Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
That's what gives MC riders a bad name.

The last place in the country where you would want to walk up to an occupied car with a gun is Texas.
If you want to act a fool, may as well come to Atlanta. Even if the police got involved, all that would happen is the mayor would end up firing the police officer.
This video is from a couple of years ago, when we had better law and order.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you aren't expecting people to block your path, you're not ready for lanesplitting. I don't recall ever having emotional reactions to bad driving. It just goes with the territory, and that's why any motorcyclist is very defensive.

I always know I'm in the presence of a scarily inexperienced rider when they have some "almost got killed" story that amounts to a car wandering into their lane. That used to happened to me every day, when I was wearing hi-viz yellow, and you just swerve away and carry on.

That said, cagers absolutely do try to block the splitters. All you can do is laugh and still get past them at some point anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That said, cagers absolutely do try to block the splitters. All you can do is laugh and still get past them at some point anyway.
Best part about the 500 for sure, 32 inches ish at the mirrors, bars are even more narrow. The ninja can really fit through almost anything as long as cars aren't touching.

Reactions: happycommuter

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
lane splitting is dangerous and more often than not illegal in most countries with traffic management and there is a reason for that. while it's true some law enforcements tend to turn a blind eye to it, it doesn't change the facts. apart from speed it's the second biggest killer of motorcyclists. often because speed is also a factor.
drivers tend to be less aware of what is behind them than what is in front of them. so it comes as a surprise when a bike comes zooming past while they are in the correct lane often doing the correct speed limit. also by riding in between in lines of traffic. you must by design be undertaking one of the lines given overtaking is only allowed on the outside. overtaking on the inside (undertaking) is a traffic violation anyways..

however this practice must not be confused with lane filtering which is not only legal but is most cases preferable in slow moving (less than 10mph) or stationary traffic it makes sense to filter to the front, (if there is room) given that bikes become less stable at very low speed and would be less troublesome than moving very slow at a constant speed. I find it strange some don't seem to know the difference between the two.

·
Registered
19,638 Posts
on my way out to Bridgehampton one race weekend on my bike (no race for me) I came upon the jame at the end of the L.I.E. and decided to drive up between the stopped cars at maybe 10 MPH. a cop parked aside the road walk out into the jam and stopped me. he admitted he wasn't sure if I was breaking any law but held me there till all the people I passed went by. negating any advantages , just to be a Pr??

FOG

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, lane "splitting" and lane "filtering" are two different things. But, IMO, that's only on paper. I've never been a fan of lane filtering as it can be very startling for the cagers. And some cagers can get downright nasty when they see you coming in their rearview.

That said, the biggest problem I see is that, even though it's legal in some states the bikers tend to ride much faster than supposed to, some even making it a "challenge".

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
3 comments....guns and bikes don't mix. The car/SUV always wins. Avoid confrontation at all costs.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
52 Posts
a cop parked aside the road walk out into the jam and stopped me
Ha, I'm not the only one that's been stopped by a LEO on foot! I used to commute thru the Jersey City area, and bridge traffic got brutal at times. One time is was backed up a good mile or two and crawling, and I did the similar first gear crawl through the center. Saw a cop on the side of the road, quickly found a lane and resumed going nowhere like everybody else. He walked over, said "Stop riding between the cars." I said "OK" and I had to sit it all out.

One other time I lost it when another giant bridge became a parking lot. At work, after at least an hour, co-worker arrives and tells me he saw me roll past him on the bridge, which was under 5 miles away.

I find it strange some don't seem to know the difference between the two.
My understanding was that filtering was moving to the front of a queue at an intersection. That makes some sense but comes off as more of a dick move to me than crawling through traffic. By your definition, I would never lane split, always filter. I've seen the yahoos that wanted to go 90+mph when highway traffic was doing 45-60mph, so they scream between lanes. Those people are nuts, and usually wearing tank tops beating on their bare backs. My personal rule is stay in first gear and always be ready to find a hole to re-eenter a lane when traffic starts moving again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
People on here are such snowflakes, all caught up in how other people feel... while driving in traffic? WHO CARES!!! F*CK THEIR FEELINGS!!!! You do what you gotta do to stay safe, if that makes other people mad that's their go*damn problem. If them being mad makes them yell at you, still their problem. It's only your problem if by you ignoring them they become enraged to the point where they physically involve you. And at that point they've broken law(s) and you call the cops. It's not rocket science, filtering is safer and that's that. Splitting is legal in some states (USA), namely California and Florida, because they have the infrastructure (roads) built wide specially for it. If the roads are wider then it's safe.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ha Ha. there are smart people and dumb people. the smart ones tend to survive the others don't. dumb bikers spoil it for the smart ones, the FU attitude. IS the problem not the solution. the biker says FU. the cage driver also says FU. there is the problem in a nut shell. as someone said in a film. this is not Dodge city and your not wild bill.
you only have issues and problems if YOU create them.

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
I've seen the yahoos that wanted to go 90+mph when highway traffic was doing 45-60mph, so they scream between lanes. Those people are nuts, and usually wearing tank tops
brainless....many to become statistics. All it takes is 1 driver attempting a lane change....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting perspectives on here, doesn't seem to be representative of my area in the South East UK. If I couldn't filter through traffic then there's no advantage of me riding for the commute really, then it's just a toy. I was in the South West last week and had the driver of a large aggregates vehicle seemingly annoyed by my ability to filter, which was a bit of a blast from the past - haven't had that in a long time! Generally though when traffic is stacked up I find a surprising number of motorists pull quite far over to let you move past safely.

Having said that there's definitely a certain type of driver that wants to make a scene to kill time if they're stood in traffic, and especially if they see you have a camera on you. Like ducatiman says, just avoid aggro and focus on making progress.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Interesting perspectives on here, doesn't seem to be representative of my area in the South East UK. If I couldn't filter through traffic then there's no advantage of me riding for the commute really, then it's just a toy. I was in the South West last week and had the driver of a large aggregates vehicle seemingly annoyed by my ability to filter, which was a bit of a blast from the past - haven't had that in a long time! Generally though when traffic is stacked up I find a surprising number of motorists pull quite far over to let you move past safely.

Having said that there's definitely a certain type of driver that wants to make a scene to kill time if they're stood in traffic, and especially if they see you have a camera on you. Like ducatiman says, just avoid aggro and focus on making progress.
that is pretty much the situation anywhere in the UK. very few issues at all. most drivers just make room probably due to us being a nation of bikers and most would have ridden one at some time so understand the reason you have a bike.

of course there will always be the BMW/AUDI nut case somewhere around but with practice it's easy to handle them. the go pro does help I find by pointing to it and nodding with " well done, you will be on U-tube tonight and in the police computer tomorrow" usually works well.

one occasion a while back I got the most arrogant BMW driver pull alongside me at some lights (I was the first one there) after trying to force me off the road 1/2 a mile back. obviously in the mood for a race from the lights. so I nodded to him revved up the bike. "like lets go". then when the lights changed I just plodded up the road with him screeching tyres and taking off like a bat out of hell. 100yards further along a police car lights flashing zoomed past. and caught him before the next set of lights and pulled him over. as I went passed I gave him a wave and a nod.
in a serves you right. sort of way. but these things are very rare here in the UK.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The problem with riding with FU attitude is that sooner or later you're bound to come up against a driver with a similar mindset. In the US, at least, there's a good possibilty that driver has a pistol in his glove box. Even if he's a lousy shot and fails to give you lead poisoning, if he's that mad he'll just go with plan B and kill you with his car. Motorcyclists by definition are at a tactical disadvantage.

Best to interact as little as possible with other drivers because you have no clue who you are dealing with. Might be a nut job.

P.S: I had an "Easy Rider" moment decades ago. All I did was ride past the guy (in the left lane, at legal speed) on the freeway. For whatever reason he took it personally, gunned it, pulled up alongside me, and aimed a pistol at me. I don't ever want a repeat of that scenario.

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
Fortunately I've always had "thumbs up" type interactions with car/SUV drivers, no confrontations whatsoever. I dunno...I'd guess oogling my Ducati's takes precedence over any negativity. Frankly, as I've posted, I consciously avoid any riding situations which could be construed as aggressive or confrontational to any auto drivers.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, my buddy texts me today. Says I need to watch the Russel Crowe movie, "Unhinged". (It's on Amazon Prime is you have it.)

I watched it...totally dumb...but it had to do with road rage. Crowe is psycho from RR and goes around stalking and killing people that pissed him off.

Anyway, thought I'd post this since we're on the topic. 😎

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
stalking and killing people
I'll refrain from comment other than...this topic diversion is not a valid, realistic subject even worthy of our EX forum.....though you are free to discuss what you like.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can’t control other peoples outlooks, but you sure can instigate trouble. Ride like you don’t want to share near death experiences rather than seeing how many you can count each outing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts