Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get the owner's manual with my 2001 EX and I'm not sure of the purpose of the last position on the ignition switch (key switch). It's the one if you turn all the way to the right (LOCK- OFF-ON-?)and has a little pictogram of a light(?). I can see that the turn signals work in that position but what is it used for?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try it. I'd really rather have flashing hazard lights too. Maybe it could be rigged to do that too.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
You might want to think that one over a bit. The standard system only turns on the outboard parking lamps to save the Battery, designed for overnight parking. If you hook up the hazzard lights you'll flatten the Batt in an hour.

FOG

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was thinking short term like just pulling off the road but that is a good point. I'm curious when you would leave it parked so long with the light like that?

Thanks

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Yeah I don't know either. I think it's a European thing , because of the narrow streets.
FOG

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No from what I've heard it was eliminated in the 2nd gen bikes. Seems like it wouldn't be to hard to add back with a little switch somewhere. I'd like to have if for when I have to pull off the side of the road for something. Actually the first 2 months I was riding I would pull off when I ran out of gas and had to switch to reserve. I wasn't taking my hands off the handlebars for a second! ;) I'm doing much better now, but still think hazard could be useful.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
dragknee said:
doesnt your bike already have hazards?
Mine has hazards...
whenever this rusty old owner is on it. :eek: ;D ::)

S

·
0 Posts
My '97 has hazards/running lights. I disabled the running lights when I hooked up new front signals.

·
Registered
530 Posts
2001ex500 said:
No from what I've heard it was eliminated in the 2nd gen bikes. Seems like it wouldn't be to hard to add back with a little switch somewhere. I'd like to have if for when I have to pull off the side of the road for something.
Thanks
It's actually not that complicated. All you have to do is swap out your left hand control for a pre '94 with a hazzard switch. A mod I'll do once I find a control that's cheap. I've been watching ebay for a while with no luck yet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lacessit said:
2001ex500 said:
No from what I've heard it was eliminated in the 2nd gen bikes. Seems like it wouldn't be to hard to add back with a little switch somewhere. I'd like to have if for when I have to pull off the side of the road for something.
Thanks
It's actually not that complicated. All you have to do is swap out your left hand control for a pre '94 with a hazzard switch. A mod I'll do once I find a control that's cheap. I've been watching ebay for a while with no luck yet.
Good idea! Just have to find one in good shape and cheap. I'll add that to my mods-to-do list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts