Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite small engine mechanic is doing a one year test of fuel additives.

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
thanks for follow up thread @K-woppa agree 1 month too early to tell, month 2 may start to separate the boys from the grown ups

Dude....get to the dentist please.....or at least wear a mask, will ya'?

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
#8 stabil 360 def holding its own

His thoughts on "more is better"....total agreement here, directly applies to the use of the 'ole wrench too. Overtightening so common (pilot jets, carb screws immediately come to mind)

Looking past his "toof" problem....some common sense, experience and logic in this guys' noggin'.

Thanks again for reminder @K-woppa You must have it marked on your calendar...(oh, sorry, thats so 80's).....gotta be on your phone?

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#8 stabil 360 def holding its own

His thoughts on "more is better"....total agreement here, directly applies to the use of the 'ole wrench too. Overtightening so common (pilot jets, carb screws immediately come to mind)

Looking past his "toof" problem....some common sense, experience and logic in this guys' noggin'.

Thanks again for reminder @K-woppa You must have it marked on your calendar...(oh, sorry, thats so 80's).....gotta be on your phone?
:laugh: No, I subscribe to his Youtube channel so I get a notification when a new video comes out.

BTW, I still do keep a calendar. It sits in the table so I can look at the pictures of cars while I put my boots on in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
A paper calendar? we are SO old fashioned, dude (got 1 here too, mostly to track Docs appointments these days!)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It's May. Four months gone by and all engines are still starting and running smoothly so far. Any guesses when the two untreated, ethanol blend fuels will start to cause problems?

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
The air cooled test engines in the vids are equipped with a single fuel circuit...1 fuel bowl, 1 main jet, 1 float valve housed within the carb . In contrast both EX500 starter jet and pilot jets are sized much smaller than the test engine main jets and as result, I'll submit would clog in a shorter period.
As ambient storage temps (and humidity) rise, Taryl's tests may soon become revealing. Subscribed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I usually use the the star tron fuel treatment. That's what was in the ex since it sat for four years. The gas didn't separate but the petcock was clogged with some type of blue residue, almost as though the brass line itself corroded. The little mesh filters on the lines were busted too and that was a brand new oem petcock that I installed a few months maybe before the bike sat.
Only the main line, silly me forget about trying the reserve before pulling the tank.

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
Vest and tie guy laughable. The topic applies to us all, the test premise logical and interesting. Thanks to you in starting the thread and updating, month by month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts