Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to do the Fog mod but I’m having a real tough time sourcing the filter. Everywhere I’ve tried to buy says it’s a 2 month shipping time and will cost $100 (CAD). Anyone have any ideas on a source for this that will ship sooner or for cheaper?

Thought I’d ask before I go ahead with the price and wait

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Check the Uni-Filter. Might have better chances there. NU-2368 is the part number. About $25 in the states.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe, like po18guy, some others can chip in with alternate suggestions. I ran into the same problem last August when looking for mine. Found one on eBay for $55 (US) only to have the seller cancel the sale a couple days later as he found he could not actually get it. Ended up getting a different one from another eBay seller from Canada for $45 (US), but it was NOS, so it makes me wonder if K&N is no longer making the 5087... The only two listed on there now are about $90 shipped from either Greece or Bulgaria.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Okay time for my two cents, looks like it could be discontinued part from K&n itself. This is unfortunate but we knew it would happen eventually, due to the age of the bike, and not a really high volume bike anymore. Your best bet is to look for one NOS or used off eBay

·
Registered
428 Posts
And here's my two cents: Install a new stock Kawasaki filter and go ahead and do the FOG mod. It'll work fine except you might be down that last half a horsepower compared to a K&N (which you will never notice on the street). Meanwhile keep scanning ebay for used or NOS; you might get lucky. But no way I'd pay 100 bucks for an air filter.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Or another low restriction type air filter, will do in the meantime, uni-fliter maybe?

But as Fog will.point out, it's not the official FOG MOD without the K&N.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have used K&N since the 70s. Also in the EXs I own. Recently switched to a Uni as there is evidence that it filters better. Of course, that means that it must flow less. Generally, the K&N does flow better, but allows more gunk through. The Uni keeps more gunk out at the cost of flow - which falls above OEM but lower than K&N. On the street, filtration may not be as critical. In the dirt, it can make a huge difference in engine life.

The EX is a great 80mph/120kph bike for freeway or interstate use. It remains fast for a 500, but is still only a 500. If you really want that extra torque, a 650 is the logical choice. In competition, the slightest advantage make a big difference as that advantage is applied over multiple minutes and laps.

An example: Racing another bike with only slightly greater HP will leave your bike's front wheel at that bike's rear wheel at the end of the quarter mile. Oh so close! But, keep on racing for 10 or 20 miles, 20 or 30 laps and that distance just keeps increasing.

The street is not competition, but transportation. Stock the bike is able to leave virtually all traffic behind, and maintain well above legal cruising speed. Folks who ride Ninja 650s and SV650s are also looking for that little bit more. This says more about the human creature than it does about the bikes.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. - Aldous Huxley

Reactions: ridervfr

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m not too concerned about the extra HP. It had been running but was rough and I just want it to run as smoothly as possible. I’ve cleaned the carbs and done valve adjustment, new spark plugs and figured I might as well do the fog mod while I’m at it. I might opt for an alternative filter

·
Registered
2006 ninja EX500r
34 Posts
I’m trying to do the Fog mod but I’m having a real tough time sourcing the filter. Everywhere I’ve tried to buy says it’s a 2 month shipping time and will cost $100 (CAD). Anyone have any ideas on a source for this that will ship sooner or for cheaper?

Thought I’d ask before I go ahead with the price and wait

I got mine about a month ago from Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got one in December from Powersport Superstore. Seems to me that it's getting hard to find alot of parts due to CoronaV. Had some parts on order for valve adjustment which never came. Had to cancel the order and go to the local Kaw dealer. 3 days later I had the parts. About the same price as on line.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
we cannot get the K&N for the EX not been able to for a long while. however there is a brand called FRAM that do one for the EX (hi-flow) it is a K&N type not the stock sponge type. it's the one I use seems to work fine with the airbox mod.

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up just getting a kn5087 off of eBay for $60. It’s possible to get them from certain online stores but wait times were quoted at 2 months

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
I'm sorry I made that specification to the FOG MOD i got a free hour of dyno time with the purchase of my filter, and I never tried any others. The mod was a discovery of that session, not the intended consequences. So I did not want any disappointed people saying the Mod didn't work because they used another filter. Never said others wouldn't work ,just never tested them''FOG

Reactions: Elsevere
1 - 15 of 15 Posts