Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gone through the trouble of customizing the ex500 rear by installing a full-size wide tire/wheel? If so, how much did it cost to do?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Welcome here :) We problably can figure out an answer for any questions you may write here :)

You'd probably have to change the whole swingarm assembly at the same time..

getting a wider rear would get the bike 'flickability' out the windows though :-\

Some already did a conversion like that, getting CBR parts or R1/R6 parts, they can probably tell you better how much $ it costs.

I got a 1st gen with wider tires than normal, just the bigger tires on the stock rims did make a difference ;)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Depends what parts you can find for what price, i have a early Ninja 600 alum swing arm which runs a 17" GSXR rim with a 160/60/17.
Old swing arms ought be cheap on Ebay.
Didn't cost me anything 'casue the race shop had the parts lying around and they sponsored me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm not sure whats included, but BRG sells a kit...

http://www.brgracing.com/ex500swingarm.html

the pictures show captive spacers, a cush drive, brake caliper mount, rear swing arm, and 2 other parts that I'm not familiar with, thier description is:

One of the most important modifications to an EX500 racebike. Check the rules for your class! A 17 front and 17 rear gives you the best tire choices. Uses an 87/89 600R swing arm, an F2/F3 rear wheel, cush drive, rear brake caliper, and master cylinder, EX bell cranks and dog bones. If you send us the parts, you might save some money. The rear wheel and drive gear gets centered to the frame and engine. You also end up with captive spacers. A big plus when you change tires as often as a racer does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what about wit original s/a?
I was told 150 mm was all you could get on a stock s/a w/o any mods or rubbing is that true?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts