Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off i wanna state i dont have/cant borrow a truck........... My bike is at my GFs appt some douchebag thought it was a good idea to jam a piece of something metal into my ignition switch....... thereby i cant start it....... wasn't that worried about it until today when she calls me freaking out because the appt manager is going to have it towed if i dont get it out of there today! So here is my dilemma looking at the wiring diagram i cant seem to figure out what i need to do to bypass the switch?? Plan to either rekey the whole bike or replace the ignition in the future but as of right now im kinda stuck with having to hotwire my own bike......... I know this isnt info that would/should be floating around so if anyone that knows how could please pm me i would be forever in your debt

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
What a jerk!

A better named title would have helped. i changed it to what it is now. HELP!!!! doesn't really scream ugency or special attention.

you're welcome.

The process shouldn't be too complicated. i know FOG sold a friend of his' 500R that had keyless ign. so it certainly is possible. good luck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It isn't difficult at all. I went through this when my youngest moved my only key.

From the bottom of the bike, unbolt the ignition module from the triple. From there you can disassemble the module to remove the cover exposing the wires where they are soldered to the connectors on the bottom of the module (see pic). I tested using a short wire with clips. I can't recall which wires you need to jump, but just experiment and you will find them. As long as the steering isn't locked, you are good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Where is FOG when you need him most.... :'(

Maybe look at Ronayers and see if you can find the wiring diagram. That might help you figure out what wires to cross and connect etc in order to bypass the ignition physically. ???

Too bad you can't just break the steering column, pop out the horseshoe pin and push the rod. although I have NO experience doing that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
hooligan said:
It isn't difficult at all. I went through this when my youngest moved my only key.

From the bottom of the bike, unbolt the ignition module from the triple. From there you can disassemble the module to remove the cover exposing the wires where they are soldered to the connectors on the bottom of the module (see pic). I tested using a short wire with clips. I can't recall which wires you need to jump, but just experiment and you will find them. As long as the steering isn't locked, you are good to go.
Moved your key or you forget it on the way to the track prior to the birth of your checklist? LOL JK :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hooligan said:

I wasnt worried about getting to them....... There is a wiring diagram on the wiki just cant make sense of it........... Trying to figure out what wires to cross

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine is second gen......... Looks to me as far as i can gather i have to make 3 connections......... brown, white, and grey then red-blue and red then black-white and white-green?????? I think

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
v4p0ro0o said:
I wasnt worried about getting to them....... There is a wiring diagram on the wiki just cant make sense of it........... Trying to figure out what wires to cross
Your bike is '94, according to your Fuelly profile? My guess is Brown, White and Grey, according to the colorized wiring diagram in the wiki. Those 3 are bridged when key is in ON position to get it fired up. The others are for lighting.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If you have removed the lower part of the ignition switch and exposed the wires, just flip that part of the switch over and use a screwdriver in the "T" slot. Bike starts right up. Problem is that the forks may still be locked. You'll have to remove the upper part of the switch from the triple clamp to unlock your forks. Or just finish ruining the switch with a BF screwdriver and turn the thing on.

The ignition switch is in two parts - the key lock/fork lock is the upper part and the electrical switch is the lower part. Separate the two parts, then use a screwdriver in the "T" slot of the electrical switch and the engine starts. Thing is, you probably need a "security" Torx T-10 bit to remove the screw which holds the lower switch to the upper part. You can get them at electrical supply or maybe Radio Shack.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Once this fellow retrieves his bike can we delete this thread? I don't like the idea of ''how to steal a ninja'' being a thread that is searchable and semi public : )

Am I being a pansy? Lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tried the splicing the wires couldnt get it to start........ would turn over just fine but wouldnt fire........... ended up pushing it almost 2 miles to a friends house......... Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Please delete this!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
This information is widely available all over the internet for vehicles of all sorts. One more thread isn't going to make your bike any more vulnerable.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
The kawasaki manual has a chart that tells exactly what wires connect to what to make the switch work. Since the OP has already resolved his problem I assume there is no need to post it. I already posted it a few months ago for a racer that wanted a simple on off switch. Its probably still on the site somewhere.

If they want your bike bad enough they will probably just pick it up and throw it in a van.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't understand why it was so difficult. In less than 10 minutes I had mine ready to go. Sorry you had to push it. Glad it didn't get towed though.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Eric.Smit said:
This information is widely available all over the internet for vehicles of all sorts. One more thread isn't going to make your bike any more vulnerable.
Just the principle of it. I would rather someone spend the time to search the web over or go by a book then be able to come here and get it. Not a big deal I guess, just felt like the smart thing to do but in the end doesn't matter. Just looking out for my brother and sisters!

Ur overseas aren't you? Where are you stationed? Happy New Years my friend, thank you for your service and sacrafice.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
To Friends and Family

With this New Year, may you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies, quick to make friends.
But rich or poor, quick or slow, may you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.

Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts