Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Friends,
Its been years since my last post.

On my 2006 Ninja 500R almost all of the lights are out on my instrument cluster.

I read through the posts from others who did it. Watched some youtube videos. Went to my local bike shop to grab the T10's plus confirm that my approach was right.
Attempted the repair today. Got the three phillips screws out without issue but I ran into trouble at the hex bolts.

Please note I am a nervous wrench and typically pay for repairs vs attempting it myself for fear of making it worse

I am trying to do this repair without having to do more than pull the instrument panel out.

It feels like there might be a washer or something that helps the hex bolt attach to the frame. If there is a washer, for those of you who have done this repair, how do you line the washer up with the bolt? There is so little space to get your fingers in behind.

Hopefully it is merely held on by the two hex bolts, at which point I ask, what is/are your favourite ways to encourage the bolt to loosen.

Attaching a picture to show the bolt and space relation.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

IMG-20210619-WA0000.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
IIRC you don't have to take out the cluster to replace any of the bulbs. I know you can replace all of the 1.7w bulbs with the cluster on the bike. You need to remove the main fairing to access behind the cluster.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I took the cluster out, pretty fast and easy compared to my 90s VFRs. I got red LEDs in mine, look really cool. The cluster comes out once you remove the side triangle inner faring parts, and the inner cluster shroud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you bpe and ridervfr for your responses.
It was a rough week so I didn't get a chance to work on the bike until this morning. Since I didn't have any luck going in through the dash, I toook bpe's suggestion and went in the other way. Got the mirrors and fairing shifted but still could'nt see/reach in well enough for the next step. So off went the windscreen.
By this point I was pretty nervous about being able to get it all back together. Long story short I now have a working instrument cluster. The only casualty is the scratch I got on the fairing where it rubbed against the frame as I was trying to slip it back into position.New skill acquired. Perhaps I will have better luck in a few weeks when the 3W LEDs get here. before-and-after.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the 74's showed up finally, so I pulled the fairing off again to swap them out. I had limited success this time. I needed to pull off the meter cover and detach the cluster from the frame, just to get enough room to pull out the two bulbs at the top. I could not get the bulb for the high beam to work and neither of the old bulbs worked in there either. So I guess that it is electrical, if it was fuse, then wouldn't the entire cluster be out?

I could not get any of the three bulbs out from the bottom. I don't think that my hands are too large, large for a chick maybe but shouldn't that still be plenty small enough? I have no idea how you can pull those bulb holders out, as it is partially obscured by a metal bar. Can you pull those holders out without taking any more of the bike apart?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
got a photo of the back of the clock set. if it's like the UK models (it should be) the rubber bulb holders just pull out of the plastic housing. if you can't get to some of them due to the mounting bracket. then remove the bracket. it's held in place by 4x 8mm nuts. (don't overtighten them on reassembly) they can easily break the mounts on the housing.
this job should be very simple once you have removed the front fairing and unscrewed the speedo cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts