Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks!

Will also drop a few more pictures I took today after a wash and a trip down the PCH. First non-short trip on a bike (about 80 miles total). 70+ mph without a windscreen gets kind of rough lol

Ended up tailing a pair of dudes on BMW S1000RRs, really opened my eyes up to how much slower the 500 is lol. 50hp vs. 200hp is hilarious, they walked away from me at stoplights without even trying. Also definitely want to buy the fogbones sometime, could really use the quicker turn-in. Passed/was passed by plenty of other bikes, seemed like people were happy to take advantage of the weather today.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
im putting bar end mirrors on right now but i cant seem to loosten the bar end screws, anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Vecktor same here, I've got an impact driver in the post somewhere, if that doesn't work then a set of easy-outs will have to be ordered. Apparently some of the workers were a bit more generous with the loctite when they built them :LOL:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
im putting bar end mirrors on right now but i cant seem to loosten the bar end screws, anyone else having this problem?
apologies for the no reply, the new layout has put me off a bit lol (and also i just bought Animal Crossing), but yeah you just have to force it. The loctite was pretty tough. I think I used a perfectly sized/shaped screw head and used a wrench to turn it lol.

More updates:
1) Got some decals on there. I knew they'd "ruin" the super minimal aesthetic and might put off some people, but it's my bike so...
Says "streetfighter" on the tank and "Junketsu" on the tail.
IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0232.JPG

2) Painted the exhaust headers and radiator side pieces. Used Rustoleum high-heat spray paint, good for 2000deg. F. Pretty happy with the results. Left the mufflers unpainted, since I'm gonna replace them (or at least the banged-up right side, if I can find a stock can for a decent price).
IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0235.JPG

3) Dropped it for the first time lol. Short, but tiring ride home from work, pulled into my garage, guess the kickstand wasn't properly down when I got off, and there it fell. Was easier than I expected to pick up, and the only damage was a small scratch near the grab handle where it landed on a bottle of coolant, and a minuscule scuff on the bar end mirror. Live and learn, lol.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have you considered doing the coil over plug modification to clean the street fighter aesthetic? I like the job You are doin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have you considered doing the coil over plug modification to clean the street fighter aesthetic? I like the job You are doin.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that mod, will definitely look into it. Those bits have bothered me for a while, wasn't sure if there was anything I could do about them.
Next visual mod though is probably gonna be replacing the stock coolant overflow resevoir with something sleeker, I was fine with it before but now it's kind of bugging me, replacing it should be reasonably cheap and easy provided I can actually get out and get some parts to do it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
For the expansion tank with the Shoei sticker on it: Get some fusion primer and spray the tank. Then, some aerosol truck bed liner or even car trunk paint truk paints needs clearcoat) will make it look less like a tumor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For the expansion tank with the Shoei sticker on it: Get some fusion primer and spray the tank. Then, some aerosol truck bed liner or even car trunk paint truk paints needs clearcoat) will make it look less like a tumor.
Appreciate the advice, will probably end up painting it in the meanwhile.

Bringing up the coils again, I decided to take a look at them (the right side on anyway, since it sticks out unlike the left side) and realized I could relocate the unit to the other side of the bracket to make it flush with the whole thing. That, and a bit of electric tape because I'm too lazy to paint it, actually makes a pretty nice difference. Anyone know any downsides/dangers? Other than a bit more inconvenience if I ever have to access the thing, doesn't seem like it'd cause issues.
IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0247.JPG

·
Registered
38 Posts
Appreciate the advice, will probably end up painting it in the meanwhile.

Bringing up the coils again, I decided to take a look at them (the right side on anyway, since it sticks out unlike the left side) and realized I could relocate the unit to the other side of the bracket to make it flush with the whole thing. That, and a bit of electric tape because I'm too lazy to paint it, actually makes a pretty nice difference. Anyone know any downsides/dangers? Other than a bit more inconvenience if I ever have to access the thing, doesn't seem like it'd cause issues.
View attachment 51126 View attachment 51127
That's handy to know that works, was wondering what to do with mine. Liking the look so far, where did the tank pads come from?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's handy to know that works, was wondering what to do with mine. Liking the look so far, where did the tank pads come from?
They came installed when I bought the bike, I think they're just some cheap aliexpress pads. They say "savage" on them, and the only match I can find are from there. Probably gonna swap them out someday with something with a bit better grip.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Coil on plug is super easy and will clean up the entire mess and eliminate any problems with bad caps or wires. Less than $10/pair on eBay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Coil on plug is super easy and will clean up the entire mess and eliminate any problems with bad caps or wires. Less than $10/pair on eBay.
Is it a plug'n'play thing or is there much modification to do? It's not something I've seen before.

EDIT: is this the zx coil pack sticky from the electrical forum?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is it a plug'n'play thing or is there much modification to do? It's not something I've seen before.

EDIT: is this the zx coil pack sticky from the electrical forum?
AFAIK its just plug and play, but some members who have done this mod adds some kind of pvc pipe to improve the coil holding over plug. Can't remember if @Saabnut or @po18guy have more info about it. And yes, it's that thread.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you want the sealed, waterproof wiring connectors (a very good idea), you can pick up a salvaged ZX6R or Ninja 650 wiring harness on eBay. You could possibly make up the connectors yourelf, but it doesn't sound like you hacve all thart much wiring experience(?). I don't think the wiring from the EX harness will reach to the coil-on-plug units, but it is easy to make some extensions, or just some .250" male blade terminals crimped or soldered onto the salvaged ZX6R or Ninja 650 connectors. It's easier than it sounds. As to keeping the coils from wobbling on the plugs, you can make a really simple bracket that attaches to the old P.A.I.R. emission valve mounting bosses that are directly ahead of each plug. The pics in the other thread should make it clear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2) Painted the exhaust headers and radiator side pieces. Used Rustoleum high-heat spray paint, good for 2000deg. F. Pretty happy with the results.
The bike is looking great - what a transformation! Love the white and glad you kept the tank grips. I'm also going to paint my exhaust as soon as the temp breaks 50 for a solid 24hrs. I plan to use the same paint so let me know if you notice any problems!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The bike is looking great - what a transformation! Love the white and glad you kept the tank grips. I'm also going to paint my exhaust as soon as the temp breaks 50 for a solid 24hrs. I plan to use the same paint so let me know if you notice any problems!
Thanks! No problems so far, the paint was real easy to work with, even with the wind I was dealing with.
Good luck with the temperature lol, it's been a beautiful week out here, unfortunate that I haven't had much chance to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey so i got the same speedo you recommended, and also i got a round halo headlight. the thing is the headlight has a green and a red wire, one for turn signals and one for ground. how do i connect the 4 wires (r turn signal, L turn signal, ground, running light) to those 2 wires from the headlight?

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey so i got the same speedo you recommended, and also i got a round halo headlight. the thing is the headlight has a green and a red wire, one for turn signals and one for ground. how do i connect the 4 wires (r turn signal, L turn signal, ground, running light) to those 2 wires from the headlight?
Can you post a pic of the connectors on your headlight? If it's anything like mine the green and red wires are for the turn signals and running light respectively, with an H4 connector running the dipped beam and main beam. The ground for the whole unit runs through the main H4 connector. What I plan on doing is connecting the running light to the side light loom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you post a pic of the connectors on your headlight? If it's anything like mine the green and red wires are for the turn signals and running light respectively, with an H4 connector running the dipped beam and main beam. The ground for the whole unit runs through the main H4 connector. What I plan on doing is connecting the running light to the side light loom.

(1) the connector on the bike containing the ground, 2 turn signals, and running light

(2) my headlight only has a red and a green wire :\

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 51179 (1) the connector on the bike containing the ground, 2 turn signals, and running light

View attachment 51180 (2) my headlight only has a red and a green wire :\
Your headlight is just like mine then.

So far as I know, the ground for the whole light, including the running light and turn signals, runs through the big connector, so you should only need to connect the positive sides of the original wiring to the new wires.

Not sure about how to do both turn signals, I was going to leave it and just use the running light, although UK spec bikes don't have the running light wire in the red connector.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts