Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here’s my issue...what I thought would be a simple swap is getting frustrating. Note- this is a clean ‘07, all electrics worked perfectly prior to the start of the swap. Replaced the relay to accommodate LED’s, put in new headlight, Check. It works. Put in LED dash lights next, now the 3 main (194’s) work, but only two of the five smaller (74’s) work...the green neutral and red oil indicator lights. The green dash signal lights and blue high beam do not. I put the original 74 bulbs back in, now they arent working either. The original 194 halogen bulbs DO work though as I rechecked them too. Thought some of the leds might be bad, so I got more. Nope, any I put in do not work in these spots. I’ve rotated them also for polarity possibilities, nothing. Rear turn signals, break lights, all working. Front signals working. What could this be?? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd suggest trying a voltmeter to see if you're actually getting any voltage at those spots not working. Could be a lite film or corrosion maybe over the connections of course I'm just spit balling here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you put the original bulbs back and they don't work, then I would say you have an issue with the wiring. Check to make sure nothing is loose or came part way unplugged. A voltmeter would verify if you have power to the connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im
I'd suggest trying a voltmeter to see if you're actually getting any voltage at those spots not working. Could be a lite film or corrosion maybe over the connections of course I'm just spit balling here.

I will certainly do that, thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ko
If you put the original bulbs back and they don't work, then I would say you have an issue with the wiring. Check to make sure nothing is loose or came part way unplugged. A voltmeter would verify if you have power to the connector.
I did examine any wiring I could see without pulling the tank off, but I am not convinced there isnt a wiring problem that I may have inadvertently caused, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
437 Posts
So you put the original bulbs back and they work? For the ones that don't work I'd check the wiring, the the ones that do work is look at the LEDs and verify polarity and if they work.

Do you have a wiring diagram? It will help. There are several online but a good service manual is hard to beat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not have a wiring diagram. The original bulbs that work are the larger, main dash bulbs. Three of the smaller ones do not. Will be checking with a multimeter shortly to see if there's voltage getting to them. I'll look into getting a service manual as well, thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I do not have a wiring diagram. The original bulbs that work are the larger, main dash bulbs. Three of the smaller ones do not. Will be checking with a multimeter shortly to see if there's voltage getting to them. I'll look into getting a service manual as well, thanks!
2nd gen roadmap if I recall correctly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so multimeter (set at 200m, wasnt reading at 20 setting) showed reading at .5 at nonfunctioning bulb site and 1.5 at functioning. I dont know what this means, never done this before!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Take out one of the functioning known led. Plug in that connector the other 3 non functioning leds to test. If at first try they don't work, try rotating the bulb 180deg to invert polarity. This will tell you for sure if the fault is at the led or in the wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: It was the bulbs, as far as I can tell. I ordered a different brand, these having the filament wrap under the wedge instead of just along the sides. I thought they might make better contact in the socket and they must. Thanks to everyone who contributed and gave advice, I appreciate it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts