Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

3181 - 3191 of 3191 Posts

·
Banned
4,959 Posts
a conversation piece and rare bird indeed, @jonh has brought it a long way. Kudos to you, sir.
Thank's Duc,
Yeah it was a bit of a mess (understatement,lol) when I got it.

First designed in 1944, it was Velocette's best selling bike. Any old Brit movie fans will have seen one as the local bobbies police bike,LOL.
Got to say, it's actually not bad to ride, but any "quick" stops require a half hours forward planning,😁

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Pictured elsewhere, but here is a fresh pic of Big Red. 40MPG on the freeway/interstate/motorway, which is not bad for 1064cc. Plugs and valves right in your face. Just bought a much improved shift pawl spring (OEMs break all the time) and a shift linkage ratio extender which gives shorter shift throws. All of this produced by the V11 Lemans Research and Engineering Corporation - otherwise known as the fanatical members of www.v11lemans.com. One fine day I'll figure out how to post a sound clip.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's a really smart looking bike. I've always liked MG's, all the way from the 70's with their angular lines. The engine configuration makes sense, and I feel I could even live with the quirky tranny. An old riding buddy of mine used to go through bikes every year until he came across a LeMans, and then he found himself a keeper.

The fuel consumption comment in your post reminds me that people seem to think motorcycles are economical. My Goldwing is a flat-six 1832cc motor, generating 118 hp and 123 ft/lb. Officially it's supposed to get 42 mpg, but I'm getting a real world 40 mpg (18 years and 65,000 miles will do that, plus I don't sit on the highway for most of my miles). I, too was think not bad for such a large engine lugging a heavy bike. I had this exact thought just the other day as I was gassing....Honda is getting the same highway economy from a Civic....even heavier and carrying 3 extra people. My mpg didn't seem so awesome all of a sudden.

And, yes, you need to upload a sound clip. Two in fact, one at idle and one at full chat.... 😈

3181 - 3191 of 3191 Posts