Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip a little later this summer, going from Austin TX to Denver (and possibly elsewhere depending on how I feel once I get there). Since the longest I've ridden is about 30 miles, do you guys have any tips for long road trips?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Take a stretch break every hour, even if you don't feel the need, it will make a big difference at the end of the day ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Frog said:
Take a stretch break every hour, even if you don't feel the need, it will make a big difference at the end of the day ;)
Make sure you drink enough water, if you get hot and sweat and get dehydrated, riding will be a chore.

Also if you do drink enough liquids, then after riding for about an hour you'll need to stop not only to stretch, but to pee as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The most I've done is 80 miles on my 500 in one solid run. I did have to stretch a little when I got home but the EX is a pretty darn comfortable ride. ;D

By the way, I'm in Round Rock and I've been entertaining some some long rides. Let me know if you'd be interested in picking a direction and going.

There's a pretty good Sport Touring Thread...over here

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=342710

and this one from the AMA

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/33secrets.asp

Z

·
0 Posts
I try to do at least 2 "longer" trips per year and riding 14-16 hours in one day is typical. We usually stop about every 150 miles or so to stretch, leave a leak (not take a leak), fuel up, etc... Doesn't sound too far but after about 150 miles, it feels good to walk around and loosen up and feel fresh again. It's amazing how much a 15 minute stop makes you feel.

You may want to look at buying a throttle lock like a Vista cruise (this is the one I bought but there are several to choose from). Only about 20 bucks. It's nice because you just lock the throttle on and you can remove your right hand from the throttle to wiggle your wrist or flex your fingers for a few moments. Feels good. Obviously the lock does not keep a constant speed like cruise control so if you go up a hill or grade, the bike will slow down unless you apply more throttle.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeh the break thing is big. I take a break every 100 miles, walk around for 20 minutes or so, stretch, drink water snack and look over the bike.

The throttle lock is a huge plus, your right arm will get tired and it helps to switch hands on the handlebars.

Stretch before you start, especially your upper back, shoulders and legs.

Evenly pack your load, if it is uneven the bike will constantly want to turn, and it will take alot out of you to keep it straight.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ive also hear to move around a bit and change your position from time to time to avoid cramping. they say after you start getting sore your screwed so try and mix it up.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Good point.

That's why I've got my highway pegs, well that and the fact it's pretty much the best engine guard I've found fo cheap ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey, I did close to that ride last summer. I went from Dallas to Ft. Collins. Ended up a great trip. The first best piece of advice is to take a practice run. On some weekend just ride for 100+ miles. You will learn more from that then any advice here. I did that and had some new revelations. Some of the things that were helpful: of course use ear plugs. I also had a corbin seat which I highly recommend. I had a tank bag with a camel bak in it. So while riding, I could get a nozzle through my helmet and get a drink while riding. Very refreshing and easy to keep hydrated. I just strapped a tent and supplies on the back and camped half way in-between just north of Amarillo. I made the mistake of just taking up 287 all the way which was the wrong way to go. On way back I went on I25 is MUCH better!! I went through 300 miles of rain so make sure you have rain gear. PM me your email and I can send you some pictures and info about my trip if your interested. It’s a fun adventure!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been planning on doing a few practice runs, probably to Marble Falls (~60 mi each way) or Bastrop State Park (there's a nice 11mi twisty from there to Buechser state park, I've been that way on a bicycle a long time ago, but never on a motorcycle).

I definatly know to pack earplugs and water. A few changes of clothes and some tools that I pray I won't need is pretty much what I plan on packing. And a camera of course (pictures will be posted when I'm back). Any key Items I'm missing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Be well rested, eager to ride, and in a good attitude. The "I don't really feel like going" just makes the drive seem longer and less enjoyable.

Ear plugs are an absolute must! I always wear earplugs, even in local traffic commutes. It makes riding much more enjoyable. Bring a spare set, too. The first time I went on a long trip (300km each way), I pulled over to get off the bike for a moment and took my helmet off. I didn't notice that both plugs had fallen out (because I didn't have them fully in), and a half-hour later I realized my plugs were missing. I tried every stop along the rest of the way to find another pair with no luck. I arrived in good spirits, but with a slight headache and ringing in my ears.

Bring a watch to keep an eye on the time when you drive. Also mark your mileage whenever you fill up so you have an idea about much fuel's in the tank. It doesn't hurt to bring a cloth or Kleenex to wipe your visor down too, because you will get some guts on it :) Also bring sunglasses for sunset/sunrise.

Have fun!

F

·
0 Posts
I agree 100000 % with Frog. Get off the bike every hour even if you feel fine. I just did a trip from my home in Calgary Alberta all down the west coast highway 101 (and 1) to san diego. The first few days I didnt take many breaks at all and I paid for it big time.

C

·
0 Posts
Stopping every hour might be okay the first day, but you can stretch that out after you've ridden for a few days. Your body will eventually get better acclimated to sitting in that position and your endurance will naturally increase.
My favorite way to travel is with books-on-CD burned onto an MP3 player with these kind of earphones:

I wouldn't wear these while you're in traffic, but wind-noise is also a big contributor to fatigue. It's also good insurance against tickets, because it keeps you below 75mph so you can hear the narrator.
It's hard to resist the draw of hotel bars, but if you can minimize your uptake of spirits, that also makes for a more pleasant ride the next day.
Have a safe trip and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!
-CCinC

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
calamarichris said:
Stopping every hour might be okay the first day, but you can stretch that out after you've ridden for a few days. Your body will eventually get better acclimated to sitting in that position and your endurance will naturally increase.
yeah, i thought so too... and now i have a medical condition that is costing me over $1000...

·
Registered
244 Posts
calamarichris said:
My favorite way to travel is with books-on-CD burned onto an MP3 player with these kind of earphones:

I wouldn't wear these while you're in traffic, but wind-noise is also a big contributor to fatigue. It's also good insurance against tickets, because it keeps you below 75mph so you can hear the narrator.
It's hard to resist the draw of hotel bars, but if you can minimize your uptake of spirits, that also makes for a more pleasant ride the next day.
Have a safe trip and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!
-CCinC
Ditto. I've tested them up to well over 75mph, though. I can hear my narrator just fine... ;)

I certainly don't sit down for hours at a time, but that doesn't mean I'm stopping every hour. You can stand on the pegs, do a little dance, stretch, etc. Just don't keep still!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get a box of pre-packaged wet eyeglass towelettes for about $2.50 for a box of 50, then stick a few in an easily accessible pocket. That way you can clean that smeared grasshopper or cicada or whatever it was off your visor if you happen to be in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts