Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does this mean? i wiped it off ( wasnt much , maybe a big drop). will see if anything else accumulates when i get back home tonite.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
I'm sure it'll be OK to ride. Many do and don't realize they have a leaky fork. The seal is what's leaking. you have to replace it. Dad or FOG should be able to give you a good instructions on how to go about it.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
That leak is likely to be a stone ding on the shinny part of the tube. Find it and stone it off Immediately. Then will talk about how to change seals.

FOG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FOG said:
That leak is likely to be a stone ding on the shinny part of the tube. Find it and stone it off Immediately. Then will talk about how to change seals.

FOG
you mean find the stone attached to the tube and take it off right? ???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
dansdad said:
FOG said:

FOG
I think he's what's 'stoned' . LOL

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
dansdad said:
FOG said:

FOG
No a stone from the road has made a tiny nick in the surfase of the fork tube. as that nick which has a up component passes through the seal it has cut a groove . this is where your "leak" comes from.

By stone it I mean tak a fine knife sharpening oilstone and rub the nick smooth. If you lucky you might get away with just that.
Otherwise it means fork removal and dissasembly to reolace the seal.

Do It Now!!!!

FOG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i took a closer look at the fork and was able to find a very small nick...also found that the black rubber/plastic ring that wraps around the outer tube end has cracks in several places...does that mean anything?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
That is a dust seal . And if it's cracked bad , then trash maybe what has caused your leaking fork . You should replace your fork seals . They are a PIA , but not tat hard of a job . Also if you replace them yourself it's a very cheap job to preform .

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
dansdad said:
well, i took a closer look at the fork and was able to find a very small nick...also found that the black rubber/plastic ring that wraps around the outer tube end has cracks in several places...does that mean anything?
Yeah Yeah, But did you stone it off. That's all it takes to damage the seal.

FOG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after looing at it again in the daylight i found severeal rough spots...is it ok to just stone all that i find?.

and then what do i do afterwards if the leak still leaks?

thanks by the way FOG and Lucky

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
dansdad said:
after looing at it again in the daylight i found severeal rough spots...is it ok to just stone all that i find?.

and then what do i do afterwards if the leak still leaks?

thanks by the way FOG and Lucky
Yes stone them all check the other fork too. The only fix is new seals. But if you don't get the forks smooth the new seals will leak too.

FOG

·
Registered
96 Posts
You won't likely be able to notice a leak over a lunch time ride. I have the same situation, but my tubes are pretty well F'd; there's so many dings and what not that I really need a new tube now. But I hadn't thought about surfacing the tube, the cheap solution is always worth a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts