Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just thought I would drop ya all a link to pics of my ex500 project for those that might be interested . I have'nt been able to work on it the last couple of weeks but I hope to have it done hopefully in about a week and a half. Let me know if you have any questions.
Rod

http://picasaweb.google.ca/teachtofix/Ex500project

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
What do you intend to do to it ? :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Now that's a fun project!
That's quite the muffler... what's your plan to hook it to the exhaust ports?
Two into one, obviously, but at what distance will you join the two?

$13 seat repair with fabric, staples and 2 beers.
Won't the beers make the seat lumpy? ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the bike mainly to fix up and sell at first or maybe for my wife. But I'm kinda taking a liking to the little thing. I will probably at least plate it for this season and see how I like it. As for the exhaust fabrication I plan on just checking out what kind of room I have to play with under the lower fairing and I do want to keep the centre stand as well. So I have those two variables to work around. I will be sure to take lots more pics of the process. I would prefer to spend alot more time tinkering with it but I have to finish up a couple more customers bikes before I can concentrate on it a little more. I really did not see myself riding one of these little guys but from what I read from all you folks here on the forum it sounds like these things are a blast to ride, so what the heck maybe it is time for me to try a twin once again.As for the 2 beers in the seat. I guess I could say "in case of emergency, break seat"
Rod

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Roddy said:
As for the 2 beers in the seat. I guess I could say "in case of emergency, break seat"
Rod
You're fitting in here nicely. 8)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These pics are taken in my classroom. I teach high school Autoshop and welding. I have 10 of those 5.3L GM V8's in the shop for my students to teardown and reassemble as part of my grade 10 Autoshop program. I'm hoping that I will be happy enough with the 500's power output, because sometimes I have one to many cups of coffee at work and get crazy ideas with engines. What do you think, is the world ready for an EX5.3L? Check out my project from last year at
http://rodwith86rad.tripod.com/

It doesn't have a V8 but it was a fun little project to show the kids that you don't have to have your own TV program to build a custom motorcycle. And it also helps me to be a bit of a motorcycle advocate with them in showing that you can do some fun things with motorcycles on a small budget.
Rod

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hey that's cool little Frankenstein mo-chine you've put together there!

Would have loved to had your class when I was a teen. Or heck... now. : ]
Great lesson for the kids: the devil is in the details... proper fitment, alignment, construction...

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeh just clicked on teh yamaha project and the first thing I looked at was the gas tank and though "oh a naked honda, no it says yamaha! huh?"

looks good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
5.3 L bike. Eat that Boss Hoss! If you get a hair up your a$$, ill fly out there and help you build that beast. Seriously, ill take a month off school/ work to make a v8 bike.

PM me!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Roddy said:
These pics are taken in my classroom. I teach high school Autoshop and welding. I have 10 of those 5.3L GM V8's in the shop for my students to teardown and reassemble as part of my grade 10 Autoshop program. I'm hoping that I will be happy enough with the 500's power output, because sometimes I have one to many cups of coffee at work and get crazy ideas with engines. What do you think, is the world ready for an EX5.3L? Check out my project from last year at
http://rodwith86rad.tripod.com/

It doesn't have a V8 but it was a fun little project to show the kids that you don't have to have your own TV program to build a custom motorcycle. And it also helps me to be a bit of a motorcycle advocate with them in showing that you can do some fun things with motorcycles on a small budget.
Rod
Holy crap, nice looking Radian!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very Nice Work! Im glad to see that some of the youngsters are learning to be Gear heads! They are a lucky bunch to have you as their teacher. I like your style. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts