Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
common problem is that. it's because their not phillips but JIS screws if you don't have the proper driver they round out replaced mine with allen bolts "just don't over tighten them" it strips the plastic thread out. it's while since I had to them off but I think there a 6mm thread.

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
How has it been 2 weeks already. I feel like I haven't accomplished anything in that timeframe. In the last 2 days I cleaned and painted my spare brake calipers. They will be placed on the bike and I may do the same to the other set.

I have also been working on the bearings for the steering stem. I had no trouble getting the top inner race removed, but the bottom was tough. It actually got slightly cockeyed and would no longer budge on any angle. I purchased some canned air and inverted it to help cool the race and cause it to shrink slightly. Doing this weakened the race and caused it to fracture with 2 strikes of my punch. No damage caused by the incident. The lower bearing came off the stem with little problem, and I promptly placed the smaller roller bearing on with the dust guard first. The fork tubes (old and already bent) work perfectly as a guide rod for evenly hitting the bearing into place. I went back to place the new inner races into the steering tube and the larger one goes on bottom.:poop: There is enough difference between the two bearings that I had to remove the NEW bearing from the stem (which of course destroyed it) and am now awaiting a new bearing kit in the mail.

For anyone redoing their bearings to roller bearings, the LARGER bearing goes in the BOTTOM. But more importantly, try the fit before you commit.

Also, a picture as the bike looks substantially different, and not necessarily because it is missing the front end!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
For anyone redoing their bearings to roller bearings, the LARGER bearing goes in the bottom. But more importantly, try the fit before you commit.
I once said exactly the same thing and was derided for saying so with "there both the same size" no there not.
thanks for confirming this. (y)(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I once said exactly the same thing and was derided for saying so with "there both the same size" no there not.
thanks for confirming this. (y)(y)(y)
Yeah, I was pretty timid at tackling this task. So I did a lot of reading on the forums and on pyrimid's website. Of course Pyrimid has a general overview of replacement that is not any bike specific, but most of the information I found on the forum said the larger one went on top. I was a fool and failed to confirm in my Hayne's manual or by trial fit, distracted by the euphoria that I dislodged the inner races without screwing anything up.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
yes you hear some say well I changed them and they dropped right in. my answer to that was lucky. if you don't check you have a 50% chance they will be the right way round. a quick check with a Vernier would confirm it.
when I change them I do the ice and heat method. shaft in freezer over night. inner race (not the whole bearing there grease in it) in the oven on 100'c for 1/2 hour before fitting. dust seal on shaft first then inner bearing most of the time the inner race pushes on by hand ( wearing suitable gloves of course)

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The brakes are on, just waiting for the bearings tomorrow. The bike will be on the road by Sunday night!

IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2738.JPG

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
looking forward to your positive ride report

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The goal was met. I took the bike out yesterday for a 30 mile ride. No hiccups, I left the lower fairing off for the night to see if any leaks develop. Everything looks great, and it’s great to be riding again.

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
meme59.jpg

Reactions: Elsevere

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So happy in fact I rode it to work this morning in the rain. It is so nice to be back on two wheels.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts