Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
the hole in in the very corner of the cover and might have been plugged with carbon crud, And there would not be any performance difference determinable, Or you could have a European cam cover in which case your Pair system was ineffective and you didn't need the cover plates at all.

FOG

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know the pair doesn't affect performance but i meant doing your mod and putting a new filter in made a difference

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
then you in the wrong thread.

FOG

·
Registered
101 Posts
LT1throttlejunkie said:
A few questions. When i took the reed valves and everything off (bought the gaskets) it was solid, just the engine underneath. So why the need for the block off plates? Did I forget to take something out? Im just wondering because there wasn't any hole or opening to be blocked off by the plates.
That was my question for this thread. You answered it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
LT1throttlejunkie said:
Great kit, another happy customer!! A few questions. When i took the reed valves and everything off (bought the gaskets) it was solid, just the engine underneath. So why the need for the block off plates? Did I forget to take something out? Im just wondering because there wasn't any hole or opening to be blocked off by the plates. But I rode the bike and put my K & N filter on and its better than before
Thanks again!!!
Wonderful, thank you. I'm glad you like the kit!

For others I received shipping confirmation on my recent order. I hope to have them in hand by early next week and, assuming there are no quality issues, back up in stock shortly there-after.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Alon said:
scottsdale said:
What is the advantage to doing this? I ride mine everyday so i dont want any long term side effects to show up
This is basically done for 2 reasons:
- To prevent future problems with the pair system, since it doesn't contribute anything to the functionality of the bike, it's just easier to go on the safe side and remove it.
- To get rid of the clutter - you'll gain easier access to the carbs, plugs and the valves cover
I know this is an old thread, but...what is the point of the PAIR system in the first place? I'm having a hard time figuring out why it's even in there...would someone mind explaining? Surely the Kwak designers wouldn't just waste money on useless parts?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
SCUBA-Steve said:
Alon said:
scottsdale said:
What is the advantage to doing this? I ride mine everyday so i dont want any long term side effects to show up
This is basically done for 2 reasons:
- To prevent future problems with the pair system, since it doesn't contribute anything to the functionality of the bike, it's just easier to go on the safe side and remove it.
- To get rid of the clutter - you'll gain easier access to the carbs, plugs and the valves cover
I know this is an old thread, but...what is the point of the PAIR system in the first place? I'm having a hard time figuring out why it's even in there...would someone mind explaining? Surely the Kwak designers wouldn't just waste money on useless parts?
Read the beginning of the thread it explains it. basically it adds air to the exhaust to burn unburnt fuel for emissions purposes. Its that pop you hear in the exhaust. Removing it does no harm or good except make things cleaner.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
SCUBA-Steve said:
ohh I've got it now. For some reason I thought that part was for the Cali bikes only. Thanks!!!
Cali bikes have additional emissions equipment in addition to the pair system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So, does anyone have a walk-through or know how to go about removing all the extra emissions equipment. I did the PAIR removal tonight. (The kit was exceptionally well made and packaged - Thank You!) But, it wasn't the easiest procedure as this "other" emissions device - which my friend said must be a charcoal canister ??? is REALLY in the way and packaged so tightly its hard to make out how to remove it. Also of interesting note: I took a look in the airbox and there was a K&N in there but the airbox mod had not been performed by the previous owner, at least not in the FOG approved way. I've got some figuring out to do. I'll post pics for reference tomorrow when I have better light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would just like to throw in my two cents on this kit.
Its very well made. I work in a machine shop at my school, so i can tell when items are well made. This kit is laser cut, and as such it turned out really nicely. It includes everything you need (but i would encourage you to get the gasket kit). It only takes a couple of minutes to install, and makes a lot more room under the tank, and cuts out a bit of weight. Also if your PAIR hoses are damaged like mine were it makes the bike run better as well.
I would strongly encourage anyone thinking about getting this kit to purchase it.
Also shipping was really quick.
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just ordered one.

Out of curiosity would the blocked vacuum line on the right carb, and the open(connected to fuel petcock) line on the left carb cause any effect to unsync the carbs after this kit is applied?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Unless there is a leaked both always were and still are blocked. The right is blocked by the replacement cap and the left is blocked by the fuel valve diaphragm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hello all,

What I did was simply disconnect the PAIR thing from the airbox, the right carb vaccum and the 2 intakes on the valve cover.

Then I simply put clear tape on the airbox hole, plugged the right carb vaccum hose with zipties and connected the 2 PAIR intakes together (top of valve cover) with a single hose (from this same PAIR system). Do you guys see anything that could go wrong with this setup ? possible leaks ?...

thanks !

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
No that fine except the main reason for removing the "Pair System" is for cleaner access. Your method is only half as good.

FOG

·
Registered
46 Posts
FOG said:
No that fine except the main reason for removing the "Pair System" is for cleaner access. Your method is only half as good.

FOG
Agreed. The only thing that's left in the way is the big rubber hose which takes 4 and a half seconds to remove. Anything that costs more than $ 0.04 to plug these 2 PAIR intakes is a waste of my money based on my hourly income :p

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
Well 2 pieces of 5/16 wooden dowel 1" Long should fit the budget.

FOG

41 - 60 of 75 Posts