Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting this thread to track the rebuild progress on my bike post accident 10/8/2020. I'm at work now, but am contemplating pictures and the beginning of tear down on this fine Veteran's Day. I did already dispose of the front fender, so that won't be in the pictures.

To date, the current mod list as follows

~ MZS Shorty Levers, Black with Red selector switch
~ Venhill Stainless Brake Lines, Black & Electric Blue (rear)
~
FOG Mod
~ Carb Inlet Filter
~ GenMar Handlebar Risers, Black
~ Schoolie 2.5" Bar Ends, 19oz, Black
~ Mirrors: 06-09 EX650 EMGO Matte Black
~ Brake Lights switched to LED
~ Front Shock: Race Tech 200-2938095 Fork Spring .95Kg / 15wt Fork Oil / Drain & Filler plugs added
~
Rear Shock: 2011 Ninja 250r OEM Rear Shock

On Thursday I seemed to have done many wrong things. Took an unknown corner a little too fast, and out ran my ability as a rider. Ended up low siding on the left side of the bike, the bike ended up headbutting the guard rail and I slid down the road a ways. Speed was between 35-40mph. Bent the right handlebar, fractured the Right Outer Fork Pipe front fender attachment point, bent the foot brake lever, with no exterior engine damage, and of course mangled the front fender and fairing.

J1W3Y

Edit: Let it be know, the bike still ran when it arrived at the house after the accident. It is likely my fault if it doesn't later on.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Those plastics are a perfect candidate to go the the beauty salon for repair.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear plastic is definitely being repaired. The front fairing is split into at least 2 pieces, so the plan is to fix the spair I have which is only 1 spot of plastic welding and then maybe tackle the current one. But we shall see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rear plastic is definitely being repaired. The front fairing is split into at least 2 pieces, so the plan is to fix the spair I have which is only 1 spot of plastic welding and then maybe tackle the current one. But we shall see.
Not sure if you have access to one already, but I bought one of those PlastiWeld staple welding guns that looks like a soldering gun. Walmart sells the kit here. I've had some good success fixing these cracks/breaks with it and ending up with a stronger body piece as well. The price is very reasonable for what you get and how often you'll end up using it...especially if you do track days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts