Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some of the 1157 Bulb replacements that are essentially the same as our bulbs but L.E.D.

Just FYI they are considerably less bright than the stock bulbs. :-\ Essentially, they focus all of the light straight back and the reflector housing doesn't amplify the brake light while applying the brakes. I swapped back to the stockers and I believe that it is much more visible and safer.

I thought that people should now if they were planning on swapping. 8)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I bought a pair of LED replacement bulbs like you're talking about and they were exactly the same brightness. I got them at Autozone. I was disappointed that they weren't brighter, glad they weren't dimmer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
if they're the same brightness then they would still be better than stock based on the fact that they draw less power and will last longer than regular filament bulbs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased my set at autozone also. Yes, they were labled "Super Bright" but they were not. I would say looking straight it looked like two eyes behind the lenses. If that makes sense. They would brighten up when you applied the brakes but there didn't seem to be a lot of difference in the taillight and the taillight with brakes on. With the regular bulbs the whole taillight lights up...I just didn't feel comfortable with the lack of brightness when I applied the brakes.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Shopshirt Mofo said:
I purchased my set at autozone also. Yes, they were labled "Super Bright" but they were not. I would say looking straight it looked like two eyes behind the lenses. If that makes sense. They would brighten up when you applied the brakes but there didn't seem to be a lot of difference in the taillight and the taillight with brakes on. With the regular bulbs the whole taillight lights up...I just didn't feel comfortable with the lack of brightness when I applied the brakes.
I know what you mean, I just don't think mine were that way. I got mine a good while back, at least a year or more ago, so they might carry something different now.

Jason said:
if they're the same brightness then they would still be better than stock based on the fact that they draw less power and will last longer than regular filament bulbs.
I like mine, I just thought they'd really pop compared to the stockers but brightness wise it was just a lateral movement. I'd buy them again (at a slight discount :p ) just based on the fact that they draw less power and they're crisper than the stockers. With the stock it was like the bulb had to warm up (and I know we're only talking over the period of a 1/2 second or less so it's not really a big deal). With the LEDs you touch the brake or flick on the signal and it's fully on. Turn it off and it's out. The biggest thing to me, though, was that they won't likely ever go out. I had my KZ tail go out one night and was a little afraid of getting rear ended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts