Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, my name is Sean and I’m a gear whore….

I picked up a KYT TT-Course helmet recently from eBay seller Forzasbk out of Pennsylvania.
Automotive design Cap Sports gear Personal protective equipment Motorcycle accessories

I had seen the KYT brand on a number of MotoGP riders in all 3 classes. Mainly though, long time Aprilia factory team rider Aleix Espargaro has worn one for several years now.

As he’s second in the Champuonship right now, it’s been on my brain more often to look into getting one.

The company is not very old having started up in Asia at the tail end of the 1990s. Founded by the owner of the PT Tara group which boasts the largest helmet production facility in the world.

There are other options but I chose the TT-course helmet as more of a toe in the water kinda thing. Never seen them in person nor ever put one on my dome.

One thing I will state up front is that the shield mechanism is beyond a royal pain in the behind to swap shields. Worst by far of any helmet I’ve ever owned or worn.

The helmet arrived on Friday. I ordered a smoke shield to go with it as riding here this time of year it’s pretty much required.

Took nearly 20 minutes to swap the shield out. Seconds to remove the clear one the full 20 to get the smoke shield installed.

The helmet itself feels quite plush when pulled on. My only fit complaint is the ear pockets feel too small. My ear lobes are compressed against my skull. Other than that, it’s quite comfortable.

I rode with this morning on my way to work. I gotta say, it is a very quiet helmet. No intrusive noise and even the raspy Yoshimura exhaust on my GSXR was kinda muted.

The helmet is also quite light probably within a few hundred grams of my ultra light X-Lite helmets. The shield mechanism that makes it such a pain to swap shields works quite well on the road.

It ratchets in seeming 6 positions but can be maintained in smaller non-ratchet positions below the lowest ratchet position. Also there is a shield lock and the shield can be cracked open resting on the lock to demist the shield without a full on blast of air to the face.

Venting seems to work well. Enough so that it felt unobtrusive. Didn’t notice it, but there were no hot spots nor seeming lack of air flow.

The best part is the price. I paid $139 after tax for the helmet plus $28 for the dark smoke shield. All in it was $175 shipped to my door.

At this point, the only complaint I have is the level of difficulty swapping the shield. The Kabuto Aeroblade that I have was in a similar price point but the shield mechanism is superior. I can swap shields with the helmet on my head in less than 10 seconds. NO WAY is that happening with the KYT.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Quite affordable for all that style and tech. Unlike you, I'm a drop down sun visor guy, so I'm checking that feature out. If I was bux up, I'd buy a helmet that cost more than my bike - but I'm not. Am looking at the MT (Spain) helmets, as they have some neat features and their graphics really pop. Also begging somone - anyone - to import RST gear from the UK. Their boots are dope.

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sportbike Track Gear had RST boots on their site. Dunno if they still do…hadn’t paid attention the last few times I’ve been on there. I think Bellisimoto does also. Again, just hadn’t paid attention.

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite affordable for all that style and tech. Am looking at the MT (Spain) helmets, as they have some neat features and their graphics really pop.
Funny you mention MT Helmet. They’ve sponsored an entire Moto3 team. Ryusei Yamanaka and teenager Diogo Morreiro ride for them and obviously wear MT helmets.

Also Pedro Acosta; reigning Moto3 champ and rookie Moto2 rider is wearing an MT helmet this year. He’s won a race already and has been in the spotlight quite a bit. He’s kinda the first time I noticed the MT logo on his leathers and had to look it up.

Id definitely consider one, if just to try it out and see if it’s any good.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Got a black 89 EX? Here's your helmet!

Helmet Sports gear Peripheral Sports equipment Input device

However, I like the G/W/R "Italian" color combo.
Helmet Sports equipment Sports gear Automotive design Motorcycle helmet

I may take the risk and pull the trigger on this one. It will have to come from the UK.

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wish they did replicas of the racers they sponsor. I might pop for one of those.

One of the new up and coming Spanish kids, David Munoz is sponsored by MT. He wasn’t even old enough to race at the start of the year. He finally joined the team at the Mugello race and was pretty impressive. He finished 2nd at Barcelona last weekend.

I’d buy a replica of his helmet, or even Acosta’s as I followed his progression from rookies cup right through his rookie year championship to his current Moto2 rookie year. Kid is seriously impressive and is still under 20 years old.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
i'm pretty sure i saw dennis foggia with a KYT helmet this last weekend. arai has a bunch of nakagami replica helmets for sale, but he's not exactly my favorite rider i gotta say... anyways can't wait to see how acosta keeps coming up, kid is seriously impressive

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without doubt Acosta is an amazing talent. I could see him winning the Moto2 title next year.

And yeah, Foggia wears a KYT like Dallaporta before him. Masia and Espargaro too.

·
Tanker Clown
8,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So uh, I stumbled on this a few days ago from the same seller on eBay:
Helmet Sports equipment Product Cap Sports gear

Supposedly it will be here next week Monday. I hope so. I’d like to wear it at least once before we leave for vacation on Wednesday. Will be off-line for about a month after that.

Reactions: po18guy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts