Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
NR750. Oval pistons. Top picture gives it away....but I knew anyway....honest. :)

Seen one for real myself....many years ago at a cool bike meet back in the UK.

·
Registered
374 Posts
A road going version of Honda's V-4 oval piston GP race bikes. What they really wanted to build was a V-8 motor but the rules at the time limited number of cylinders to 4 so Honda came up with this wild oval piston idea. 8 Valves per cylinder, 2 connecting rods per piston, multi-piece rings to seal the oval combustion chambers. Totally crazy. A testament to creative "interpretion" that meets the letter but goes far beyond the spirit of a rule set. The NR race bikes were never particularly successful but nobody ever doubted that Honda deserved an "A" for effort. Its fun to imagine what might have been going on in the technical inspectors minds when Honda presented the first one of these for inspection.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
More from MotoGP weekend 2005:

That's me on the lower right. Bikes lined up the entire length of Cannery Row. Back when it was still the highlight of Saturday evening after practice and qualifying.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Trip to the 1991 IOM TT.

Top Left...."Slippery sam"

Top Right....one of the most famous to ever ride a Honda V4

Bottom Left....probably the slowest bike at the TT that year....mine 😟

Bottom Right....Ago on an MV

IOMTT1991.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Top Left....A camping/riding long weekend with my best friend....on the way to Skye....this photo was taken in the Glencoe valley (infamous for the 1692 massacre)

Top Right....my first really nice bike (ironically, this photo was taken in the spot where I would eventually scatter my Dad's ashes (over the cliff and into the Derwentwater Lake) over 3 decades later

Bottom Left....not sure even Ducatiman could save this one....a bike from a dive on the SS Thistlegorm in the Red Sea

Bottom Right....located across from the Isle of Skye....can anyone name the movie this castle was featured in?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
MotoGP 2008, Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Parked on the banked turn 3 of the NASCAR "Tri-oval" Was a very cool experience riding out onto the track for the very first time. Indy is an immense race track. So large, there is a golf course in the infield. And I don't mean putt-putt.

As luck would have it, the rain bands of a hurricane hit during the race weekend so it pissed down the entire time we were there.

Probably the thing that caught my attention the most after the weekend was that the Indianapolis newspaper headline for the Monday that followed was "Only 1 death during MotoGP race weekend"

I thought that quite odd...deaths outside of the race track on a motorcycle race weekend are not a common thing. Daytona not included as there are plenty of drunks getting on bikes down by the beach.

My first thought was, "how many do they have on car race weekends?"

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Laguna Seca, WSBK weekend 2016. Suzuki RGV250 Kevin Swantz replica.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Top Left....A camping/riding long weekend with my best friend....on the way to Skye....this photo was taken in the Glencoe valley (infamous for the 1692 massacre)

Top Right....my first really nice bike (ironically, this photo was taken in the spot where I would eventually scatter my Dad's ashes (over the cliff and into the Derwentwater Lake) over 3 decades later

Bottom Left....not sure even Ducatiman could save this one....a bike from a dive on the SS Thistlegorm in the Red Sea

Bottom Right....located across from the Isle of Skye....can anyone name the movie this castle was featured in? View attachment 51295
That would be Duart Castle then,😉

Been in 2 films,

When Eight bells toll....Anthony Hopkins....early 70's

Entrapment...Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones...late 90's.

Yes,? No,?

If I've won I prefer Bitcoins to Internetz.....can't use Internetz at the supermaket here, :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
That would be Duart Castle then,😉
Actually, it isn't Duart Castle. I can see the resemblance. It's not the most iconic angle to take the picture, but the biggest clue is still in the right of the photo. Internetz still up for grabz.... :)

Photo is so grainy it looks like it came from the 1930's, but I took it circa 1995. I think I was using high-speed film because I was into grain and contrast at the time....kinda doesn't work without your own dark room. Sure wish digital cameras and editing software was around when I was mad for cameras and taking photos.

Mere minutes after the picture was taken the sky went as dark as night and a monster rain storm blew in. Awesome weather for either riding or camping, and we were doing both!

·
Registered
374 Posts
By the way, I've always been partial to those Triumph triples but I never owned a newer one like yours. The one I used to have was a 1969 Trident. (Metallic green with 3 into 2 exhaust, breadbox tank, flash gordon mufflers, and twin leading shoe front brake.) That silky 3 cylinder sound just appeals to me, I guess. Sadly, no pics of that bike have survived.

A couple of years ago (in an effort to recreate my youth, lol) I started looking for another Trident. It soon became apparent that every Trident available on the market was either a full on restoration with a price tag to match or a worn out piece of junk. I also looked at a few of the Yamaha triples but in the end I wound up with an '86 BMW K75c which is a nice bike but is a totally different riding experience compared to that old Trident. I never considered the newer Triumph triples because they were too new to qualify for a collector plate so as to keep the registration and insurance costs down to something affordable. But at least I've got that 3 cylinder sound.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
So, are we saying Eilean Donan,? what appear to be mountains behind it threw me, which is why I said Duart.

If it's Eilean then I suppose the most famous film shot there would be Highlander.

Did you make it to Applecross while you were there,?

·
Registered
283 Posts
So, are we saying Eilean Donan,? what appear to be mountains behind it threw me, which is why I said Duart.

If it's Eilean then I suppose the most famous film shot there would be Highlander.

Did you make it to Applecross while you were there,?
We have a winner....Eilean Donan it is. They shot other movies there, but Highlander seems to have put it on the map, if you don't count the all the Walkers Shortbread tin lids.

Pretty sure we didn't make it to Applecross. We ambled our way over to Urquhart castle on some very nice roads. Make a cup of tea from Loch Ness water. No sooner finished our cuppa and the heavens opened again, and never stopped all the way home. We tried to stop over night in many hotels, but each one flipped the vacant sign when they saw 2 motorcycle approaching. In the end a kind family in Oban put us up in their B&B. Fabulous. Even put his car out in the rain and had us park the bikes in the garage. Never been so wet in my life....we were leaving trails of water behind us in the motorway service stations whenever we stopped for food, drinks, toilets. Soggy undercrackers do not make for happy riding!

Still, a brilliant trip that I remember fondly to this day.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts