Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys i have a kle 500 2003 . And i was painting my exhaust. So o remove the exhaust and i was looking in the exhaust valves . On each sylinder. The left side was black with carbon. And on each cylinder the left aide was like brand New. Has anyone an idea what that associate with ? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello guys i have a kle 500 2003 . And i was painting my exhaust. So o remove the exhaust and i was looking in the exhaust valves . On each sylinder. The left side was black with carbon. And on each cylinder the left aide was like brand New. Has anyone an idea what that associate with ? Thanks
Maybe in that valve the valve simering is dead. I had the same issue with my yamaha, but all of the valves. Is the bike smoke blue, or do you realize oil eating? It could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
hi. I seem to have missed this question. perhaps it is the way it was written.
quote "The left side was black with carbon. And on each cylinder the left aide was like brand New."
it cannot be black with carbon and like new on the same side. I assume you mean the left side is carboned up and the right side is clean (like new) if so the left side is likely burning oil. a compression test will determine if it's the head or the piston rings. most probable cause if compressions are equal is a leaking valve stem oil seal.
although if the left side was running rich for some considerable time it would carbon that side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe in that valve the valve simering is dead. I had the same issue with my yamaha, but all of the valves. Is the bike smoke blue, or do you realize oil eating? It could be the problem.
No burning oil. No smoke coming out of the exhauste.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
A simple miss adjustment (imbalance) of the pilot screws could account got the color difference of the exhaust. In a otherwise perfectly running EX.
A exhaust gas analyses could show it

Fog

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A simple miss adjustment (imbalance) of the pilot screws could account got the color difference of the exhaust. In a otherwise perfectly running EX.
A exhaust gas analyses could show it

Fog
Can you explain it a little bit better ? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi. I seem to have missed this question. perhaps it is the way it was written.
quote "The left side was black with carbon. And on each cylinder the left aide was like brand New."
it cannot be black with carbon and like new on the same side. I assume you mean the left side is carboned up and the right side is clean (like new) if so the left side is likely burning oil. a compression test will determine if it's the head or the piston rings. most probable cause if compressions are equal is a leaking valve stem oil seal.
although if the left side was running rich for some considerable time it would carbon that side.
Thank you for your answer

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
your welcome. basically when an issue arises. you have to think logically about what the issue is and how to diagnose the problem. in your case we can assume the bike as normal as you didn't notice a problem until you removed the exhaust. then saw one exhaust port was sooty and the other one not.
it is easy to deduce that one side (the sooty side) has an issue.
first question why is it sooty is it oil burn or is that side running rich. easy to tell in two ways if you have the equipment.
first is the residue in the port dry soot or wet soot. if it is dry soot the chances are one side is running rich (the longer it runs rich the more soot build up) by using a gas analyser or colour tune you will find out if it's running rich on one side.
the causes usually be an imbalance in the carbs mixture screw settings or uneven flow most likely.
however if the soot is wet (it is probably oil) there is two ways oil can get into the engine piston rings and valve seals.
a compression test will show if it's down on one side. if it is do a compression test mark down the results. then add a few grams of oil down the plug holes do the test again. if the compression go up on the second test then the issue is in the bores. if there is no difference then the issue is in the head.
usually though if it's oil the exhaust will smoke with a blue tint. easy on a EX with twin pipes not so much on like a KLE with a 2 into 1 pipe.

in summary if you find an issue you have to do the checks and diagnosis because you may have just found the early stages of a major engine breakdown or just a simple mixture screw adjustment. if you don't check you will not know the difference. people who know and do the tests tend to keep their bikes running longer and in a better state of tune.

hope that explains it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i understand but let me tell you the story. I brought my kle broken basically the top end flange was burned water was going onside the engine. And so on . I got the head out. We did the thing that flattens the head i cant remember the name. And fix some valve's seat.. now its all good. So basically i was removing the exhaust and i noticed . Something's as i was looking on the front of the engine with the exhaust ouy. I saw in the left cylinder. You have to valves ok. So i lloked in the first cylinder the left valve was black with carbon not oil just carbon. And the right vvalve on the first cylinders was all cleaned up. And same situation was in the other cylinder as well . I hope i explain it to you .

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
The cause of two valves being different color in the same cylinder, is likely caused by the pair system. as it injects fresh air into the exhaust port. check to see which side of the port has the hole. the color of the stem of the valve has no bearing on engine performance. you need to compare the valve head .

I didn't get that as all my race engines had the pair system blocked off.

FOG

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
What is the pair system can you explain please ?
All that plumbing on the top of the engine is there to inject fresh air into the exhaust to promote continued burning of the unturned portion of the power charge.
the the big container draws fresh air from the air box and injects it into the exhaust port through the hollow dowels. Most owners remove the whole mess, with little consequences.

Fog

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that i think about ir you are right this thinks is located on the valves that are clean. Now i get it ok i was scared it was something else . Thanks man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts