Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get new tires for my 2003 ex500. i want a more aggressive style tire than the original. i think i have decided on the kenda k671. does anyone have these, or know if they are a good tire or not? thanks

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
An almost totally unfair comment on Kenda...

I got a new 20 speed road bicycle 1.6 years ago. It came w/ Kenda tires.
I had 3 flats w/in 6 weeks. On my old Continental's I get a flat maybe once every 2 years.
After 2 months I put on new Continentals... no flats since.

How fair is that to compare bicycle tires & motorcycle tires w/ the same brand name on them.
Don't know.

Seems like folks have mentioned a LOT of good tires in other threads... did you read them?
Give it a shot. Education saves $$ & helps get better quality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've just brought a rear K671 home last night. Hopefully I'll install it in a couple of weeks. I've had K671 tires on my Ninja 250 as well. The tires were noticeably better than stock and I was perfectly satisfied with them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I ordered a maxxis tire tuesday night from tires unlimited. Got phone call from the owner of the company apologizing that they were out of them, so he asked if I would like to have them send me one of these Kenda's I said ok as long as it was good quality. He said that they were, but also said that if I get them and I don't like what I get I can just call them up. Hopefully I wont have too. I think a bias ply is a bias ply and you'll get pretty much the same performance out of all of the them.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I had a K671 on the back of my old 500R, I wasnt impressed, I was amazed at how it held the road. decent tire for the cost, but Pirelli offers some nicer stuff.

·
Registered
722 Posts
bobthebiker said:
I wasnt impressed, I was amazed at how it held the road.
can't really tell what you're trying to say here, are you trying to say that this was a crappy tire and you couldn't believe that it even gripped the road? or are you saying that it was so amazing at how it gripped?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Kenda 671s on a 90 ex500 and a 94 ex250 (same size for both). the price is right and I have found them to be very good so far, good grip and wear seems good after 1,000 miles.

I'd recomend them.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'd like to see those 2 rides parked aide to side if you can take a pict :)

I'm also curious to know which parts can be swapped between those 2 bikes, they are quite similar IIRC ;D

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Jason said:
bobthebiker said:
I wasnt impressed, I was amazed at how it held the road.
can't really tell what you're trying to say here, are you trying to say that this was a crappy tire and you couldn't believe that it even gripped the road? or are you saying that it was so amazing at how it gripped?
I'm saying that for the price, I was surprised with how it gripped. never once slipped on me, and I had 2500 miles on mine with absolutely ZERO signs of wear on the tire.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
An almost totally unfair comment on Kenda...

I got a new 20 speed road bicycle 1.6 years ago. It came w/ Kenda tires.
I had 3 flats w/in 6 weeks. On my old Continental's I get a flat maybe once every 2 years.
After 2 months I put on new Continentals... no flats since.

How fair is that to compare bicycle tires & motorcycle tires w/ the same brand name on them.
Don't know.

Seems like folks have mentioned a LOT of good tires in other threads... did you read them?
Give it a shot. Education saves $$ & helps get better quality.
Keeping a constant level on the fairness factor ;), the Continental tires on my Sable, my dad's Sable, and my in-law's Sable wagon all blew the belts and got bad wobbles at low speed. That's a lot of bad tires :p.

Never had a Kenda on anything, but just realized the other day that I've been sporting a Cheng Shin HiMax (came on the bike, never looked at it until I needed to replace it) and found it to be a pretty nice tire. I'm going to get another one soon.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dang, less than 1/2 the price of BT45s. I kind of wish I hadn't just got new tires, I'd like to try these.

·
Registered
722 Posts
damarble said:
Dang, less than 1/2 the price of BT45s. I kind of wish I hadn't just got new tires, I'd like to try these.
dealership near me wanted $150 for battle axs, I paid $73 for Kenda's(supposed to have been maxxis) w/ shipping.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I'm actually ordering another K671 soon for the back. my current BT45 is showing some signs of age, so its time to do a burnout and replace it, or I may just ride it till its dead and get a new one. depends on my finances and how mad I am.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I got my tire today, was surprised about that wasnt expecting it til monday (TiresUnlimited is great check them out). I was going to take it to a dealership near my work, but I called and they only mount tires that I buy from them. So I'll have to go to this other shop on the opposite side of the county tomorrow. I'll report back about my ride.

·
Registered
496 Posts
please keep us informed. i just order micheliin actv's, but they are on back order. no one local has ANYTHING in stock for the front. so im thinkin of getting the kendas.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
On another tire thread (one of a million) when asked what tires to get , I said "Round Black ones" I repeat.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
On another tire thread (one of a million) when asked what tires to get , I said "Round Black ones" I repeat.

FOG
You've got me using that response myself. I rather enjoy it :p.

Just out of curiosity, what do you run on your VFR? Any special reason you chose them?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Got my new rear installed. Stone cold brand new tire on a chilly morning gripped better than the stocker. Held its own on the 20 mile ride home, which included a balls to the wall trip through some twisties to the tune of "Down with the Sickness", so I'm pretty sure this will be a great tire. It kept grip when I lost some grip in the front due to a gravel hazard the county put on my road. I'll due further road testing and report back after about 200 miles. I have used almost all of the contact patch except for about 1" on each side(see pic), but I'll get that chicken strip off there soon.

I can't attest to it's rain grip yet but the tread pattern looks like it may be good.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Nick D said:
FOG said:

FOG
You've got me using that response myself. I rather enjoy it :p.

Just out of curiosity, what do you run on your VFR? Any special reason you chose them?
Bridgestone BT45s Because there round and black.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Jason said:
Got my new rear installed. Stone cold brand new tire on a chilly morning gripped better than the stocker. Held its own on the 20 mile ride home, which included a balls to the wall trip through some twisties to the tune of "Down with the Sickness", so I'm pretty sure this will be a great tire. It kept grip when I lost some grip in the front due to a grave hazard the county put on my road. I'll due further road testing and report back after about 200 miles. I have used almost all of the contact patch except for about 1" on each side(see pic), but I'll get that chicken strip off there soon.

I can't attest to it's rain grip yet but the tread pattern looks like it may be good.
Great stuff, keep us posted on this ;D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts