Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

keys...

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  HooliganD 
#1 ·
I am the origiginal owner 2005ex and I am down to my last key.
I have the key code but when I called the dealer where I
purchased the moto, they just laughed and said those codes mean nothing.

Where do I go for either key blanks or precut keys using the key code?

-b[/color]

#3 ·
bmbmoto said:
I am the origiginal owner 2005ex and I am down to my last key.
I have the key code but when I called the dealer where I
purchased the moto, they just laughed and said those codes mean nothing.

Where do I go for either key blanks or precut keys using the key code?

-b[/color]
...to a different dealer. that code tag is to be used when cutting a new key. obviously, the place you went to doesn't have a clue...

#5 ·
There is a trick to cutting the key if you want it to work for your gas tank or seat though. Make sure to use carefully look at the orig key. There is a taper that just cutting the key around the outside won't get it. THey actually have to file down the key at some certain points for a proper copy. Trust me. Been there and done that. I'm glad I checked the key right after they cut it. It would turn the bike on but not work for the seat and gas cap. I looked at both keys. I saw what needed to be done. I went back in and showed them and they fixed it up no problem.

#6 ·
As mentioned, any decent locksmith can cut the key and will have the appropriate blank. A dealer wants ten dollars for a key, the locksmith should charge you less than that for both the blank and cutting the profile.

These keys are not arcane, you should have no problem finding a blank, even at a generic hardware store.

#9 ·
If you have another key that is the right blank, but won't work in all locks, a locksmith can help you re-cut that key, too. The locksmith I like to use regularly has me go out to the vehicle, try the key in all locks, car door, tailgate, ignition, bike fork lock, ignition, seat lock. If it doesn't work in all of them he/she will file around on the key and get it to work.

I hate getting locked out of my truck when the key doesn't work in the door.

#10 ·
exer said:
If you have another key that is the right blank, but won't work in all locks, a locksmith can help you re-cut that key, too. The locksmith I like to use regularly has me go out to the vehicle, try the key in all locks, car door, tailgate, ignition, bike fork lock, ignition, seat lock. If it doesn't work in all of them he/she will file around on the key and get it to work.

I hate getting locked out of my truck when the key doesn't work in the door.
+1 on all counts, I go to my locksmith for all my key cutting now, might cost a bit more then wally world or whatever, but I'm treated right and I know my **** is going to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.