Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your headlight is just like mine then.

So far as I know, the ground for the whole light, including the running light and turn signals, runs through the big connector, so you should only need to connect the positive sides of the original wiring to the new wires.

Not sure about how to do both turn signals, I was going to leave it and just use the running light, although UK spec bikes don't have the running light wire in the red connector.
sorry im not super knowledgeable about this stuff. Which wires should i connect to the ground of the headlight, and which should i use to connect to the positives on the headlight?

·
Registered
37 Posts
sorry im not super knowledgeable about this stuff. Which wires should i connect to the ground of the headlight, and which should i use to connect to the positives on the headlight?
For the ground, it should work just through connecting the big main connector, as the grounding circuit in the bike should just be one big circuit.

For the running lights, out of the red connector you should have I think two blue wires? Connect one of those to the green wire. On the same red connector, you should have a grey wire and a green wire, for the turn signals. Connect those to the red wire, although with this you might need to add something in to stop it from flashing both turn signals every time. I think it is done the same way as connecting the speedometer indicator lights.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the ground, it should work just through connecting the big main connector, as the grounding circuit in the bike should just be one big circuit.

For the running lights, out of the red connector you should have I think two blue wires? Connect one of those to the green wire. On the same red connector, you should have a grey wire and a green wire, for the turn signals. Connect those to the red wire, although with this you might need to add something in to stop it from flashing both turn signals every time. I think it is done the same way as connecting the speedometer indicator lights.
I would like to preface this with the fact that I'm no expert, so if someone knows better please jump in!

·
Registered
14 Posts

all lights are blinking when i use turn signals, even the newly connected front ones, what do i use to split it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think there was something about that earlier in this thread, as the speedo you have can give the same issue. I haven't wired the turn signals into mine so I'm not sure

·
Registered
37 Posts
Updating for posterity:

1) Got the speedo wired up properly, not too many issues. A few notes in case anyone is interested in getting the same speedo:
-Backlight and highbeam light wired up as expected
-Neutral light and oil light leads had to be swapped (positive to original ground and vice versa)
-All 4 signals will flash if you try to just wire up both turn signal lights straight to the single speedo turn signal indicator. You'll need diodes on the main lead to restrict electric flow up into the speedo and not back down into the opposite side signal wire. There are inline diodes for motorcycles, but I went and got a set of two 33W diodes from an electronics store for 98¢, and wired/soldered it up myself. Works fine, if not a bit sketch.
I tucked the excess wire into the headlight housing, so it all looks fairly clean.

2) Attempted to wrap the bike, gave up after attempting to do the first side fairing. Probably possible, but the curves are tough, and it took me about 4 hours to do a garbage job on one fairing. Decided I'm much better at painting, not sure why i didn't decide to go with that in the first place. Oh well, $50 mistake.
@Vecktor just found it, look at point number 1, you'll need this for the Speedo too

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Vecktor just found it, look at point number 1, you'll need this for the Speedo too
hey, i saw that and the directions are just telling me what i need to do but don't really tell me what to do. Like i said im not very knowledgeable in this stuff, and i looked up that i need to use a diode so i can get electricity to one turn signal but dont want it running back thats why its causing everything to flash, I just don't know how to do it and the quote above doesnt explain it.

Im going to go buy a couple diodes right now and try to fiddle with stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey, i saw that and the directions are just telling me what i need to do but don't really tell me what to do. Like i said im not very knowledgeable in this stuff, and i looked up that i need to use a diode so i can get electricity to one turn signal but dont want it running back thats why its causing everything to flash, I just don't know how to do it and the quote above doesnt explain it.

Im going to go buy a couple diodes right now and try to fiddle with stuff.
So, what you want to do is wire the diode between the grey/green wires from the turn signals and the green wire from your light, one diode per turn signal wire, so that the current goes from the grey/green turn signal wires into the green headlight wire. The diode should have an indicator on it as to which way the current can flow, usually a silver band around the diode. What you want is the silver band pointing to the green headlight wire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, what you want to do is wire the diode between the grey/green wires from the turn signals and the green wire from your light, one diode per turn signal wire, so that the current goes from the grey/green turn signal wires into the green headlight wire. The diode should have an indicator on it as to which way the current can flow, usually a silver band around the diode. What you want is the silver band pointing to the green headlight wire.
THANK YOU WILL TRY IT!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
@Vecktor I hope I wasn't being too condescending, this is the sort of stuff I needed before I learned what I have.

As a bit of extra info, if the diodes don't have an arrow or a coloured band or anything particularly obvious, it's the negative end that points to the green headlight wire (silver band should be negative)

Hopefully this all works for you :)

@littleprince sorry to hijack your thread a bit :oops:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
@ajbenson13, no worries, appreciate you helping the guy out. Haven't been active here much since I've been kinda stressed out with these online classes haha.

Currently not doing much with my bike (and probably won't until all this covid stuff dies down a bit), just been enjoying riding it to work and around town. Somehow developed a slow leak in my front tire though, loses 2-3 PSI a day and I can't find the source, so I might just replace it asap.

PO installed some Shinko SR740s, and while I haven't heard great things about the brand, I've heard good things about the tire itself, and since it's half as expensive as most other options I might buy a new one as a replacement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
well, due to my being incredibly picky about the overall flow/aesthetic of my bike (and any other possessions, really), I've made the decision to repaint it satin black. Kinda dumb since it's only been like 2 months, but I decided I don't like all the flaws in my first paint job, and I don't like the way the white accentuates some of the lines on this bike that I don't really like (particularly the way the tank cuts off at like a 40° angle).

decided I also might as well finally repaint the chipped-to-hell forks, and replace the exhaust gaskets which I failed to do when I repainted the exhaust. Might also finally get the front tire replaced while it's off the bike anyway. Also gonna replace the headlight with an LED, and the bar-end mirrors to some more raised up ones. it's gonna be a mess in my garage for the next week lol.

IMG_0499.jpg IMG_0500.jpg

Another note, for posterity: In truth, I was very tempted to sell this bike for super cheap and buy my dream bike (an original SOHC Honda CB750), but I realized a few things:
1) I've only had this bike for like 3 months and I'd still like to get better at riding and customizing/tinkering with it.
2) COVID means that I have less work hours = less money; and that stores are closed or I have to be super careful outside = pain in the ass to get parts for a new bike.
3) I felt kinda bad just dumping the bike, I wanted to do it justice and make it not look like crap before I sold it lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Paint job largely done, gonna need a few touch ups though (the top of the tank looks particularly stripey for some reason). Have new grips and rear turn signals coming in, gonna get some vinyl to reupholster the seat, and about to order a new LED headlight. Plus new tank grips. Not sure if I want to buy some, or DIY a set so I can get the shape I actually want.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts