstand ;)

I haven't figured out how to clip something that could also save the engine case in the event of a low-side..

Plus, having stuff that doesn't fold back could prove harmful if you ever come too close to a sidewalk.. or a big rock while leaning in a turn

#25 ·
Frog said:
I don't think he meant to test on the roads with his PVC suggestion, just try it on the centerstand ;)

I haven't figured out how to clip something that could also save the engine case in the event of a low-side..

Plus, having stuff that doesn't fold back could prove harmful if you ever come too close to a sidewalk.. or a big rock while leaning in a turn
I took it to mean putting the PVC on and taking a trip around the block, checking lean angles and such. Dragging it a bit wouldn't do anything but scuff it a bit, but leaning hard and flexing it too far could put one in a hurt. Surely it'd be that 1 in a million chance, but I just want anyone who's going to do any fab work to be aware of the possibilities.

#26 ·
Nick D said:
Frog said:

I took it to mean putting the PVC on and taking a trip around the block, checking lean angles and such. Dragging it a bit wouldn't do anything but scuff it a bit, but leaning hard and flexing it too far could put one in a hurt. Surely it'd be that 1 in a million chance, but I just want anyone who's going to do any fab work to be aware of the possibilities.
:) That's the way I understood it but maybe I didn't get my point across like I intended though. From now on, I will try to use a **Disclaimer** tag ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.