Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

JB weld on master link

13K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  fog 
#1 ·
I just bought a non-rivet chain and I read somewhere that you can put JB weld on the clip of the master link. Is this safe, and will it affect the opperation? I want my chain to stay on the bike. Thanks in advance

#5 ·
I put the clip on and don't worry about it. I've never had one come off and I've riden withouit one before. The plate that it holds on is pressed on any way. If I cant pull it off with a pair of pliers what makes me think it will just fall off. When I do my chain and sprockets I dont use any master links. I just conect the chain back to itself.

#6 ·
If you want the peace of mind, jb or rtv won't hurt if you keep it off the pins and rollers. No need to slather it on, just install the clip normally, get it all degreased, and then dab on a tiny bit at the seam around the edge of the clip, up against the plate. I've never had a problem with a clip link before but like kit said it's cheap insurance, and then you don't need to ride around worrying about it.

#8 ·
SWIFTY said:
I put the clip on and don't worry about it. I've never had one come off and I've riden withouit one before. The plate that it holds on is pressed on any way. If I cant pull it off with a pair of pliers what makes me think it will just fall off. When I do my chain and sprockets I dont use any master links. I just conect the chain back to itself.
Yup

#12 ·
SWIFTY said:
Maybe you haven't, and I haven't either. But I've seen enough chains come off, (chains that were installed by competent, experienced mechanics) that I won't use anything but a rivet link. The tools to do it aren't that expensive and you'll have them forever. No good reason to use a clip link.

#14 ·
Pogo said:
Why does it matter? The force going to be exactly the same on each end of the clip each time the chain pulls.
It's in case something (a rock, your heel, whatever) hits the clip. If the open end is in the direction of travel then that impact can knock the clip off. If the closed end is forward that's a lot less likely to happen.

#15 ·
Truthfully you don't need either. I've run clip type master links for as long as I've been riding and NEVER had one depart my bike. I've also had "experienced and competent factory certified mechanics" screw up the most basic tasks. I NEVER trust any mechanic whose first words are "I'm a factory certified tech" I don't care, what can you do? I've also had those same certified mechanics swear that it's heresey to install a clip type master link. Once again, I've never had a problem with one. I install all of my own since I don't trust anyone in a dealership to do the job correctly..... OH, and follow FOG's advice......sean

G
#16 ·
RichDesmond said:
Pogo said:
Why does it matter? The force going to be exactly the same on each end of the clip each time the chain pulls.
It's in case something (a rock, your heel, whatever) hits the clip. If the open end is in the direction of travel then that impact can knock the clip off. If the closed end is forward that's a lot less likely to happen.
I doubt that's the reason many people are putting it on that way, but I guess in that example it makes sense.

#18 ·
RichDesmond said:
Maybe you haven't, and I haven't either. But I've seen enough chains come off, (chains that were installed by competent, experienced mechanics) that I won't use anything but a rivet link. The tools to do it aren't that expensive and you'll have them forever. No good reason to use a clip link.
+1 to that.

if you must use a clip, at least safety wire it on there.

#20 ·
#21 ·
dragknee said:
RichDesmond said:
+1 to that.

if you must use a clip, at least safety wire it on there.
bah. superstitious horseshit.

#23 ·
I noticed a few weeks ago that I lost the master clip. My first replacement chain went 25K miles with a clip and no problem, the second replacement has been on for maybe 5K miles and fell off. I stuck a new clip on there and after a couple of weeks it fell off too! I work at a motorcycle dealership and one of the techs safety wired the clip so I am good to go for now.

I have a rivet master link that going on there next...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.