Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Soggy undercrackers do not make for happy riding!
Amen to that. Once my a$$ is wet, I'm done riding. Funny thing.....when I lived in the UK, I never owned a set of rain gear. I rode in my leathers, always. Either two piece or one piece. Except for a short time after I transferred from RAF Upper Heyford to RAF Croughton.

I made a habit of riding to work in my leathers and changing into my uniform once I got there. I'd arrive 45 minutes before my shift so I had plenty of time to get changed.

Then, the shop at Upper Heyford shut down, and the remaining people transferred to Croughton. One guy, he was dead set against motorcycling. Hated riders and made life difficult every chance he could. He found out what I was doing and ordered me to show up in uniform from then on.

The next morning it was tipping down like crazy. I put on my gortex parka over my uniform and rode in. Turns out, goretex doesn't keep out the rain at 100 mph. I was soaked through to the skin when I got there. I told the guy I was going back to the barracks to change into dry clothes and I'd be back as soon as I could make that happen.

At that point, our civilian supervisor whom I'd been working for since I'd been there asked why I didn't have my uniform in my locker like normal. So in front of this guy, I explained that I was ordered to be in uniform when I arrived and departed. He asked who ordered that, and that it was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard. I just pointed.

He told me to take one of the other guys, and the shop truck to go get changed and while I was at it, grab my riding gear and leave my dry uniform in my locker like I'd been doing. As I left, the NCO who'd told me to arrive in uniform started to protest and my boss said to me, "close the door on your way out"

There were some raised voices after and I kinda giggled all the way out to the parking lot. After I got back with my gear and in a dry uniform, I found out my boss told that guy to go finish processing out of the base and get out of there.

Needless to say, I went back to riding to work in my leathers. I didn't even own a car then. Well, not true. I did, but it was in US. These days, I just don't ride if it's raining out. I have a couple cars to choose from so no more of that.....sean

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Plumas Pines Resort on Lake Almanour, last Father's Day weekend. The WCM (West Coast Meet) for Ducati MS was held there. Beautiful place. Perfect for after ride activities too. Bar and Grill right on the property. No need to go anywhere for anything. Good food and beer right there. and scenery just like this every evening.

Then, in the morning.....all kinds of Ducatis forming up for rides after breakfast:

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Dry Clutch on a GSXR-750 Limited. 2015 World Superbike Weekend

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Eddie Lawson's 1987 Kawasaki KR500 as seen at 2016 World Superbike weekend.

This is Grand Prix technology from the mid-late 1980s. Check out the height adjustable front axle and brakes:

Note the slots cut into the rotor to help with rotor warpage. Also, the eccentric adustable axle for both height and wheel base length. Then there's the weight torque arm for the brake caliper. Presumably to control dive which was a big thing on bikes of the late mid 80s. When you see what happened to the front fender....kinda makes a bit of sense I guess:

That odd torque arm goes to a rocker that pivots on the fender mount on the fork. Still seems it does little good judging from the damage to the fender though. Lastly, a view of the cockpit from Eddie's point of view:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Rain, in Scotland, I find that hard to believe,ROFL

I've been caught out myself on more than one occasion by Scotlands “liquid sunshine”.

Worst one coming back from my fathers (lives in Thurso) I left about 5am, glorious sunshine.

Just before Inverness the heavens opened, rained all the way back to Preston. Stopped twice to empty my boots,LOL.

Got home and stripped off (in the rain) outside, I was that pink and wrinkly I looked like some sort of alien,LOL

Shame you didn't get to Applecross, it's a mecca for bikers. The “pass of the cattle” leading over to it is the steepest, twisty'est road in the UK, to ride it is one of those “bucket list” roads to ride.

Couple of pic's,

Applecross, looking over to Raasay, and on the very far horizon, the tops on the Isle of Skye.

The Pass of the cattle looking from about half way down with a view of Loch Kishorn between the mountains
Scotland 1 180.JPG
Scotland 1 180.JPG

Scotland 1 180.JPG

Scotland 1 193.JPG

·
Registered
283 Posts
Rain, in Scotland, I find that hard to believe,ROFL

I've been caught out myself on more than one occasion by Scotlands “liquid sunshine”.

Worst one coming back from my fathers (lives in Thurso) I left about 5am, glorious sunshine.

Just before Inverness the heavens opened, rained all the way back to Preston. Stopped twice to empty my boots,LOL.

Got home and stripped off (in the rain) outside, I was that pink and wrinkly I looked like some sort of alien,LOL

Familiar with Thurso. Drove there each year to sail to Stromness for my annual Scapa Flow diving pilgrimage.

You mentioned Preston....do you live there or close by? I was born in Blackpool, worked in Preston (BAE - Strand Road) before they tore the factory down), and lived in Kirkham.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
What a small world it is,LOL.

Starting with BAE and Strand road, my brother-in-law started at Strand road as an apprentice for BAE in the 80's He is now a director. He's just back from 4 yrs in Philadelphia, working with USAF on a joint project....something to do with pilotless aircraft that no one knows about,LOL

You wouldnt recognise Strand road now.

GEC side is pretty much the same, the building still stands, but GEC Alstom closed their doors around 3 yrs back. Aerospace side is office blocks, shopping centre, and some housing. Harley Davidson have a large showroom about half way along.

I come originally from Westhoughton....half way between Wigan and Bolton....but moved to Leyland when I left the army. I know Kirkham quite well, I used to visit the model shop on the town square a lot when I flew my model planes at Newton-with-Scales.

I've been over to Stromness from Scrabster a few times, and I've visited Scapa Flow.....not to dive though,lol.

I have a bit of a family connection with Scapa Flow through my grandfather who was in the Royal Navy. He was onboard Prince of Wales, involved with the sinking of the Bismark when the Hood was destroyed. He received the Distinguished Service Medal from King George VI for his exploits during the battle. He returned to Scapa Flow every 5yrs after the war and dropped a wreath in rememberance of the fallen.

Why Scapa Flow I dont know, he never said, but I suspect it had something to do with Prince of Wales being there prior to being sunk by the Japanese Naval Air Force. He was one of only a small number of suvivors.

So, there we go, small world, and a bit of family history thrown in, LOL.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

With my old '89 ZX-7, parked up at the old church in Whitney, Oxfordshire. My buddy Bill's '85 GSXR-750 parked nearby. Taken circa spring of 1994 maybe. Had to be.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I went down to see the latest Prince of Wales when it docked in Liverpool at the begining March, just before the lockdown started,
DSCF3169.JPG

DSCF3170.JPG

DSCF3171.JPG

DSCF3180.JPG

It's quite an impressive bit of kit

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

2nd paint job I did on my old ZX-7. Done with PPG acrylic lacquer and shot with an old school Binks siphon feed paint gun at the base auto hobby shop.

This was taken summer of 1995 in the Panama City area. I actually lived in a town called Calloway which was right over the bridge from Tyndall Air Force Base.

My inspiration for this particular paint scheme was Colin Edwards helmet from that era:

I learned alot of lessons with this paint job. But as I was already mostly done when I learned them, they were not applied until the following paint job seen in a previously posted image from the early 2Ks.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Luxembourg American Cemetary, Luxembourg City. Taken in the late 1980s. General George S. Patton, "Ol Blood & Guts" is buried here. Pretty close to the epicenter of the Battle of the Bulge.

Many thousands of Allied Soldiers and AIrmen died during the battle. More US casualties were taken in the "Bulge" than any other single battle of the war.

If anyone reading this has the opportunity to go, go to Bastogne, Belgium and see for yourself. In one of the greatest military feats of the war, the 101st Airborne held out against the advancing German Army for a week, even though completely surrounded.

Not only did they hold out until relieved by Patton's Army, they kept the German Army from reaching it's objective, the port of Antwerp. Had the German Army reached Antwerp, Allied forces would have been cut in half and the war probably prolonged for several more months, at the cost of many more lives.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Motus. 2017 WSBK weekend, Laguna Seca

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Candid pic taken by my wife. My buddy Pete and I...circa 1997, Carmel Valley Station, California. Either WSBK weekend or AMA Superbike race weekend.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Was doing some organizing today and found an old photo mat envelope of pictures. (For those too young, it’s how you got your film developed before digital photos)

I open it up, curious as to what photos had escaped my stash of old photographs. As the good ones always wind up in my photo albums I figured it was a bunch of out of focus or poor lighting.

Anyway, it turned out to be a trove of pics from my first paint job on my old Ninja.

All taken in the UK, this paint job was all done with Pactra model airplane enamel. I shot it with a Testor’s airbrush using canned compressed air.

I literally had to park each part next to the radiator in mine and a buddies dorm room so it would actually cure.

Anyway, enough blah blah, here’s the pics:

This from the day I bought the ZX-7. The original owner went down on some wet leaves at the end of Camp Road.

Above was take. In the barracks parking lot. I replaced all the smashed bodywork with Maier ABS replicas.

I painted the original red Ninja logo white and left the OEM silver shadow on the tank.

In the sun at RAF Croughton:

Finally, a shot from a place nearby the base called Brill.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

A castle nearby the air base I was stationed on in then West Germany. It's called Burg Eltz and the descendants of the family that built it, still live in it.

It was a pretty good trek up the side of the gorge to take the pic above. It no kidding still has a moat, or at least part of one.

I took this picture in early 1990...a little over 30 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long.

It appears there is now a wki-pedia page for the place: Eltz Castle - Wikipedia

·
Registered
283 Posts
"Just avoid the puddles".

Apparently, our definition of puddles is not the same. I had to go back and look for him after I realized I was missing a rider.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Flying into Australia, got vectored for the low approach over Sydney Harbor. Harbor Bridge and the Opera House in full view.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts

Cannery Row, July 2016. A roarty Morty!

141 - 160 of 166 Posts