Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a set of clip-ons from my gsx-r600, and my forks are larger than my brothers 89 ex500. He would like the clip-on look/feel, and doesn't really want to buy the woodcraft ones and would preferr actual clip-ons, that bolt to the fork tubes.

Is there any way to make a filler piece so that the larger clip-ons can be bolted to the smaller fork tubes? or would that affect the clamping force or something?

Thanks!

Nate

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
you could probably figure out some way to make it work, however the problem with the regular clip ons is that when you turn the bars all the way to the left or right, they will hit the tank.

you can weld a piece of steel onto the steering lock on the triple tree, that will prevent it from hitting, but then you lose your lock.

if you dont care, then just put em on. but they probably wont work with the upper fairing either.

another idea is to lower the front a bit by sliding the forks up through the triple tree. then you could clamp them onto the fork above the triple.

A

·
0 Posts
dragknee said:
you could probably figure out some way to make it work, however the problem with the regular clip ons is that when you turn the bars all the way to the left or right, they will hit the tank.

you can weld a piece of steel onto the steering lock on the triple tree, that will prevent it from hitting, but then you lose your lock.

if you dont care, then just put em on. but they probably wont work with the upper fairing either.

another idea is to lower the front a bit by sliding the forks up through the triple tree. then you could clamp them onto the fork above the triple.
I know this is an older thread but got clip on on the way wander if you or anyone has done the clip ons with the plastic on, and/or the sliding of the forks through the triple how did it affect your ride, did you like it or no?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Ammadien said:
He would like the clip-on look/feel, and doesn't really want to buy the woodcraft ones and would preferr actual clip-ons, that bolt to the fork tubes. \
woodcraft makes a set of real clip ons too

A

·
0 Posts
But what about the plastic's, I am suspecting if I want to keep them may a little trimming maybe?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i dont think its possible to run true clip ons with the stock plastic. maybe if you lowered the front a bit and mounted them above the yoke. but i think it will have an adverse effect on handling.

A

·
0 Posts
Noted, hopefully they will be here Mon or Tues and I get to clip them on and see.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
If you want to make the clipons fit without hitting the gauges or the tank you have to raise the forks up in the triple tree about 2". You then can mount them on. I never had the plastic fairing with my clipons so I don't know what needs done with it. Here are some pics of the clipons above the triple.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jadebrecks/page2/

A

·
0 Posts
Looks good, am thinking I may be "modifiing" the plastics a little these clip ons I ordered were the Vortec or some spelling like that just remember they are the 37mm and wanting to lay down more, I will post here in this thread as soon as I get them installed where I am happy with them

But since you have them and you raised the forks are you laying down more? Or is the Bike Just laying down more?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I also have a set of Vortex clipons. Were did you find yours? I did notice a difference in leaning when I had them above the triple. It isn't anything killer but it is deffinitely different. Now I have them below the triple.

A

·
0 Posts
I found them on our favorite shopping mall site, eBay. $59.00 USD w/shipping I am thinking?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Thats were I got mine but I haven't seen them since. Let me know how it goes.

A

·
0 Posts
370027797546 <---- Looked it up, I was way off it was 152.00 plus shipping was thinking of something else I am guessing? Type in that numer @ eBay that will get you to the one I bought and go from there, not sure how long they keep it showing after sold though.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Thanks. I was going to say I spent allot more than 50 for mine but I figured you got a killer deal. did you go black or chrome?

A

·
0 Posts
Aphrodite said:
370027797546 <---- Looked it up, I was way off it was 152.00 plus shipping was thinking of something else I am guessing? Type in that numer @ eBay that will get you to the one I bought and go from there, not sure how long they keep it showing after sold though.
They are black, but notice I goofed on the price it was more.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Let me know how you like them.

A

·
0 Posts
I started a new thread but here is the single of the differance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts